Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:05 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I have said this repeatedly, but this argument is truly false. The meter person, does not KNOW the time left on meters. They can only know if it has expired, because it's quite possible to park in a space that has time remaining from the previous parked car. So yes, their JOB is to monitor cars parked in expired meters, how do they accomplish that, well by systematically monitor cars in expired meters.

This is the major issue with Park Atlanta, ticketing non metered parking spaces. I have heard these horror stories, and it's impossible to defend. I also witnessed it on the Highland ave bridge, but the arguments about aggressive meter ticketing is ridiculous.
If Highland Ave Bridge is signed as No Parking, then they have every right to ticket cars in a no parking zone. How hard is it to follow the laws and look at the signs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 09:26 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
I think laws need to be enforced but I think having penalties scale up is the best approach.

FTA:

Quote:
He said, some cities have noticed that around 5 percent of license plates account for a quarter of all tickets. So they use graduated fines. That means serial violators face steep costs, but those who are unlucky once or twice pay a nominal fee.

“Other cities go even further in that the first violation of the year is a warning. So it really shows that the city is trying to enforce the law but not to raise a lot of money and penalize occasional violators,” Shoup said.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:51 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
I have said this repeatedly, but this argument is truly false. The meter person, does not KNOW the time left on meters.
Do you have proof of this statement?

Because I have, on more than one occasion, witnessed a Park Atlanta vehicle pull up to our car parked in front of a restaurant when we knowingly had just a few minutes left on our meter. The PA person pulled right behind our car, and walked up to the car, as though they were waiting for time to expire. When we came out to get into the car, they got in their vehicle and left. Maybe they are clairvoyant?

So, does their system only tell them where expired meters are? Because I know they don't get out, go up to every machine, and look at it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I think laws need to be enforced but I think having penalties scale up is the best approach.
Great idea.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:02 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

FTA:
I like a graduated system.
When I parked at the Amtrak lot in Lancaster I got a ticket (it was actually bogus, long story) for not paying. The first time offender penalty wasn't even a surcharge. I was just supposed to pay the original fee ($5) and that was it. Repeat violators or those that didn't pay within N number of days got some sort of fee like 10% or $1 per day, something like that. Nothing that would break the bank unless you were constantly offending. Obviously a bit different from street parking but same principle. I think a $35 fine for overstaying by just seconds is silly (which is the penalty at my old college).

Old 05-20-2016, 11:39 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Report the issue to DPW, they will make the decision if the sign should be removed or not. It is not up to a citizen to decide which laws to follow and which to avoid.
Of course it is. We all do exactly that every day.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

Because I have, on more than one occasion, witnessed a Park Atlanta vehicle pull up to our car parked in front of a restaurant when we knowingly had just a few minutes left on our meter. The PA person pulled right behind our car, and walked up to the car, as though they were waiting for time to expire. When we came out to get into the car, they got in their vehicle and left. Maybe they are clairvoyant?

So, does their system only tell them where expired meters are? Because I know they don't get out, go up to every machine, and look at it from there.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty confident that they do have a way of knowing this. We've had the technology required to do this for decades.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:15 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If Highland Ave Bridge is signed as No Parking, then they have every right to ticket cars in a no parking zone. How hard is it to follow the laws and look at the signs?

Yes, it's currently signed, but that wasn't the case until the uproar from ParkAtlanta ticketing folks cars. I'm no apologist for free parking, but that was wrong and I don't own a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

Great idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I'm pretty confident that they do have a way of knowing this. We've had the technology required to do this for decades.
Yes, I've shared my story numerous times, but here it is again.

I was dining on 12th & Crescent. I was seating on a patio, literally 10 yards from where my friend parked her car, I greeted her and proceeded to pay the parking meter. Less than 2 minutes into my cocktail, Ms. ParkAtlanta comes up and proceeds to write her a ticket. I nicely tried to get her attention, but she ignored me. I walked over and berated her, and asked why was she writing a ticket and she said the meter was expired. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my receipt, she says. "Oh I'm sorry the system showed the meter as expired, it has now refreshed" I was furious but, I also curious at the same time. A very troubling emotion to deal with.

At this point I was pissed, because on another occasion I rightfully received a ticket for an expired meter and I pleaded ignorance and the parking lady said "We can't undo tickets once we have entered the vin". Well that was a lie, because I had just witnessed it first hand. She proceeded to undue the ticket and walked away as if she did nothing wrong.. DAMN YOU PARK ATLANTA....LOL.

So now I'm curious, I live downtown and don't drive. I run across Park Atlanta all the time on the streets, where friendly pedestrians travel. I asked several attendants writing tickets, how much time was left on the meter and they normally ignored me with a god like complex. One individual, let me pick his brain and he says "The average space is normally paid 5-15 minutes, no one pays for the max, because 4 bucks is unreasonable, if you are only going to be there for 5 minutes. (before you go there this was anecdotal, HE CAN'T TELL) So they know immediately, once a space has turn from paid to expired, there is a likelihood that a car is parked illegally. He also mentioned that if a space has been expired for too long, there is also a likelihood that it's illegally parked.

So there you have it, if that's not proof enough, I'm not sure if I can change your opinion, but I've changed mine to at least understand their process. Yes, they are trying to write as many tickets as possible, because it is a business. However, if your excuse is that they are predatory, I suggest finding a better transportation alternative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta