Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 12:27 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
You didn't answer any of my questions. At what point in the future will slavery become a non-starter? You can be honest tell me what you think. In what other countries in this World do black people or any people of color have more wealth or opportunity than they do in America?

To ignore the plight of other people in America or the Jews in Germany is very telling of your sole agenda. From the beginning of time in this World there have been people who were discriminated against for one reason or another. It wasn't always the color of their skin.

This is 2017. People of color can be President, Governors, Senators, Mayors, Judges, Lawyers, District Attorney, Police Officers, etc. So, that 400 year gap you talked about has been closed significantly has it not? If it hasn't then tell me when in your humble opinion it will? What has to be done for it to not be a topic of discussion anymore. Those Irish and Italians sure were able to find a way deal with it.
Lol. Because you never really responded to mine either. You just hit me with the good ol boy Talking Point A which is the "why are you still stuck on slavery" demo or the 1.5 version which is "hey black people, these persecuted Europeans did it, why can't you?". Yawn. I'm over it bro. Explain to me how slavery did not have a direct effect on the cushy lifestyle that we all enjoy today and then maybe I will answer your question but I'm pretty sure you already know my answer is.

And because I didn't mention the plight of the natives or Jewish people tells my agenda? Dude you don't know me. Back off with trying to paint me as something that makes you lay your head down better at night. Chief Tecumseh of the Shawnee is one of my greatest heros. Ive probably read every book about him, I have a tattoo of him on my back and I drive like an old person to sites that have stuff to do with him in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana.

And lol @"people of color" and "Jews". Your about as see thru as windex

Last edited by oldschoolChevy; 02-27-2017 at 12:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 12:35 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Lol. Because you never really responded to mine either. You just hit me with Talking Point A which is the "why are you still stuck on slavery" demo. Yawn. I'm over it bro. Explain to me how slavery did not have a direct effect on the cushy lifestyle that we all enjoy today and then maybe I will answer your question but I'm pretty sure you already know my answer is.

And because I didn't mention the plight of the natives or Jewish people tells my agenda? Dude you don't me. Back off with trying to paint me as something that makes you lay your head down better at night. Chief Tecumseh of the Shawnee tribe is one of my greatest heros. Ive probably read every book about him, I have a tattoo of him and his brother Tenskawata on my back and I drive like an old person in an RV to sites that have stuff to do with him in Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana.

And lol @"people of color" and "Jews". Your about as see thru as windex
You are all over the place now. I answered your questions and also gave you some other examples of people who had grueling misfortunes in their lifetimes and somehow managed to overcome it. The fact is there isn't a place in this World where black people have more wealth or opportunity than they do here in 2017 America. Sure racism and bigotry exists but that is the case whether you are in Paris France or Paris Texas.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
You are all over the place now. I answered your questions and also gave you some other examples of people who had grueling misfortunes in their lifetimes and somehow managed to overcome it. The fact is there isn't a place in this World where black people have more wealth or opportunity than they do here in 2017 America. Sure racism and bigotry exists but that is the case whether you are in Paris France or Paris Texas.
No. You really didn't. But since you claim you did, here is my answer anyway-the argument will never subside from my end of the fence until your side acknowledges what it was and the effect it had and still continues to have to this day. No one is looking for a handout. To be honest I think that is mostly a right wing talking point. I don't think Ive ever met a single Black person who is waiting to be compensated for slavery. I gotta get back to the grind so no long wind from me right now, but long story short when you deny it like it wasn't a big deal it makes us resent you honestly. I think loads of healing would be done if white leople admit that this country and others would not have been what they are today without our enslaved labor and a lot of the stuff the ancestors went thru and saw was so inhuman that that negative energy still reverberates today with the descendants. But to be even more honest I think that'll never happen because that would entail you having to deal with the horrors of the entire thing. I've been studying it for years and it's very depressing. Don't think white America is ready to do that as a whole yet

Old 02-27-2017, 12:54 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Afraid not. My parents are British immigrants who came to America during WW2 to get away from the fighting. Not only was I not even alive during this lynchings, I'm not even a descendent of the people who did do it. Stop trying to blame all white people for what some did 100 years ago. Do you ever give credit to the millions of white people who stood in solidarity with black people? The white people who were beaten and attacked and killed during the civil rights movement fighting for YOUR rights?

Black people face struggles, and gay people face struggles. As do transgendered people, women, the disabled. Everyone other than the straight white Christian males that the GOP/Nazis put above everyone else. But it's presumptuous and ridiculous for anyone to pretend that the struggle of being black is somehow more difficult than any other.
It is more difficult being. That is a fact. Do I give credit to whites who help? Yes to the ones that help with no agenda. The issue is many blacks are getting wise that others (democrats\liberals) want to use us and have been using us with empty promises for a long time. You are using those same tactics now. This thread about BLACK PEOPLE, but people want to intertwine us with white LGBT. We are not them.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:58 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times
Quote:
No. You really didn't. But since you claim you did, here is my answer anyway-the argument will never subside from my end of the fence until your side acknowledges what it was and the effect it had and still continues to have to this day. No one is looking for a handout. To be honest I think that is mostly a right wing talking point. I don't think Ive ever met a single Black person who is waiting to be compensated for slavery. I gotta get back to the grind so no long wind from me right now, but long story short when you deny it like it wasn't a big deal it makes us resent you honestly. I think loads of healing would be done if white leople admit that this country and others would not have been what they are today without our enslaved labor and a lot of the stuff the ancestors went thru and saw was so inhuman that that negative energy still reverberates today. But to be even more honest I think that'll never happen because that would entail you having to deal with the horrors of the entire thing. I've been studying it for years and it's very depressing. Don't think white America is ready to do that as a whole yet

I never even broached the topic of 'handouts' it never even crossed my mind. I also never said it "wasn't a big deal" I merely mentioned other groups of folks who dealt with the same or worse and somehow managed to overcome it. I also pointed out opportunities that are available only in America and nowhere else. Nobody ever admitted or apologized for the horrors those poor Irish and Italian immigrants went through. Not sure how or why you would resent me as I didn't have one thing to do with slavery. Neither did my parents or my grandparents or great grandparents. If you want to talk about depressing we could begin with the Holocaust but that doesn't fit your narrative. It isn't just black folks who have been discriminated against in this World. It has been a whole lot of folks and for different reasons. They seemed to have been able to pick up the pieces and move on which is why I asked you in what year will we be able to say the same about slavery but you wouldn't answer. I can also assure you this country wouldn't be what it is today without the hard work and dedication of those very same Irish and Italians who worked so hard during the Industrial Revolution for little to no pay or the ones who served in WWI & WWII. You won't find that in any textbooks though because it has been washed away from memory.

Old 02-27-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Great Britain didn't abolish slavery until the 1830s, it's a safe bet to say that GB was able to become what it was off of slavery and other plunderings of their colonies. And by extension I would still say that your family benefited on some level even a 100 years later. Those factories over there weren't churning out stuff made with raw materials that were found in England. Aside from coal factories pretty much everything made by the average joe back then in GB had its origin in the New World, Asia or Africa and probably was initially handled by an enslaved person. Look at Jamaica, the sugar from there was huge for GB. These days people really don't think of something as mundane as sugar as a big deal but back then that stuff made empires. England made a ***t load of money off that alone. We're talking oil sheik type money, but back then though. Didn't matter if it was sugar, cotton or indigo, the plantation economy was a twisted version of what we see those cats over in Dubai do now. And that stuff trickled down. Everybody ate off of that regardless if you owned slaves or not. You could've worked in a ship yard in the NE or in England somewhere that built slave ships among other types of vessels, or maybe you worked for an insurance company that wrote policies for slaves, or you might've even been a working a loom for Brooks Brothers who made clothing for slaves. The list goes on. You can't even begin to understand how deep and tied into America and Europes growth slavery is. Pretty sure you don't even care to though. You basically have a 400 year head start on the race of life and have the nerve to wonder why my people have issues. Smh. We all have differences in this world and we will never see eye to eye. I totally get that and am more than fine with it. But please don't act like this is a level playing field out here dude.
I have heard the English treated the Irish and Scottish pretty badly back in those days, but I dont have any facts on that. Only stories I have heard. Plus Im half Jamaican and half St. Lucian and I know a bit about not only the British slaves, but the French slaves as well. Americans were not the only people doing it.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Yep and there we have Talking Point B the "just thank us black people because we could've left you in Africa" demo.
Guess we should just kiss the white mans boot that we're not in dark ol Africa. Lol
Go travel. Africa isn't what you think it is.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I have heard the English treated the Irish and Scottish pretty badly back in those days, but I dont have any facts on that. Only stories I have heard. Plus Im half Jamaican and half St. Lucian and I know a bit about not only the British slaves, but the French slaves as well. Americans were not the only people doing it.
Yeah but the Irish were able to get on boats and leave to go somewhere else for a better life. You already know the British wasn't about to let your ancestors on St Lucia or Jamaica get on a boat to somewhere else because they was tired of working the cane fields all day. "Oh you wanna try to leave? Ok cool. We got a tree over there with your name it."

That whole argument is a false equivalency racist white people love to use and it doesn't fly when you apply logic to it.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
What the Germans did to Jewish people is a hell of a lot worse than what happened to many slaves, but we don't see Jewish people sitting around hating on Germans when they don't succeed in life.

No one currently alive owned slaves. We have nothing to do it. Nor are any of the current living black people former slaves. Slavery is over. It was horrible. But you can't hold that over our heads for centuries when no one alive even had anything to do with it.
Well golly gee willikers Forhall I wonder why the Jews dont complain. Slavery is still alive and well in America. It is called the Prison Industrial Complex. Blacks will continue to hold it over your heads whether you like it our not. Treat us fairly and our attitudes will change. This thread is making your hatred for blacks grow. You dont even empathize with us. You just want us to go away and shut up like the Jews did, but here is the thing. The Jews are happy because they GOT THEIRS. Society allowed them to do so.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:10 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,049 times
Quote:
I never even broached the topic of 'handouts' it never even crossed my mind. I also never said it "wasn't a big deal" I merely mentioned other groups of folks who dealt with the same or worse and somehow managed to overcome it. I also pointed out opportunities that are available only in America and nowhere else. Nobody ever admitted or apologized for the horrors those poor Irish and Italian immigrants went through. Not sure how or why you would resent me as I didn't have one thing to do with slavery. Neither did my parents or my grandparents or great grandparents. If you want to talk about depressing we could begin with the Holocaust but that doesn't fit your narrative. It isn't just black folks who have been discriminated against in this World. It has been a whole lot of folks and for different reasons. They seemed to have been able to pick up the pieces and move on which is why I asked you in what year will we be able to say the same about slavery but you wouldn't answer. I can also assure you this country wouldn't be what it is today without the hard work and dedication of those very same Irish and Italians who worked so hard during the Industrial Revolution for little to no pay or the ones who served in WWI & WWII. You won't find that in any textbooks though because it has been washed away from memory.

Maybe because OldSchoolChevy isn't a psychic and cannot answer that. And why should he (or any black poster on C-D) answer a question that really doesn't have an answer because the subject of slavery and the mistreatment of blacks in the US rankles your Caucasian sensibilities? Or maybe because slavery still exists on a de-facto basis thanks to the prison-industrial complex that disproportionately affects black men in this country due to the lack of opportunities and the vestiges of institutionalized racism that still exist in this country that you attempt to downplay and deny.
You're probably the type who only likes for black folks to run, throw, and catch a ball, tap dance like a coon, shut up and know their place and bring up right wing talking points as a way to gaslight and deflect...typical, but not surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta