Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 12:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,124,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
For all we know there could be war in the Amazon boardroom, with the Virginia/DC faction duking it out with the Atlanta contingent, with the Boston and Austin fans sniping at both of them from the side.
Pay-per-view anyone?

Old 03-09-2018, 01:00 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
For all we know there could be war in the Amazon boardroom, with the Virginia/DC faction duking it out with the Atlanta contingent, with the Boston and Austin fans sniping at both of them from the side.
It would be interesting to know the hometowns and educational backgrounds of the decisionmakers in order to determine any inherent biases.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:02 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,362,539 times
Quote:
I'm kinda thinking West Side Story style.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:34 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,899,793 times
We shouldn't be giving away the ship for Amazon, but I bet they are. New Jersey has $7 BILLION in incentives! Is the rest of the community subsidizing the new employer? Amazon will not go to their first choice unless they offer an arm and a leg. I suspect the incentives necessary to get Amazon are going to be too high a price to pay for whoever "wins." And Georgia's politicians will likely pay whatever price is necessary.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:43 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,394,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
It would be interesting to know the hometowns and educational backgrounds of the decisionmakers in order to determine any inherent biases.
Here are the members of the Amazon Board of Directors. You may can glean something from their short bios here. The board has an unusual number of female members (good!). Looks to have a large west coast / Pacific NW representation and NE representation.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:19 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
We shouldn't be giving away the ship for Amazon, but I bet they are. New Jersey has $7 BILLION in incentives! Is the rest of the community subsidizing the new employer? Amazon will not go to their first choice unless they offer an arm and a leg. I suspect the incentives necessary to get Amazon are going to be too high a price to pay for whoever "wins." And Georgia's politicians will likely pay whatever price is necessary.
I may be in the minority, but I don't think incentives are going to mean as much for Amazon. Certainly they will be a factor, but for a company of this caliber, what's most important is access to talent.

Old 03-11-2018, 02:42 PM

1,180 posts, read 985,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i agree with this, however, i don't think the issues being discussed (re-legalizing discrimination, a private company choosing to cut ties with a lobbying organization) fall under "the morals and principles of the country". i am fine if amazon passes us up because if they move here, that means those of us who have called atlanta home for a very long time are going to be displaced by high-income people who don't have any particular affinity for, or attachment to this place.

i don't want atlanta to be another manhattan.

it doesn't matter if you're on the right or the left, you can see the problems— if you're a conservative, you hate the elitism, the nanny-state laws banning large sodas, salt, and a large number of personal freedoms being removed.

if you're a liberal, you hate the fact that the entire island has essentially become a playground for the super-rich, and has been whitewashed— for example chinatown, little italy, and now harlem are losing their identity and becoming disneyland versions of themselves.

and all in the name of more jobs, progress, whatever. but really think about it, if you take all the people out of atlanta and replace them with different people, is it still atlanta anymore? we're a city of six million. we need to start thinking about how to help the communities of people who already live here make their community into better versions of themselves, not replace all the people with rich people and claim it's "gotten better" when no one's income has really changed... you're just shuffling people around, that's not progress.
Even if Amazon doesn't come, I think Atlanta will still be heading in that direction. People need to learn to adapt. Change is coming whether we're ready or not.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Here are the members of the Amazon Board of Directors. You may can glean something from their short bios here. The board has an unusual number of female members (good!). Looks to have a large west coast / Pacific NW representation and NE representation.
Your post didn't include the link, so I added one.

Board of Directors

Jeffrey P. Bezos, 52
Chairman, President & Chief Executive Officer
Amazon.com, Inc., The Business Council

Daniel P. Huttenlocher, 58
Independent Director
Amazon.com, Inc.

Wendell P. Weeks, 57
Independent Director
Amazon.com, Inc.

Judith A. McGrath, 63
Independent Director
New York City Ballet, Inc., The American National Red Cross, Amazon.com, Inc.

Jamie S. Gorelick, 65
Independent Director
Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, VeriSign, Inc., Amazon.com, Inc., Urban Institute

Jonathan J. Rubinstein, 59
Independent Director
Amazon.com, Inc., QUALCOMM, Inc.

Thomas O. Ryder, 71
Lead Independent Director
Sheraton Hotels & Resorts, Sheraton Madison Hotel, Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc., RPX Corp., Quad/Graphics, Inc., Amazon.com, Inc.

Alain Monié, 65
Independent Director
Amazon.com, Inc., Ingram Micro, Inc.

Patricia Q. Stonesifer, 59
Independent Director
Amazon.com, Inc., Miraval Holding LLC

John Seely Brown, 76
Independent Director
Amazon.com, Inc., Cbrite, Inc., Brown University, Palo Alto Research Center, Inc., Acuitus, Inc.

AMZN Company Profile & Executives - Amazon.com Inc. - Wall Street Journal

Time to do a little digging. Check you later.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 AM

OK, here is the 411.

Jeffrey P. Bezos
Born: Albuquerque, NM
Raised: Houston, TX, Miami, FL
Alma Mater: Princeton

Daniel P. Huttenlocher
Born & Raised: Boston, MA
Alma Mater(s): Univ of Michigan, MIT (employed by Cornell Univ)

Wendell P. Weeks
Born: Reno, NV
Alma Mater: Lehigh Univ

Judith A. McGrath
Born: Scranton, PA
Alma Mater: Cedar Crest College

Jamie S. Gorelick
Born: New York, NY
Alma Mater: Harvard University

Jonathan J. Rubinstein
New York, NY
Alma mater(s): Cornell University, Colorado State University

Thomas O. Ryder
Born: Varnville, SC
Raised: Alexandria, LA
Alma Mater: Louisiana State University

Alain Monié
Born and Raised: Mexico City, Mexico
Alma Maters: Ecole Nationale Supérieure d’Arts et Metiers, Institut Supérieur des Affaires in Jouy en Josas

Patricia Q. Stonesifer
Born and Raised: Indianapolis, IN (the plot thickens!)
Alma Mater: Indiana Univ

John Seely Brown
Born and Raised: Utica, NY
Alma mater: Brown University, University of Michigan

Not much Southerness going on up in there. Shout-out to Thomas O. "Bubba" Ryder.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:33 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
They don't look all that diverse either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta