Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2017, 08:09 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,355,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On these, will note that most people get on with their lives without "whining and complaining."

However, what jgn is saying is correct.

Asian Americans for all their education actually do not control much of anything in this country. They do have a ceiling to break in corporate America and even non-profit corporates in America. They are routinely stereotyped in professional fields.

And many of them today actually are speaking up more about these things and advocating for a reduction in stereotypes and discrimination based on being Asian.

Will also note that there are different types of Asian Americans and not all of them are successful. Many Asian American ethnic groups have the same or worse statistics than black Americans when it comes to poverty and educational achievement. Many of them also are becoming more vocal about the fact that the "model minority" title placed upon all Asian Americans limits the assistance that these groups can receive because it is believed that "all" Asians are smart, educated, and don't need any help when that is not the truth.

And again, Asian Americans also suffer from gentrification in different parts of the country, especially on the West Coast and white families do partake in "white flight" to flee Asians Americans because they see them as perpetual foreigners or "taking over" their neighborhoods. Same as black Americans.

ETA: Will also note that based on my work in housing in Atlanta, I know for a fact that there is a large amount of Asian Americans living in public housing there who are seniors. Many of whom do not speak English and who have never worked in this country but get to live in public housing based on their kids "abandoning" them on paper. Asian immigrants play the system here in America just like many people think other groups do to excess. Due to the "model minority" label, they just don't get much of a spyglass put on them.
EVERY single ethnic group has individuals that are not successful. It is impossible to have every single person be successful the world just doesn't work like that. Asians are pushing out 'whites' in places like California due to rising housing prices not because of 'white flight' plenty of articles on the web addressing this. It has nothing to do with racism it has to do with money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 08:15 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Quote:
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that oftentimes, after the young people leave, only older black residents are left in these neighborhoods. That is the truth. When the older black residents die off, their children/grandchildren sell the home instead of living in it or renting it out. That not only increases the rate of gentrification, but it also serves to decrease the net worth of the black family.

We need to hold on to those homes for both reasons.
I understand what you are saying and have seen it happen with black friends on two occasions.

However, the same thing goes on with white families. My parents lived in a little bitty house in a neighborhood that had definitely seen better days. It was beginning to show signs of gentrification after they passed away. So we debated about whether to fix it up, hold on and rent for a while to try to catch what we thought would be a wave of increasing property values.

Looking back on it now, that might have been smart, since values have increased a lot over the past 20 years.

But at the time we just had other priorities.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:27 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,832,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good article in the AJC today on how the Atlanta Housing Authority put the hurt on affordable housing in the city.
On this wanted to note that Renee Glover's leadership at AHA and the relationship with Integral and other developers of those former public housing projects, actually are the primary reasons for the resurgence of Atlanta post Olympics.

They were and still are monumental plans/developments and the concept has been repeated, yet tweaked in various parts of the country today with great success.

The article, IMO did not offer much insight into what is taking place on these properties. I do remember that Integral was offered some swaths of land and many felt that Integral had an inappropriate "in" with AHA, something I also feel occurred because of the fact that they stopped bidding out the work for these developments. That was something that I always felt was unnecessary.

On affordable housing, honestly it is not and never truly has been "affordable" for poor people in Atlanta.

The only truly affordable housing was public housing (aka "the projects") or the HCVP program. The terms of "affordable housing" and "workforce housing" are basically for working class to middle class people (making greater than $40k per year poor people don't make that much) and even for them the rents in those locations are a stretch of their income and always have been.

So I agree that them getting rid of public housing and the move to HCVP (Section 8) caused the poor in Atlanta to be "pushed out" of the city of Atlanta. Especially those who had some sort of criminal record and who could not get a voucher once public housing was demolished.

But regardless, no one is going back to building public housing anymore it cost too much money and there are too many negative outcomes. IMO that is an issue for the city of Atlanta in that there is a minimal safety net when it comes to housing in the city and even the burbs. Atlanta IMO will eventually become like San Fran and inaccessible for people to live except for the extremely well off. AHA's plans, due to being repeated all over the country, are making urban living something that will once again be reserved for the upper middle class to wealthy, similar to how it already is in many European cities/countries whereas the poor are moving to the burbs.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:29 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,003,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
This is so ridiculous I don't know where to start. You don't get it. Asians don't care they just go on with their life and find a way to be successful instead of whining and complaining.
Hence "Model Minority." I guarantee people wouldn't be so fond of them if they were more inclined to fight against slights and injustices. It's like the abusive husband that prefers women that keep quiet.

Having said that, it's hard to use the term "Asians" because it's so broad. A Korean is going to experience the U.S. much differently than a Vietnamese immigrant....who will have a different experience from a Pakistani.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,003,235 times
I'll also add that generic White culture tends to dominate when combined with various Latino, East Asian, South Asian etc., immigrant cultures. In other words, if a white dude marries an Asian chick, their kids and grand kids will more than likely end up "blending" into whiteness moreso than the other way around.

This doesn't typically happen when blacks and whites marry, mostly because of the antiquated "one-drop rule" and also because black culture is American culture (the positives and negatives). It's probably why immigrants and whites alike are more resistant to coupling with blacks even when the person in question is attractive, highly educated with an excellent career and value system.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I understand what you are saying and have seen it happen with black friends on two occasions.

However, the same thing goes on with white families. My parents lived in a little bitty house in a neighborhood that had definitely seen better days. It was beginning to show signs of gentrification after they passed away. So we debated about whether to fix it up, hold on and rent for a while to try to catch what we thought would be a wave of increasing property values.

Looking back on it now, that might have been smart, since values have increased a lot over the past 20 years.

But at the time we just had other priorities.
I agree it happens in other families, but I will admit that I am black () and I am very much concerned with the low net worth of black families and that this is something that should be a focus of our demographic in the 21st century, much more of a focus than civil rights/social justice issues (but FWIW I do think it has a civil rights/social justice component).

And I understand that hindsight brings clarity, I just like to mention it to my Atlanta and DC friends in particular and have been for about 10 years. It is just silly IMO if someone's grandmother lives in say the Old 4th Ward and she dies for them to sell that house off instead of keeping it for a particular time and renting it out if they don't want to live in it. A large percent of our grandparents owned their own homes. All of mine did and unfortunately, my maternal grandmother sold hers off (even though I begged her to wait a few years so I could buy that property - today it is worth 4 times what she sold it for), my father and his siblings lost my great grandmother's house (which was in a very nice neighborhood), and they also lost his mother's house that was fully paid for because they didn't pay the $1000 a year taxes on it over 10 years ago for 5 years straight. All 3 of those houses today would be worth over $600k combined for our families economic legacy.

As black Americans are parents/grandparents didn't always leave us a lot and now it is a focus of mine to make sure we focus on what they did leave and most of the time it was a house in the hood. I recently convinced a younger cousin of mine not to sell off her grandparent's house. They died and she had been living in the house but moved out of state recently. The house is not worth that much but is near the city's University there and a recent master plan was issued for that school that included the neighborhood so the house will more than likely increase in value. Her grandparents raised her and her siblings and they didn't leave them anything except the house so that is their legacy and they should hold on to it.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Hence "Model Minority." I guarantee people wouldn't be so fond of them if they were more inclined to fight against slights and injustices. It's like the abusive husband that prefers women that keep quiet.

Having said that, it's hard to use the term "Asians" because it's so broad. A Korean is going to experience the U.S. much differently than a Vietnamese immigrant....who will have a different experience from a Pakistani.
You still don't get it. There is no reason for them to 'fight'. They are successful as a group and do things on their own. They are self starters. I am around them all the time. The younger generation is focused on one thing: school. The older generation is focused on one thing: work or growing their business. They don't find an excuse or injustice around every corner. They don't have time for it. The very reason a lot of them are successful is they don't look for slights or injustice. They are too busy being productive and trying to better not only their life but their families life as well. Do you understand this?

Old 03-14-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
EVERY single ethnic group has individuals that are not successful. It is impossible to have every single person be successful the world just doesn't work like that. Asians are pushing out 'whites' in places like California due to rising housing prices not because of 'white flight' plenty of articles on the web addressing this. It has nothing to do with racism it has to do with money.
LOL, Asians are not "pushing out" whites in California. Whites are leaving because they don't want to live around too many Asians.

White flight is the same everywhere and it happens when too many blacks, Latinos, or Asians move in. Many of the excuses provided for the white flight though are diferent.

Here's an article about white flight from Asians in regards to John's Creek GA:

Ghosts of White People Past: Witnessing White Flight from an Asian Ethnoburb

From the article:

Quote:
One blustery winter morning, I tour a preschool for my then-youngest child. The director, a petite woman with light brown hair, greets me warmly in the foyer, hands me a pamphlet describing the classes, the curriculum, the school’s philosophy. At the end of the tour, she asks if I have any questions. I shake my head, thank her for her time, and open the glass door to the parking lot when she calls out in a cautionary tone: “This area has changed quite a bit in the past few years. It’s really, really different.”
Quote:
Her lips disappear into a thin line. “It’s just, you know, changed.”
Over the next nine years, I have front row seats to a white exodus from Johns Creek, a suburb located 25miles outside of Atlanta. The majority of these white families do not relocate closer to Atlanta or to jobs elsewhere in the metro area. They move across a newly expanded four-lane road to the adjacent northern county, Forsyth, a stone’s throw from their former domiciles.
I ask our neighbors, point blank, why they are moving.
Nora’s good at math. There are too many kids here good at math. They’re affecting her self-esteem.
Asian parents take their kids for extra tutoring. It’s not fair for the “regular” kids.
The high school is too competitive. My kids won’t get into a good college because of all of the Asians.
I want my children to grow up in the real world. This is not the real world.
Quote:
Sociologist Samuel H. Kye, the author of Segregation in Suburbia: Ethnoburbs and Spatial Attainment in the Urban Periphery[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)], examined segregation patterns in 150 middle class metropolitan black, Hispanic, and Asian ethnoburbs from 1990 to 2010. By focusing on middle-class, as opposed to lower-class ethnoburbs, he hoped to eliminate poverty as a factor for white flight. In a phone interview, he relays that the relative economic prosperity of an ethnoburb does not diminish white people’s decisions to abandon it. “Across the board, any time you see a significant presence of minority residents, there is a near perfect predictor of exodus of white residents,” he says.
Blue added by me.

On California white flight from Asians, this is an older article but states that it started occurring in the mid 1990s.

The New White Flight

Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,322,238 times
Quote:
You still don't get it. There is no reason for them to 'fight'. They are successful as a group and do things on their own. They are self starters. I am around them all the time. The younger generation is focused on one thing: school. The older generation is focused on one thing: work or growing their business. They don't find an excuse or injustice around every corner. They don't have time for it. The very reason a lot of them are successful is they don't look for slights or injustice. They are too busy being productive and trying to better not only their life but their families life as well. Do you understand this?
I agree with you. Example, there are a ton of majority Asian (usually korean) cities in California and New Jersey. Most of these are extremely successful, high net worth, good schools, almost no crime. Basically model cities. And so expensive that yes, even many whites have been priced out. They succeed just fine and there is nothing for them to fight against other than the alt-right agenda and gutting of the federal government by the current administration, but that concern transcends racial lines.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
LOL, Asians are not "pushing out" whites in California. Whites are leaving because they don't want to live around too many Asians.

White flight is the same everywhere and it happens when too many blacks, Latinos, or Asians move in. Many of the excuses provided for the white flight though are diferent.

Here's an article about white flight from Asians in regards to John's Creek GA:

Ghosts of White People Past: Witnessing White Flight from an Asian Ethnoburb

From the article:

Blue added by me.

On California white flight from Asians, this is an older article but states that it started occurring in the mid 1990s.

The New White Flight
Again, you really need to read about what is happening in San Francisco and other California cities. 'Whites' are being pushed out of San Fran due to housing prices. Has nothing to do with racism. Kinda ironic considering this threads title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta