Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:23 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times

Advertisements

Most neighborhoods in Atlanta have proponents and detractors. Since we have so many people on the board looking for info about Atlanta neighborhoods, I thought it might be interesting to start a thread where people could give a shout out to their favorite neighborhoods and explain why they like them so much.

I'll start off:

I am a life-long DeKalb county resident and all my favorite neighborhoods are in DeKalb county and all are inside the perimeter. Unlike a lot of intowners I also vastly prefer ranches to bungalows. Don't get me wrong, bungalows are cute, but I want lots of space on one floor, a big basement, and a 2-car garage, so bungalows just don't do it for me.

I'm doing neighborhoods in difference price points since the neighborhood I'd choose would be different if, say, I got an inheritance or won the lottery.

Under $300,000: Tucker (Midvale Elementary) - large, well-built brick ranch homes, on good-sized lots in a neighborhood just outside the perimeter with easy access to shopping and the interstate

Under $500,000: Leafmore/Creek Park (Oak Grove Elementary) -- again, large, well-built brick ranches on very nice lots in a great neighborhood of gently rolling hills; excellent elementary school for resale value; nearby shopping; convenient to I-85 and major secondary roads

Over $500,000: Downtown Decatur -- I LOVE Decatur! While most of the fasionable intown "walkable" neighborhoods do very little for me, I absolutely adore Decatur. It's got just exactly the right mix of residential and business components, great amenities, great activities, very cute houses (sadly, very few ranches ), MARTA in the middle of the courthouse square. Just absolutely my idea of the perfect small town but just 15 minutes from the heart of Downtown Atlanta. My biggest problem would be deciding which neighborhood within Downtown Decatur I'd choose. Of course, that would mostly depend on my budget. But it's hard to go too far wrong in Decatur, as far as I'm concerned.

Over $1,000,000: Druid Hills (unincorporated DeKalb) -- ever since I was a little kid I've dreamed of owning one of the fabulous estate-like homes in Druid Hills. They are so extraordinarily elegant. Huge lots (some 2-3 acres!), fine architecture, historic neighborhood, gorgeous streets, close to everything but (unlike Ansley Park) removed from it all so you have a real enclave of civility with a large border before you are thrust into the chaos of the other intown neighborhoods. I love the fact that Emory University is next door, Virginia-Highland restaurants are just around the corner, Decatur is just a few minutes away. It's a great, great neighborhood. If I actually were buying in Druid Hills, I'd make sure I chose a house in unincorporated DeKalb county rather than City of Atlanta in DeKalb because the taxes on those homes are high enough without paying double.

Okay, that's my list. Who's next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Well, everyone who's a regular here knows that I will say that I think Candler Park\Lake Claire is the best neighborhood there is.

* Candler Park - the center of the neighborhood with it's 9 hole golf-course, PATH, pool, tennis, basketball, soccer fields, and playground. And I love the FallFest in October. And when it snows every 5 years you can sled down the slopes in the golf course!

* Mary Lin ES - a wonderful elementary school with highly involved parents

* Sidewalks - everywhere. There's no place in CP you can't walk to.

* Little 5 Points - including walking here, a wonderful commercial district where you can also do some serious people watching.

* Candler Park Market\Flying Biscuit\Gatco Bizko\Fellini's\LaFonda\Donna Van Gohg\Frock of Ages\Doc Bombays - all that just for the neighborhood, plus a piercing place, too! All in walking distance.

* and now Fox Bros BBQ!

* Homes - historical architecture ranging from bungalows, Craftsman, Victorian, traditional...and even a handful of ranches thrown in. There's a mix of large and small yards (I prefer small, especially since I live almost across the street from the park). The houses are close together, giving the neighborhoods a vibrant urban vibe.

* Atmosphere - this is a mixed neighborhood where you find young families, older families, DINKS, and singles. But I love how on nice days there are sooooo many people outside enjoying the neighborhood. Heck, people from OTHER neighborhoods come over to enjoy the neighborhood.

* Commute - getting just about anywhere is easy. There's MARTA that runs along the southern border of the hood. No need to drive to the airport or downtown. And if you work off MARTA you can usually find back streets to get you there without a lot of trouble. You get to work and hear about the jack-knifed tractor trailor that closed down 5 lanes of I-85 South and you say a little "prayer" of gratitude, especially if you've had to deal with that in your past.

And that's why I love my neighborhood.

To be honest, I'm sure other intown folks probably feel the same way about THEIR neighborhood. I'm glad they do - they should.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
Most neighborhoods in Atlanta have proponents and detractors. Since we have so many people on the board looking for info about Atlanta neighborhoods, I thought it might be interesting to start a thread where people could give a shout out to their favorite neighborhoods and explain why they like them so much.

I'll start off:

I am a life-long DeKalb county resident and all my favorite neighborhoods are in DeKalb county and all are inside the perimeter. Unlike a lot of intowners I also vastly prefer ranches to bungalows. Don't get me wrong, bungalows are cute, but I want lots of space on one floor, a big basement, and a 2-car garage, so bungalows just don't do it for me.

I'm doing neighborhoods in difference price points since the neighborhood I'd choose would be different if, say, I got an inheritance or won the lottery.

Under $300,000: Tucker (Midvale Elementary) - large, well-built brick ranch homes, on good-sized lots in a neighborhood just outside the perimeter with easy access to shopping and the interstate

Under $500,000: Leafmore/Creek Park (Oak Grove Elementary) -- again, large, well-built brick ranches on very nice lots in a great neighborhood of gently rolling hills; excellent elementary school for resale value; nearby shopping; convenient to I-85 and major secondary roads

Over $500,000: Downtown Decatur -- I LOVE Decatur! While most of the fasionable intown "walkable" neighborhoods do very little for me, I absolutely adore Decatur. It's got just exactly the right mix of residential and business components, great amenities, great activities, very cute houses (sadly, very few ranches ), MARTA in the middle of the courthouse square. Just absolutely my idea of the perfect small town but just 15 minutes from the heart of Downtown Atlanta. My biggest problem would be deciding which neighborhood within Downtown Decatur I'd choose. Of course, that would mostly depend on my budget. But it's hard to go too far wrong in Decatur, as far as I'm concerned.

Over $1,000,000: Druid Hills (unincorporated DeKalb) -- ever since I was a little kid I've dreamed of owning one of the fabulous estate-like homes in Druid Hills. They are so extraordinarily elegant. Huge lots (some 2-3 acres!), fine architecture, historic neighborhood, gorgeous streets, close to everything but (unlike Ansley Park) removed from it all so you have a real enclave of civility with a large border before you are thrust into the chaos of the other intown neighborhoods. I love the fact that Emory University is next door, Virginia-Highland restaurants are just around the corner, Decatur is just a few minutes away. It's a great, great neighborhood. If I actually were buying in Druid Hills, I'd make sure I chose a house in unincorporated DeKalb county rather than City of Atlanta in DeKalb because the taxes on those homes are high enough without paying double.

Okay, that's my list. Who's next?
All above are great places but for me who also likes a little land:

Under 300k Chamblee for example Keswick Park (although may not now be possible)

Between 300K-500K I would also go with Oakgrove or maybe North Brookhaven by Murphey Candler Park

Over 500k Brookhaven or possibly something just north of Chastian (30342)

Over 1 million, Historic Brookaven or Peachtree Battle.

Over 3 million Buckhead (the historic part)

Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 PM

739 posts, read 830,734 times
The new hot spot for corporate CEO's, entertainers, etc. is the area from Paces Ferry Road along Ridgewood, Nancy Creek, the back end of West Paces Ferry and West Wesley. There is a home about to start on Garraux for $10 million. Tyler Perry is building a new home on Paces Ferry for over $30 million. A friend of mine sold his home a couple of years ago on Riverly for $7.5 million and another friend just bought one on West Wesley for $7.5 million. It's a hopping area - great lots, quiet, and beautiful homes.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:59 PM

513 posts, read 1,632,382 times
If I still had to work I would choose Lake Claire without a doubt.... wait, there is a little doubt. Maybe Virginia-Highlands. Can't afford either, though.

IntownHomes247, we are thinking of moving into the city of Decatur school district, but not close enough to walk into downtown Decatur. I don't like the parking situation in Decatur even though we always seem to find a metered spot when we go for lunch.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:21 PM

177 posts, read 923,782 times
If I was still single and without kids I would I buy a huge condo in midtown...either in Midcity lofts or Peachtree lofts. There is also this great little grey 1920's building next to piedmont park that I love. The top floor condos have balcony's and loft levels.

If I had a husband and kids I would like to live in Ansley Park or Lake Claire.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:31 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
The new hot spot for corporate CEO's, entertainers, etc. is the area from Paces Ferry Road along Ridgewood, Nancy Creek, the back end of West Paces Ferry and West Wesley. There is a home about to start on Garraux for $10 million. Tyler Perry is building a new home on Paces Ferry for over $30 million. A friend of mine sold his home a couple of years ago on Riverly for $7.5 million and another friend just bought one on West Wesley for $7.5 million. It's a hopping area - great lots, quiet, and beautiful homes.
Interesting we just looked at a ranch on Nancy Creek for sale. Maybe its a bargain!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:14 PM

739 posts, read 830,734 times
Blackrabbit,
If you are thinking of buying a ranch in that area, I would say that you would do quite well over time. Obviously it is a great neighborhood, but the value of older homes as teardowns is growing. There are only so many desirable lots left in that area. I am currently marketing a lot (albiet, a large one) in the area for $1.75 million.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:00 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,878 times
Default Ranch and bungalow/difference?

Hi: Where I am from, a ranch and a bungalow are the same thing. What is the difference? I saw a pretty white two story on Nancy Creek for about 1.1 I am out of the area currently and possibly anticipating a move to the area so watching real estate closely in ATL/Alpharetta.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Years ago I lived in Brookhaven before it cost $$$ to live there. If money was no object I'd move back into that area. All the basics in the neighborhood, plus you're very convenient to the Buckhead businesses, MARTA, and the North Metro. If I didn't have dogs, I'd opt for one of the brick townhomes in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta