Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 02:21 PM

994 posts, read 1,549,961 times

Advertisements

This development has been rejected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 02:25 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,942,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
This development has been rejected.
Well, Cobb can continue to stagnate. Development is welcome in the city.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:29 PM

23,726 posts, read 25,025,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Well, Cobb can continue to stagnate. Development is welcome in the city.
They are building the same old SFH homes and low density, car centric development all over the county. Cumberland and Town Center is seeing multifamily development.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:49 PM

9,926 posts, read 7,375,751 times
Speaking as an ITP Cobb resident with an Atlanta address, I don't give a crap what kind of density levels they approve or not in the boring cookie cutter suburbs of West Cobb. They'll never have transit out there, and the area is so car-dependent that it will just add more traffic, so maybe they don't want the traffic.

No need to urbanize Dallas Hwy. Urbanization (development and improved and new transit to support it), should be occurring in Marietta proper, Smyrna proper, Cumberland, Town Center, Vinings, Mableton, the Atlanta Rd corridor, Powers Ferry area, and maybe a bit in East Cobb along Roswell Rd.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:59 PM

32,068 posts, read 37,053,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They are building the same old SFH homes and low density, car centric development all over the county.
A whole lot of people like that kind of living and not just in Cobb.

Dispersion in Europe's Cities | Newgeography.com

China, Nation of Suburbs - CityLab

Old 05-17-2016, 03:17 PM

1,054 posts, read 929,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Speaking as an ITP Cobb resident with an Atlanta address, I don't give a crap what kind of density levels they approve or not in the boring cookie cutter suburbs of West Cobb. They'll never have transit out there, and the area is so car-dependent that it will just add more traffic, so maybe they don't want the traffic.

No need to urbanize Dallas Hwy. Urbanization (development and improved and new transit to support it), should be occurring in Marietta proper, Smyrna proper, Cumberland, Town Center, Vinings, Mableton, the Atlanta Rd corridor, Powers Ferry area, and maybe a bit in East Cobb along Roswell Rd.
Here we go!. Congrats for being a rare CD poster who can forego hasty generalities

And LOL about Cobb stagnating, there's more of that rare jsvh humor!.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:41 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,942,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
And LOL about Cobb stagnating, there's more of that rare jsvh humor!.
Let me guess, this development just doesn't make the cut for the quality developments Cobb deserves unlike the "rampant uncontrolled growth" going on elsewhere?

Old 05-17-2016, 04:15 PM

4,770 posts, read 5,493,527 times
When is Cobb County gonna repaved Windy Hill Road?

Old 05-17-2016, 04:32 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,580,965 times
Having spent only a little bit of time out that way a couple of years ago, I seem to recall that the Kennesaw Mtn Battlefield Park is something of a barrier to the denser development along hwy 120 west from Marietta Sq. With the exception of the commercial zone at 120 & Barrett Pkwy, that area looks like lower density than the other side of the Park

I don't recall what traffic was like on the 2 or 3 occasions I was over there. But, it seems to me that if Cobb County rejected the plans because they were too dense that they are making some effort to limit how much additional traffic that area sees.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:43 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,328,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
24-acre mixed-use development seeks OK in Cobb Co.

Cobb thinks 58 senior homes and retail on 24 acres might be too dense? No wonder they are missing out on much of this development cycle.
If you ever came up that way, you'd discover that you are quite mistaken by generalizing so much. Cobb is a vast county. Many parts, like Marietta Square, Cumberland and Smyrna are absolutely booming. There's about $300M in new high end residential development going on right now within less than a mile radius from the Square, with more in the pipeline. East Cobb is largely built out and houses there are both too expensive and too new to be likely candidates for tear-down, so it's not surprising that there's less growth over that way.

Density is laudable in many cases but not always, particularly when the local infrastructure is not able to support it. Whitlock Avenue, which becomes Dallas Highway once it leaves the Marietta city limits, is a narrow (and, for much of its length, charming) two-lane road, and it gets pretty congested at rush hour. (I am glad to live on the east side of the Square and that I never have to go near Whitlock at rush hour.) The road isn't going to be significantly widened anytime soon (and that's the right decision) and they are putting new sidewalks in as we speak, which is a plus. Without some additional investment in transportation infrastructure, including transit, which I would support, a development like this just adds to the problem, high density or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta