Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 05:48 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
There's an underlying belief among many people that a majority-black government or even a government prominently led by a black person is naturally bound to be corrupt, all because their natural character is often believed to be corrupt.

It's a bit of long-standing propaganda initially crafted in the antebellum days to convince people that letting the chattel govern itself would be a bad idea. It's a belief that still sticks with some people, especially when it comes to majority-black governance. Unfortunately, genuine concerns about corruption often get backburnered thanks to concerns that the "corruption" angle is just a ruse to neutralize and purge majority-black governments.

Who's to say that the newly-minted Milton County government won't be as corrupt (or even more so) than Fulton County supposedly is? I could point to Cobb County and the antics of Tim Lee, especially when it comes to the Braves stadium (and I still believe that's a complete disaster in the making).

The "North Fulton School district" seems like an interesting idea. It'll give taxpayers in that area another aspect of their government they can locally control, which seems to be the real issue. It's also a good reason why consolidating low-pop counties in other parts of Georgia just to maintain equilibrium as wealthier counties in the ATL metro split apart like so many hydrogen atoms won't fly - I'm sure most folks outside of ATL won't stand for it.
Of course it's a disaster. They have no transportation plan, not enough parking, and not enough public safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 05:59 PM

850 posts, read 902,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
This is not that different than any other county...you have wealthier school districts and poorer school districts within the same system. I don't see that the North Fulton area schools hurting any because of those in the south end of the county. Yes, more money comes from property taxes in North Fulton, but it's that way in every school system everywhere. The wealthier neighborhoods contribute more for everything tax-wise than the poorer areas - that's just the way it is and Fulton County is not unique in that way. You could say the same thing about Buckhead schools as opposed to Southwest Atlanta schools, but that's called being part of a system. If Fulton wasn't completely divided by the city we wouldn't even be having this discussion. You never hear about the wealthier areas of Gwinnet County wanting to break away or those of DeKalb or any other county - it's just the way Fulton County is shaped and divided that causes such an uproar.

And many of the South Fulton schools are not poor and are not propped up by North Fulton. There are middle-class areas of southern Fulton County.
I agree with this. Fulton county is the most racially and economically segregated counties in the state. North Fulton has very few minorities living in that area and the average household income in most of those suburbs are over $100k.

South Fulton has majority minorities residing the area but one myth is that these areas have low income households. There are some affluent neighborhoods in South Fulton like Camp Creek were wealthy families live.

Gwinnett county on the other hand is the most diverse county in the state both racially and economically and the affluent suburbs are spread out around the county so it would be impossible for them to break free from Gwinnett and form their own county. Duluth, Suwanee, Snellville are considered the affluent suburbs of the county with the better performing schools because those households have more money to spend on SAT prep and Tutoring for AP classes.

While Norcross, Lawrenceville, and Lilburn are considered the working class to lower middle class suburbs in the county that have lower performing schools.

This shows how segregated metro Atlanta is still today and that Georgia is still living in old times. I grew up in Alpharetta (North Fulton) and the area is nothing special. The only reason people move there is for the schools and most of the minority students still struggled to get into great colleges unless their parents had upper middle class incomes to pay for SAT prep and AP classes. The teachers in my AP classes were very clear cut and told anyone struggling in the class to get a tutor or drop the course. I never had so many arrogant teachers until I took AP courses.
Honestly I went to college in Georgia for the hope scholarship and after graduation I looked for jobs out of state and landed a position elsewhere and I am so glad to be out of segregated Georgia and the close minded people that live in the more affluent regions of the state.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:00 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I understand that as to individuals, but it takes a long time to achieve institutional balance. For example, we can't say, "To heck with the Native Americans, none of us were around when they were driven out of Georgia."
Right, however, I think those are quite a bit different. The policies of the US in regards to Natives had such a damaging effect and the many different groups haven't really recovered. They can't just reclaim land their ancestors had. It's not reversible whereas Milton county can be reformed. Also, the treatment of natives was nearly 100% negative. The dissolution of Milton County wasn't much of a negative for anyone and I don't think anyone that was negatively affected is still feeling the effect (or their descendants). At the least, they had a much better chance of turning it around than the Natives who had major losses in land and people.

Old 12-29-2015, 06:19 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That's very similar to the disreputable attitude that underlies the inclination among some to throw south Fulton under the bus, as I outlined above. So basically you're just expressing bravado out of self-motivation without any real moral or civil foundation for what you're advocating.

Sam Kinison was a comedian, making a joke. He never intended people to integrate his words into their moral compass. However, I'm confident you realize that. I'm confident that despite your apparent ignorance of the realities about which you're trying to comment, it costs money to move, and that there is no reason to believe that moving will make anything better - that your call for poor people to move is just a ridiculously nonsensical and utterly clueless exhortation.

But you're not offering the jobs you talked about - why should anyone else? I outlined a budgeting challenge - a basic economic quandary of keeping costs (such a commuting costs and daycare costs) low enough such that they don't eat away the revenues generated based on those costs and instead could be sufficient to pay one's own way and secure one's own future. And your response to that is to increase revenues, yet again totally oblivious to costs, totally oblivious to the core matter of resolving the need to pay one's own way and secure one's own future. I'm sure you're more financially savvy than your comments are making you seem.What I'm not sure is whether you're willing to admit that your comments are strictly intended to foster your own personal advantage to the exclusion of others, because you don't care about anyone other than you and yours.

No, Caleb. The average poor person in south Fulton doesn't have a late model SUV or an expensive smartphone. That's nonsense that is used to dupe weak-minded sycophants into hating poor people in the interest of securing the comfort and luxury of the rich.

My comments scream of holding the self-centeredness you favor to account. My comments scream of moral repudiation for the egoistic opportunism for which you advocate.

Precisely, but the nonsense that all poor people are riding around in late model SUVs is part and parcel of the rationalizations for morally offensive self-motivation that is running rampant in our society, placing the comfort and luxury of some over the basic needs of those most vulnerable in society. We go to church on Sunday mornings and the worship leader preaches to us about right and wrong. Some of us take the lessons to heart and recognize that whether we're Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Unitarian, Baha'i, Sikh, or what have you, we're called to represent for the poor and weak rather than just kowtow to those who have money. Some others apparently think that sitting through Sunday morning worship (or not, for that matter) exempts them from behaving in a compassionate and considerate manner toward those less fortunate, or think that lording over them offering the small pittance that they deign to bless the poor with exempts them from the moral responsibility as members of our shared community to address the injustices within.

Okay, still at it....here we go....

So not moving is a better choice...right? Then tell me why the majority of the whites that's ere in those circumstances...did? Sam Kinison wasn't a comedian. He was a great comedian and yes, despite is sarcasm, it makes a point. The definition of insanity is to continue doing the same things over and over again expecting a different result like say, oh, I dunno, pouring money into a dis functional part of society expecting it will change. Silly us, right? And in the end, it's the ones who gave.....and gave and gave who are at fault....right? Interesting.

Jsut so you get the facts right, I'm a white guy and I'm not riding around in a high dollar SUV OUT OF CHOICE due to FAMILY PRIORITIES. All your assailing at those who do, or one who enjoy their wealth is just playa hating' ain't it? Besides, I notice an awful lot of successful urban folks up here, awful lot of pro athletes from you pick the sport living in a sugarloaf, not Clayton. Holyfield tried it and looked what is happening to his mausoleum? I noticed you left them out? Why?

Perhaps if the south side had more family priorities Clayton County wouldn't be the laughingstock of counties in Atlanta? See? Self governance......right into the ground. Or is that our fault....too?

You know, 33 years ago I left Ohio with $900 to my name, two duffel bags of clothing in a beat up 74 monte Carlo with a peeling landau roof and a hole in the floor behind the drivers seat. I put a rug over the hole to keep the gas fumes out. I arrived in Houston 2 days later reading the want ads at a Stop n' Go convenience store on a Sunday morning. Me and probably 40-50 illegals looking for work.

I never looked back.

Now, if I could go across the country with $900 I had saved up prior to leaving the marines corps after 4 years (by the way, there's the way out for many youths in that position) and drive 1,500 miles to find a job paying $8.17 an hour (and I was thrilled to get it as I could not find that at home) certainly these legions of poor you so aptly describe can make it across town??? Or is that our fault? Too?

Oh, and along the way, I ALWAYS LIVED BELOW MY MEANS, drove modest cars and STILL SAVED MONEY. Oh, and yeah, I gave 10% to my church. Weekly. Soooooo, moral cognizance of the less fortunate is not new in my wheelhouse. Especially after having been one. For year's.

Not everyone drives a expensive SUV in da hood is true, but the fact I see two sitting in a driveway heading west on MLk out of town or, near The near West End at a house that is falling down does give pause? And no, it is a colorblind judgement. why is there the term "classism " being used? Hmmmmmmmmmm?

In short, many should quit making excuses and MOVE. here's a thought, work two jobs and scrimp and save until you CAN MOVE? I did. And man, it was NOT easy. But, I did. With barely a HS diploma. And through it all, I have NEVER missed a payment, or bounced a check. No joke. The government and society in general is not charged with the welfare of all, only the most disadvantaged, mentally I'll, infirmed or physically challenged despite the lazy's attempts to the contrary.

Being. "poor" in America is not poor. Just google how a single woman with two kids making 27k a year in Pennsylvania is actually living BETTER than a single woman with two kids making 57k in Pennsylvania. Talk about your lopsided system. When you account for all the social,programs the former is "entitled" to, she comes out ahead. Source of the complaint? The state of Pennsylvania itself! The state says it has gotten so bad that they are seeking a change. This is a liberally oriented state and THEY are complaining.

Further proof? My mother. She grew up in Cleveland in a 3 ROOM apartment with her mom, dad, sister, and brother. She shared an alcove with her sister, brother slept on the couch, parents in the one bedroom. First generation Irish in the 20's and 30's. Worked at Kroger for five years saving for nursing school. 35 cents an hour as a cashier. Despite that, her parents net them to a catholic school. 72 kids to a classroom. They had those teardrop shaped desks with book storage below.....9 rows, 8 deep. And god help you if you missed a class or cut up.

Her condition would be considered "substandard" today and new housing would have to be provided for kids in that circumstance. Along with the sprint phones, subsidized cable, subsidized transport, school lunches, breakkfast, after school,care, healthcare, WIC, EBT and god only knows how many other programs that exist today. Today's poor are typically not as poor as one would like to think? Try to defend all of that in the same mouthful that says you need more? For the record, the "bubble gum" of their error was the dribbling tar bubbling out of the smudgpots the road crews used to mark a huge chuckholes...there were usually two burning at each sawhorse.....if you lived in the 50's and 60's you know what I'm talking about. Today, they are blinking lights. Anyway, the poor kids use to scrape a bit off and mush it in their mouths in a vane attempt to have "gum" too like the wealthier kids of the day. Not that 5 gum you see on the dash of every "poor" person driving a red jeep Cherokee? Please. Today's "poor" are the envy of every dead first generation immigrant of the 30's. The programs are a huge success and I'm glad we have them but maybe, juuuuuust maybe we have gone too far??? Teach a man to fish....right? It would save us trillions over time. After all. ALL work IS honorable. Just need to get some to try.

How about WE need more out of every able bodied male, female on assistance. Christ, they had a meltdown when we mentioned drug testing for those taking assistance, the nerve, right? And I don't give one Shiite about THAT cost as its a moral issue, not a financial one. Aftere all, according to your camp, the fraud is so little how much could the testing really be....right??? Got it....check....

And yet, folks like you challenge that at every turn. It's a nice thought to fish for all men but, wouldn't it be smarter to teach a man to fish instead???? We have all the money in the world for those I mentioned. We simply have run out of tolerance for those, while articulate, live in a sea of excuses to get ahead, improve their lives and the lives of their loved ones. In the end, you have to TRY REAL, REAL, RAEL HARD. Accept rejection, get out of your comfort zone, get off the bench and be willing to work your collective assets off to claw out.

I did and I am NO mental giant. The best gift I ever received from my parents and cherish the most was an incredible work ethic. it has filled in for my lack of ability for decades. God knows I was never all that smart but, i was always willing to try, to take risks, to swim unchartered waters, accept my defeats and keeeeeeep moving. A great work ethic is THE single best insultor to poverty.

Try preaching THAT at your next sermon. The illegal Hispanics are living proof that no matter your lot in life you can fight your way out in this country. They will,live 10-12 in an apartment and work 7 days a week if you let them It's time those that have lived here all of their lives start doing the same? Most Americans quit at 5 or whenever that receptionist is not watching, whichever comes first.....Atlanta is the home of go in late, leave early and above all, avoid a good solid 40 hours plus. Zig Ziegler was right, all competition stops at 5:00 PM.

Are these folks you mentioned of the same ilk? For those that aren't, God Bless, right? For the rest, they don't need a tones money. They need a kick in the assets, period. Who knows? A few might even make it out. I did and it's a journey I recommend highly.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:22 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
North Fulton getting its own school system actually makes 100% sense. Since Atlanta has its own public school system, only makes sense for North and South Fulton, being not connected to each other and far away from each other, to each have their own separate system. That much I do agree with.

Anything that can be done to reform the county in logical ways is fine. I just completely 100% oppose breaking up the county.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:08 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,746,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Okay, still at it....here we go....

So not moving is a better choice...right? Then tell me why the majority of the whites that's ere in those circumstances...did? Sam Kinison wasn't a comedian. He was a great comedian and yes, despite is sarcasm, it makes a point. The definition of insanity is to continue doing the same things over and over again expecting a different result like say, oh, I dunno, pouring money into a dis functional part of society expecting it will change. Silly us, right? And in the end, it's the ones who gave.....and gave and gave who are at fault....right? Interesting.

Jsut so you get the facts right, I'm a white guy and I'm not riding around in a high dollar SUV OUT OF CHOICE due to FAMILY PRIORITIES. All your assailing at those who do, or one who enjoy their wealth is just playa hating' ain't it? Besides, I notice an awful lot of successful urban folks up here, awful lot of pro athletes from you pick the sport living in a sugarloaf, not Clayton. Holyfield tried it and looked what is happening to his mausoleum? I noticed you left them out? Why?

Perhaps if the south side had more family priorities Clayton County wouldn't be the laughingstock of counties in Atlanta? See? Self governance......right into the ground. Or is that our fault....too?

You know, 33 years ago I left Ohio with $900 to my name, two duffel bags of clothing in a beat up 74 monte Carlo with a peeling landau roof and a hole in the floor behind the drivers seat. I put a rug over the hole to keep the gas fumes out. I arrived in Houston 2 days later reading the want ads at a Stop n' Go convenience store on a Sunday morning. Me and probably 40-50 illegals looking for work.

I never looked back.

Now, if I could go across the country with $900 I had saved up prior to leaving the marines corps after 4 years (by the way, there's the way out for many youths in that position) and drive 1,500 miles to find a job paying $8.17 an hour (and I was thrilled to get it as I could not find that at home) certainly these legions of poor you so aptly describe can make it across town??? Or is that our fault? Too?

Oh, and along the way, I ALWAYS LIVED BELOW MY MEANS, drove modest cars and STILL SAVED MONEY. Oh, and yeah, I gave 10% to my church. Weekly. Soooooo, moral cognizance of the less fortunate is not new in my wheelhouse. Especially after having been one. For year's.

Not everyone drives a expensive SUV in da hood is true, but the fact I see two sitting in a driveway heading west on MLk out of town or, near The near West End at a house that is falling down does give pause? And no, it is a colorblind judgement. why is there the term "classism " being used? Hmmmmmmmmmm?

In short, many should quit making excuses and MOVE. here's a thought, work two jobs and scrimp and save until you CAN MOVE? I did. And man, it was NOT easy. But, I did. With barely a HS diploma. And through it all, I have NEVER missed a payment, or bounced a check. No joke. The government and society in general is not charged with the welfare of all, only the most disadvantaged, mentally I'll, infirmed or physically challenged despite the lazy's attempts to the contrary.

Being. "poor" in America is not poor. Just google how a single woman with two kids making 27k a year in Pennsylvania is actually living BETTER than a single woman with two kids making 57k in Pennsylvania. Talk about your lopsided system. When you account for all the social,programs the former is "entitled" to, she comes out ahead. Source of the complaint? The state of Pennsylvania itself! The state says it has gotten so bad that they are seeking a change. This is a liberally oriented state and THEY are complaining.

Further proof? My mother. She grew up in Cleveland in a 3 ROOM apartment with her mom, dad, sister, and brother. She shared an alcove with her sister, brother slept on the couch, parents in the one bedroom. First generation Irish in the 20's and 30's. Worked at Kroger for five years saving for nursing school. 35 cents an hour as a cashier. Despite that, her parents net them to a catholic school. 72 kids to a classroom. They had those teardrop shaped desks with book storage below.....9 rows, 8 deep. And god help you if you missed a class or cut up.

Her condition would be considered "substandard" today and new housing would have to be provided for kids in that circumstance. Along with the sprint phones, subsidized cable, subsidized transport, school lunches, breakkfast, after school,care, healthcare, WIC, EBT and god only knows how many other programs that exist today. Today's poor are typically not as poor as one would like to think? Try to defend all of that in the same mouthful that says you need more? For the record, the "bubble gum" of their error was the dribbling tar bubbling out of the smudgpots the road crews used to mark a huge chuckholes...there were usually two burning at each sawhorse.....if you lived in the 50's and 60's you know what I'm talking about. Today, they are blinking lights. Anyway, the poor kids use to scrape a bit off and mush it in their mouths in a vane attempt to have "gum" too like the wealthier kids of the day. Not that 5 gum you see on the dash of every "poor" person driving a red jeep Cherokee? Please. Today's "poor" are the envy of every dead first generation immigrant of the 30's. The programs are a huge success and I'm glad we have them but maybe, juuuuuust maybe we have gone too far??? Teach a man to fish....right? It would save us trillions over time. After all. ALL work IS honorable. Just need to get some to try.

How about WE need more out of every able bodied male, female on assistance. Christ, they had a meltdown when we mentioned drug testing for those taking assistance, the nerve, right? And I don't give one Shiite about THAT cost as its a moral issue, not a financial one. Aftere all, according to your camp, the fraud is so little how much could the testing really be....right??? Got it....check....

And yet, folks like you challenge that at every turn. It's a nice thought to fish for all men but, wouldn't it be smarter to teach a man to fish instead???? We have all the money in the world for those I mentioned. We simply have run out of tolerance for those, while articulate, live in a sea of excuses to get ahead, improve their lives and the lives of their loved ones. In the end, you have to TRY REAL, REAL, RAEL HARD. Accept rejection, get out of your comfort zone, get off the bench and be willing to work your collective assets off to claw out.

I did and I am NO mental giant. The best gift I ever received from my parents and cherish the most was an incredible work ethic. it has filled in for my lack of ability for decades. God knows I was never all that smart but, i was always willing to try, to take risks, to swim unchartered waters, accept my defeats and keeeeeeep moving. A great work ethic is THE single best insultor to poverty.

Try preaching THAT at your next sermon. The illegal Hispanics are living proof that no matter your lot in life you can fight your way out in this country. They will,live 10-12 in an apartment and work 7 days a week if you let them It's time those that have lived here all of their lives start doing the same? Most Americans quit at 5 or whenever that receptionist is not watching, whichever comes first.....Atlanta is the home of go in late, leave early and above all, avoid a good solid 40 hours plus. Zig Ziegler was right, all competition stops at 5:00 PM.

Are these folks you mentioned of the same ilk? For those that aren't, God Bless, right? For the rest, they don't need a tones money. They need a kick in the assets, period. Who knows? A few might even make it out. I did and it's a journey I recommend highly.
The southside has many great parents who try their best to provide their kids with all their wants and needs like any other parent would. Clayton has many families from many different backgrounds including Hispanic immigrants and Vietnam refugees who hold their children to high standards. Their are also many middle class Black areas that hold their own. Clayton County is also a great county and is essential to Atlanta. It is definitely not a laughing stock and pointing Clayton's problems out does not excuse the bonehead decisions made in Cobb and even Gwinnett. We are a METRO AREA and we should operate as such. Every county is important in the grand scheme of things, ane losing Clayton or South Fulton wound hurt the whole area.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:34 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
North Fulton getting its own school system actually makes 100% sense. Since Atlanta has its own public school system, only makes sense for North and South Fulton, being not connected to each other and far away from each other, to each have their own separate system. That much I do agree with.

Anything that can be done to reform the county in logical ways is fine. I just completely 100% oppose breaking up the county.
Atlanta had it's school system before Fulton or Milton started one.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:29 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
FDR would tell people like you to get it together. Believe it or not, most progressives believe in responsibility and accountability. Then there's the fringe liberals like yourself who always want to blame someone else.

Trying to quote politicos from the past to further adolescent arguments is a sign of limitations. Moreover, only you are trying to designate yourself with these "cafeteria labels" in order to excuse your obtuse and provincial thinking. No one said anything about blaming others--yet your capacity to reveal your true nature in a few keystrokes is mildly entertaining (just like that asinine and pathetic post about your mother and that Kroger).

Lesson: Responsibility and accountability are a part of the human condition. There is no need for any political affiliation to co-opt aspects of normal living in order to keep themselves in business and divide the populace.

Stop trying to feign intelligence--this is obviously out of your league. I do not want to again have to use a verbal switch on your behind.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:17 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Chemist View Post
I agree with this. Fulton county is the most racially and economically segregated counties in the state. North Fulton has very few minorities living in that area and the average household income in most of those suburbs are over $100k.

South Fulton has majority minorities residing the area but one myth is that these areas have low income households. There are some affluent neighborhoods in South Fulton like Camp Creek were wealthy families live.

Gwinnett county on the other hand is the most diverse county in the state both racially and economically and the affluent suburbs are spread out around the county so it would be impossible for them to break free from Gwinnett and form their own county. Duluth, Suwanee, Snellville are considered the affluent suburbs of the county with the better performing schools because those households have more money to spend on SAT prep and Tutoring for AP classes.

While Norcross, Lawrenceville, and Lilburn are considered the working class to lower middle class suburbs in the county that have lower performing schools.

This shows how segregated metro Atlanta is still today and that Georgia is still living in old times. I grew up in Alpharetta (North Fulton) and the area is nothing special. The only reason people move there is for the schools and most of the minority students still struggled to get into great colleges unless their parents had upper middle class incomes to pay for SAT prep and AP classes. The teachers in my AP classes were very clear cut and told anyone struggling in the class to get a tutor or drop the course. I never had so many arrogant teachers until I took AP courses.
Honestly I went to college in Georgia for the hope scholarship and after graduation I looked for jobs out of state and landed a position elsewhere and I am so glad to be out of segregated Georgia and the close minded people that live in the more affluent regions of the state.
These are some excellent points about how there are many affluent neighborhoods in South Fulton (something that is somewhat seemingly contrary to prevailing public belief in many quarters) and about how Gwinnett County is widely recognized as the most diverse county in the state (and one of the most diverse counties in the nation).

Though it should be noted that even despite repeated efforts to breakaway from the rest of Fulton and form its own county and despite having a majority-white population, North Fulton County (an area which includes the cities of Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Milton) is much more diverse than many often perceive it to be.

As of 2010, non-Hispanic whites made up about 63% of North Fulton County's population....With non-Hispanic whites making up only 59.9% of Johns Creek's population and only 58.7% of Sandy Springs population as of 2010....Percentages that have likely retreated even more as of mid-decade (2015) as minority population growth has continued to boom with a rebounding economy.

Also, of the 10 public high schools in North Fulton County, six of them (North Springs HS (25.7% white); Riverwood HS (31.8% white); Centennial HS (46% white); Alpharetta HS (49% white); Chattahoochee HS (48.9% white); and Northview HS (32.97% white)) have student populations in which non-Hispanic whites make up a minority of the school's total enrollment/student population....Figures which indicate that the general populations at-large in those areas are likely trending towards "majority-minority" status in the not-too-distant future.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:17 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The southside has many great parents who try their best to provide their kids with all their wants and needs like any other parent would. Clayton has many families from many different backgrounds including Hispanic immigrants and Vietnam refugees who hold their children to high standards. Their are also many middle class Black areas that hold their own. Clayton County is also a great county and is essential to Atlanta. It is definitely not a laughing stock and pointing Clayton's problems out does not excuse the bonehead decisions made in Cobb and even Gwinnett. We are a METRO AREA and we should operate as such. Every county is important in the grand scheme of things, ane losing Clayton or South Fulton wound hurt the whole area.
Those aren't the ones we are talking about.....we get it. There are thousands doing everything they can to move up and on. However, there are simply too many who don't and rail at the thought of Milton being formed. As I mentioned, there was NO help, outside of their own churches/parishes for the immigrants of yesteryear and they made it out. The ones that languished behind did not fare any better.

Difference?m they didn't soak every able bodied tax payer out of their money. I think their system was better for one simple reason. It MADE people work. As a side benefit, not one job currently held by an illegal would be available anymore. Why? Because lazier Americans would HAVE to take those jobs so it has a huge economic swing factor if employed.

I'm not saying cut off the medical access. We never had even before obamacare. What I am saying is, if you want a cell phone, earn it...if you want a free lunch or breakfast, earn it....if you want foodstamps, get drug tested and lock ul every convenience store owner that frauds them.....you get the idea...remove the comforts......when I started researching how many government programs there are I was simply blown away. Reduce it to cheaper (not free) food...food stamps that CAN'T be used for just about anything, some housing assistance (not free unless you convert a military base or two), forced employment......two jobs.....elimination of all benefits if convicted of a felony (drugs)....you know, ACCOUNTABILITY????????????????

Do that, foster that, and I'll show you a poorer sector rebounding despite the huge amount of grumbling head on. Take the savings and invest in trade schools and training. Force a kid or adult to learn some skills. Take a pass and you are on your own. For all the por BS I see I have yet to see many go mow some lawns, wash some dishes, polish some cars, do more house cleaning, deliveries, etc....I see the cars, I don't see the efforts.

It's not flying. The golden goose has been squeezed long enough and now thanks to your guy, we are 19 trillion in debt and climbing. Who is going to pay THAT tab? The poor on the south side or those better off paying hundreds of thousands in taxes already like say, oh, I dunno, Milton? I really really don't have high expectations that south Fulton will be paying the tab despite the presidents best efforts to reapportion all the bennies to them...do you? Hmmmmmm?

How about we run up a huge credit card debt and stick YOU with it? How would you like if we railed at the audacity of you fighting back after we spent YOUR money? You'd be okay with that....right?

As it relates to bonehead moves of Cobb (braves stadium at one of the busiest traffic corridors in the state) it pales in comparison to when Clayton lost its accreditation for schools. I have yet to see that anywhere else in this state although, I'm sure some give it a try. Couple that with a racist black sherriff that fired every white officer based on color only to be sued in court for racist tactics that cost the already beleaguered county more money it doesn't have. Even MARTA struggles to maintain bus service there....wher are all the community leaders helping them out? If there is so much affluence in Clayton, where is it now? More like effluent. Plenty of dat'

And whenever someone makes it out, they seldom return to help. Just go to sugarloaf. Lots of NFL, NBA stars keeping THEIR distance, huh. Toni "Bwwahxtun" moved to Johns Creek years ago...why do you think she did that when she could have live in one of this e high dollar, poor investment, Hollyfield Mansions in Clayton?

Same reasons anyone would bolt. It's not safe, typically dumpy, and downright dangerous. I don't hear about many shootings on the north side in apartment campuses throwing a high school party, do you? Hmmmmm? The last thing anyone needs anywhere is "Clayton county leadership" for anything. I wouldn't trust them to run a convenience store let alone a county. Kick on Cobb all you like. You only wish Clayton were run so "poorly".

Clayton is now the mableton of counties. Plenty of jokes abound and for good reason. The best they can hope for down there is to arrange the furniture on their "Titanic" of a county is a nice patio grouping for fwwwends.

Want to consolidate? Combine Clayton into South Fulton and let Milton split off. Yeah, I think everyone in North Fulton would support that, sure. Just one question, how do you think the folks in South Fulton would feel? Think they would be on board? I mean, with all those great students and newly discovered wealth you mentioned, it should be a layup, right?

Last edited by Caleb Longstreet; 12-30-2015 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta