Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:14 PM

605 posts, read 812,577 times

Advertisements

From a blog post from Tomorrow's News Today Atlanta... Apologies. For some reason, I'm unable to link.

Hm... It seems that the problems with the retailers that closed were at the national level and not specific to BA. I've only been to the development once (before they began to offer free 3-hour parking), but I found it a very lovely and pleasant experience. Tom Ford and Dior moving forward with their store openings tend to suggest that the development isn't gasping for its last breath, but what do you think?

Last edited by Tyler_Jolie-Pitt; 05-16-2016 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Link didn't work. Also, can the title be changed to include "Reeling" between Atlanta and After? That's the title of the post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 07:20 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,783,262 times
Stolen.....

"Anonymous said...
Scoop is closing because ALL Scoop stores are closing. The store actually did well in Buckhead. Helmut Lang closed because the brand is dying. They closed a NYC store a couple of months ago, too, leaving 5 total stores in the US. Denim & Soul is also a brand struggling on a national level. Your "research" and "sources" seem to be relying on rumor and not on fact. Theory is busy every time I visit. Doraku and Qing Mu are always packed - in fact, all of the restaurants seem to be busy. And, 13 Pies and AF&B closed due to corporate restructuring rather than performance. You should do some actual reporting...quoting sources, etc. Why are you so keen on seeing this development fail? You seem to have a real hatred for this place, which makes no sense. If you love Atlanta, you'd want the city to be able to support a place that is upscale and lovely with world-class retailers. This "report" reads like sour grapes. Not sure anyone else thinks Buckhead Atlanta is "reeling".
May 11, 2016 at 12:56 PM"

Old 05-16-2016, 07:23 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,386,302 times
I agree with your assessment. I do wonder about it though. It's such a great development. My biggest concern is the close proximity to Phipps Plaza and Lenox Square and how that will affect it's prospects. Might be a little too much luxury for them all to make it.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:39 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,783,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I agree with your assessment. I do wonder about it though. It's such a great development. My biggest concern is the close proximity to Phipps Plaza and Lenox Square and how that will affect it's prospects. Might be a little too much luxury for them all to make it.
The stores are doing great at this development. People thinks these stores have to be packed like Walmart to survive and that is completely false. People think because the Bentley dealership isn't packed like a Ford dealership that the Bentley dealership is doing bad. They don't know that Bentley caters to a small percentage of people

Being close to another development doesn't mean anything either. Its not like the average PP customer is going to say "Well I'm finish shopping at PP but I want to go to BA but it is too far" because these stores are all different. Its not like PP and BA have the exact same stores.

People thinking this development is not a "success" are just hating. 30% of LS shoppers travel from a hundred miles away and they are also shopping at BA. Atlanta had 51 million visitors last year and some of them shop there. Atlanta has plenty of people with money to spend at this development. Take a drive through Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, etc.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,386,302 times
It sure looks to be doing well so far. There is no other development quite like it in the southeast. I'm definitely in the camp that doesn't want it to fail.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:35 PM

32,071 posts, read 37,083,521 times
I've been up there a few times for drinks or dinner and the place was buzzing.

However, I don't shop at expensive stores and don't know many people who do, even rich ones.

What's the point of getting a $800 pair of pants when you get perfectly nice ones at Target or Walmart for $30? The fact is I'm probably going to glob something on them the first time I wear 'em.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:18 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,277,174 times
I like reading TNT, but the author clearly has some personal issues with a couple of developers (or just developments?). He posts the same kind of constant deathwatch stuff about Atlantic Station, too.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:11 AM

770 posts, read 608,017 times
It's unfortunate the two restaurants closed, I liked both, don't shop there so I can't say much about that, but hopefully a solid addition will go where American Food and Beverage was, liked the setup in there.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:49 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,731,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I've been up there a few times for drinks or dinner and the place was buzzing.

However, I don't shop at expensive stores and don't know many people who do, even rich ones.

What's the point of getting a $800 pair of pants when you get perfectly nice ones at Target or Walmart for $30? The fact is I'm probably going to glob something on them the first time I wear 'em.
Arjay, you and I think alike on this one, though I've had some awful luck with the Walmart pants, and would rather get stuff from Sears or Macy's or such other mid-level stores. Target is just fine, and I haven't had quality issues with them, other than finding stuff that actually fits.

That said, there certainly is a niche market for those kinds of stores. People looking for brand name, status, and design that's more for looks than just the functionality of the clothes all exist, with a wide range of budgets to get them. Some buy off the shelf and make them look like they want, some buy from thrift and resale stores, and some buy from butiques.

It helps if you're in a place that already attracts lots of people of that mindset. Lenox, Phipps, Atlantic Station, etc. I've seen a few of these stores come and go in the Highlands (Virginia and Poncy), since there's just not the crowds to meet profit margins.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:53 AM
bu2

24,329 posts, read 15,169,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Visibility is low. I barely notice it driving by as any different from one of the strip centers or 5 story apartments along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta