Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:22 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It follows the Chattahoochee River.

From south to north:

Buckhead
Vinings
Sandy Springs
East Cobb
Roswell
Dunwoody
Peachtree Corners
Johns Creek (formerly unincorporated Alpharetta)
North Duluth
Suwanee
South Forsyth
Roughly the V formed between 75 and 85 with the wealthiest being due north and trending a little downward to the right and left. It's amazing how Dallas burbs are totally similar in a V shape from downtown with the wealthiest in a straight line north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 06:00 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It follows the Chattahoochee River.

From south to north:

Buckhead
Vinings
Sandy Springs
East Cobb
Roswell
Dunwoody
Peachtree Corners
Johns Creek (formerly unincorporated Alpharetta)
North Duluth
Suwanee
South Forsyth
And Alpharetta and Milton.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:56 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
That was 85 years ago. None of the power structure for either county is still alive. Besides, the world is not a static thing, unchanging, never evolving, or being rethought about what is or what can be. If the political and business interests involved want to split off and can pull it off; it is ok. The reason(s) for and against being offered here and other places are an academic and intellectual exercise by both sides. Check the shoulds and oughts at the door, as far as I am concerned.

Yes, my opinions are informed by a basic conservatism and also a very laissez faire (French: allow to) economics attitude and approach. Just in case anyone is in doubt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The folks up in Milton would do well to remember a little history.

Back in the depression when Milton wanted to become part of Fulton, it was both broke and rural. They had no bank, no hospital and no education system other than the occasional one room schoolhouse.

However, Fulton graciously took them in with no questions asked, and provided for them for decades. It strikes me as a bit unseemly for Milton to now turn around and bite the hand that fed them in their hour of need.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:20 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
So, I wonder if anyone knows: Of the taxes collected by the county, what is the percentage collected in old Milton County? My guess is that is a disproportionate amount compared to everything south of Buckhead. Would such a split-off increase Buckhead's tax burden to the balance of Fulton, thus pulling more tax expenditures away from that part of town?

Just curious.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
That was 85 years ago. None of the power structure for either county is still alive. Besides, the world is not a static thing, unchanging, never evolving, or being rethought about what is or what can be. If the political and business interests involved want to split off and can pull it off; it is ok. The reason(s) for and against being offered here and other places are an academic and intellectual exercise by both sides. Check the shoulds and oughts at the door, as far as I am concerned.

Yes, my opinions are informed by a basic conservatism and also a very laissez faire (French: allow to) economics attitude and approach. Just in case anyone is in doubt.
Well, the point is that achieving things takes a long time, often generations.

What if wealthy Fulton and COA had told Milton back in the Depression, "Too bad, no food, schools or hospitals for you. We had nothing to do with your people failing to build up systems for food, education and commerce."

If every current crop says, "I had nothing to do with what happened 40, 50 or 85 years ago," then we'd all be living in the bubble of our current existence. That's not conservative at all in my opinion.

A truly conservative outlook takes into account that the development of civilization is slow and gradual. It didn't just happen 20 years ago. There is always continuity with the past and if we don't take that into account we are losing not only our roots but our bearings for the future.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:53 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
So, I wonder if anyone knows: Of the taxes collected by the county, what is the percentage collected in old Milton County? My guess is that is a disproportionate amount compared to everything south of Buckhead. Would such a split-off increase Buckhead's tax burden to the balance of Fulton, thus pulling more tax expenditures away from that part of town?

Just curious.
All of Fulton County, expect those who live in municipality get taxed at the same percentage. If your property is more valuable, then you pay a high total amount, but the same percentage. #firstworldproblems

Old 01-06-2016, 11:01 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
You are welcome to question my bonafides as a conservative, but you'd be wrong. I've seen and positively commented on your posts in the past and will again in the future. But, honestly, a little surprised at the cheap shot across the bow. C'est la vie.
Quote:

What if wealthy Fulton and COA had told Milton back in the Depression, "Too bad, no food, schools or hospitals for you. We had nothing to do with your people failing to build up systems for food, education and commerce."

If every current crop says, "I had nothing to do with what happened 40, 50 or 85 years ago," then we'd all be living in the bubble of our current existence. That's not conservative at all in my opinion.

A truly conservative outlook takes into account that the development of civilization is slow and gradual. It didn't just happen 20 years ago. There is always continuity with the past and if we don't take that into account we are losing not only our roots but our bearings for the future.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:02 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
You are welcome to question my bonafides as a conservative, but you'd be wrong. I've seen and positively commented on your posts in the past and will again in the future. But, honestly, a little surprised at the cheap shot across the bow. C'est la vie.
It's not a cheap shot and I'm not questioning anybody's bona fides.

I like your posts, too, earthlyfather, but I simply have a different view on this issue. We may differ, but in my opinion conservatism calls for taking the long range perspective on social change, and that includes taking into account what went on before.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:13 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:

Beautiful post.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:48 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
All of Fulton County, expect those who live in municipality get taxed at the same percentage. If your property is more valuable, then you pay a high total amount, but the same percentage. #firstworldproblems
Yep. I understand that. Not a first world problem at all. I am simply curious how the taxes are spread across the two areas. I'm curious if more Milton tax goes elsewhere. That's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta