Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 AM

867 posts, read 2,497,852 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. My husband and I will be spending the summer in Atlanta for his MBA internship, and to make matters slightly complicated we are expecting a baby on the very day he is supposed to start work. Anyways, I am in need of some information regarding hospitals in the city and where the best place to deliver might be. I will also obviously need to find a doctor, so any recommendations would be welcomed. If anyone is willing to share their stories I would greatly appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM

387 posts, read 1,597,340 times
Northside. Everyone delivers there.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:45 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,366,894 times
We had a baby at Piedmont Hospital (in Atlanta, north of midtown) about one month after we moved here. Our experience was a good one, albeit a little stressful. Also, many people go to Northside. Maybe you could have the baby where you are now and move down to join him in Atlanta shortly after the birth.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:02 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,756,186 times
Both hospitals are excellent with excellent L&D floors. I'd choose the one closest to where you'll be living so you don't sit in the car in labor!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:59 PM

100 posts, read 430,436 times
Depending where you will be living, I would also recommend Northside. It isn't known as the "baby factory" for nothing, and it has a world-class NICU in case of emergency. Of course, it also depends on what you are looking for in your birth experience. Personally, I wanted a smaller hospital, where my baby would stay in-room with me, so I chose to deliver at Northside-Cherokee in Canton (where I live). I had a wonderful experience.

If you are going to be near either Canton or Vinings, I highly recommend Dr. Eliza Bruscato. Responsive, caring, talented, and spends as much time as you need answering all your questions. Of course, this means she often falls behind schedule with appointments, LOL, but it doesn't mean your time with her will be rushed. She truly cares.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 AM

112 posts, read 489,090 times
I've delivered at both Northside and Dekalb Medical Center (in Decatur). I would say that a lot depends on where you're living, to be honest. I live closer to Decatur, and had no desire to get stuck in traffic trying to get to Northside for my second baby.

Northside was fine, but your experience will greatly depend on how many people are there getting induced on the day you happen to give birth. They have a great NICU. I was very happy at Dekalb, and they've since built an entirely new maternity wing, so it would be worth checking them out. They also have a good NICU. (Full disclosure: my husband is a pediatrician, and we wouldn't have delivered anywhere that didn't meet his standards for emergencies.) I have many friends who have delivered at Crawford Long and have nothing but positive things to say about that hospital, as well.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:12 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,494,073 times
I was an x-ray tech at Northside for 3 years. Their Women's Center is spectacular. The rooms are like hotel suites, the staff is top notch. The NICU is so big it's divided into "pods", or divided areas, each staffed with nurses and techs of all sorts. Northside delivers more babies per year than any facility in the nation, so they know what they're doing, and they know how to treat a family. The Women's Center is Northside's pride & joy, and is much newer and nicer than the actual hospital itself. For something as important as bringing a child into the world, it's the perfect spot. My sister in law had both of her kids at Kennestone in Marietta, and although everything went fine, it was still not the Northside experience. I worked at Kennestone too, and it is a zoo. For my family, it would be Northside all the way.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:14 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,697,238 times
...why not Grady?

Old 01-31-2008, 03:28 PM

867 posts, read 2,497,852 times
Thanks for the help everybody! I really wish I could stay here and deliver and then head down, but we are all alone here in Raleigh/Durham and I really don't want to be by myself when I go into labour. I think it will be easier in the long run if we are in Atlanta by May 1st-ish so I can find a doctor and be all set up for a June 2nd due date.

On another note, if I decide that Northside seems like the best option, how does one find a doctor who delivers there? Would the hospital tell me? Do I just call around? Is there a website for the Women's Center?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:49 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,700,572 times
Where will you be living -- this makes all the difference in the world... you don't want to have your baby sitting in I-285 traffic.

I might start by asking your current doctor for a recommendation or two. They all seem to know each other.

I delivered at both Northside and Piedmont and much prefer Piedmont, much less hectic and much more personal attention. I have friends who have felt "shafted" at Northside cause it can get so busy -- no one can help you right away.

But again, you really need to know where you will be living...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta