Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:34 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,930,909 times

Advertisements

The new study from the University Saskatchewan gave a surprising results to the authors. People who are religious lie more than people who are not.

Surprising? Probably not too many great

http://www.policymic.com/mobile/arti...money-involved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2013, 07:44 AM

20,024 posts, read 13,501,689 times
I think the conclusions that can legitimately be drawn from this in a hard and fast manner are questionable, but it is consistent with most of the studies I've seen where the moral, ethical, and social behaviors of theists are not demonstrably different from non-theists. Rates of divorce, incarceration for crimes, and other comparisons are pretty much within the margin of error from what I have seen.

If religion were essential to maintaining the very fabric of civil society and were the true source of all morality, we'd expect to see obvious differences in how believers comport themselves in the world, but all I can conclude is that people's goodness or badness, if you will, is pretty much independent of their faith, and could be either positively or negatively influenced by faith. Good people are good in spite of faith and bad people are bad in spite of faith.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
mordants right...ones faith (or denomination) quite obviously plays no part in whether someone is honest or not.

Old 10-26-2013, 09:34 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The new study from the University Saskatchewan gave a surprising results to the authors. People who are religious lie more than people who are not.

Surprising? Probably not too many great

This Study Shows Why You Shouldn't Trust a Religious Person When There's Money Involved - PolicyMic
What religion? Moderator cut: deleted
The article is woefully inadequate. We know nothing about them--their level of involvement in the religion, or even what religion they were.

Last edited by june 7th; 10-26-2013 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: Sarcasm encourages flaming/flame wars.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What religion? Moderator cut: deleted
The article is woefully inadequate. We know nothing about them--their level of involvement in the religion, or even what religion they were.
It doesn't matter what religion. Virtually all religions stress honesty. Do you know one that does not?

This study individuals self identify as being religious or not and what degree of religiosity they had.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Like said, I will never go to a business that advertises with that fish.
Go ahead...and then report back to us.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what religion. Virtually all religions stress honesty. Do you know one that does not?

This study individuals self identify as being religious or not and what degree of religiosity they had.
Islam considers it a good thing to lie to non-muslims. Not saying that this is the case, but again--without more information about the people in the survey, we have no idea if they are faithful churchgoers, or if they simply attend at Christmas and Easter and call themselves Christians.

I have no idea what it means when they call themselves religious...or if they even adhere to their religion's teachings. Take a look at this board--we have a bunch of people that call themselves religious, call themselves members of whatever religion...yet they believe a HUGE variety of things.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Islam considers it a good thing to lie to non-muslims. Not saying that this is the case, but again--without more information about the people in the survey, we have no idea if they are faithful churchgoers, or if they simply attend at Christmas and Easter and call themselves Christians.

I have no idea what it means when they call themselves religious...or if they even adhere to their religion's teachings. Take a look at this board--we have a bunch of people that call themselves religious, call themselves members of whatever religion...yet they believe a HUGE variety of things.
I can pretty well guarantee you there's not a whole bunch of Muslims at the University of Saskatchewan. Also not a whole bunch of Jewish faith.

From Wikipedia:

Protestant: 41.5%
Roman Catholic: 32.3%
No religion: 19.0%
Eastern Orthodox: 1.8%
Other Christian: 2.9%
Other religion: 2.5%

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demog...,_Saskatchewan

Old 10-26-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I can pretty well guarantee you there's not a whole bunch of Muslims at the University of Saskatchewan. Also not a whole bunch of Jewish faith.

From Wikipedia:

Protestant: 41.5%
Roman Catholic: 32.3%
No religion: 19.0%
Eastern Orthodox: 1.8%
Other Christian: 2.9%
Other religion: 2.5%

Demographics of Regina, Saskatchewan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I wasn't suggesting they were muslims in the survey--I answered the question of what religion would value lying. My point is that there are some.

Now...again, I question....how serious are those folks in the survey about their faith? In this country something like 80% of the people CLAIM Christianity...yet we know that 80% of the people are not devout Christians. Do the people in this survey ACTUALLY practice the religion they claim? Do they ACTUALLY believe it?

Old 10-26-2013, 02:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:

Now...again, I question....how serious are those folks in the survey about their faith? In this country something like 80% of the people CLAIM Christianity...yet we know that 80% of the people are not devout Christians. Do the people in this survey ACTUALLY practice the religion they claim? Do they ACTUALLY believe it?
There's a litmus test for faith? One has to be "devout" to call themselves a Christian?

Lol, I can just see it: We take a survey and have to tick a box for our faith and someone in the back of the room is yelling, "Don't you check that box! I didn't see you at church on Sunday and besides..... you're Catholic!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality