Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,996,499 times

Advertisements

Have E-meters that allow users mobile payment and set a time limit, 2 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 09:43 AM

32,063 posts, read 37,011,988 times
I think all parking meters should give you a paper receipt. It makes me edgy when I put my money in and there's no proof that I paid and at what time. Somebody could come along and slap a ticket on me and there's no way I could dispute it.

I'm also okay with Parkatlatna or whoever doing parking enforcement, but they should be required to have good customer service.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:54 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,196,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I think all parking meters should give you a paper receipt. It makes me edgy when I put my money in and there's no proof that I paid and at what time. Somebody could come along and slap a ticket on me and there's no way I could dispute it.
There's also no proof that the meters tell proper time. Are they calibrated and inspected occasionally?

Old 05-19-2016, 02:10 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,648,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
have e-meters that allow users mobile payment and set a time limit, 2 hours.
xenu approves

Old 05-19-2016, 06:48 PM

770 posts, read 606,845 times
Grace period is ridiculous, when does it end, how long do they have to wait, the only fair way is to ticket if it's up, if you didn't pay, get out.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:12 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,395,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
No excuse for ticketing cars that are legally parked, but your first point makes zero sense. Should expired meters be given a grace period. What's the solution, only ticket cars that are illegally parked while casually observing them? If so, that's exactly what COA did before ParkAtlanta and it was ineffective. Pay the meter, or face a fine. People and their cars feel so entitled.

I'm ok with replacing ParkAtlanta, but only because of their customer service was abysmal. However, the only way to enforce parking is to ticket expired meters. That's not subjective, and ParkAtlanta was highly effective at this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
Grace period is ridiculous, when does it end, how long do they have to wait, the only fair way is to ticket if it's up, if you didn't pay, get out.
Not saying that there needs to be an official grace period. If they happen to roll up on an expired meter, then by all means, ticket the person. I just hate how they systematically hunt down every meter about to expire with their little system and wait right there for the meter to expire and slap a ticket on, even if you are 30 feet away running to the car.

I would be curious in seeing how many of you call red-light cameras "revenue enhancers" or some violation of rights, or are against speeding tickets at the bottom of hills, or citations from a hidden officer.

Old 05-20-2016, 07:42 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,367,338 times
Park Atlanta most definitely engages in predatory ticketing. Here's one example:

A driveway to a small parking lot is fenced off for a year to build Inman Quarter. The No Parking sign near the driveway still exists, but serves no purpose since the parking lot and its entrance have been demolished. Therefore, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to park by the curb where there used to be a driveway. But Park Atlanta still issued tickets there.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:00 AM

989 posts, read 1,748,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Not saying that there needs to be an official grace period. If they happen to roll up on an expired meter, then by all means, ticket the person. I just hate how they systematically hunt down every meter about to expire with their little system and wait right there for the meter to expire and slap a ticket on, even if you are 30 feet away running to the car.

I would be curious in seeing how many of you call red-light cameras "revenue enhancers" or some violation of rights, or are against speeding tickets at the bottom of hills, or citations from a hidden officer.

I have said this repeatedly, but this argument is truly false. The meter person, does not KNOW the time left on meters. They can only know if it has expired, because it's quite possible to park in a space that has time remaining from the previous parked car. So yes, their JOB is to monitor cars parked in expired meters, how do they accomplish that, well by systematically monitor cars in expired meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Park Atlanta most definitely engages in predatory ticketing. Here's one example:

A driveway to a small parking lot is fenced off for a year to build Inman Quarter. The No Parking sign near the driveway still exists, but serves no purpose since the parking lot and its entrance have been demolished. Therefore, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to park by the curb where there used to be a driveway. But Park Atlanta still issued tickets there.
This is the major issue with Park Atlanta, ticketing non metered parking spaces. I have heard these horror stories, and it's impossible to defend. I also witnessed it on the Highland ave bridge, but the arguments about aggressive meter ticketing is ridiculous.

Old 05-20-2016, 08:29 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,578,681 times
If the meter person generated a ticket before the meter actually expired [even if by seconds], is there any way to prove that there was no violation?

Old 05-20-2016, 09:04 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,996,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

Report the issue to DPW, they will make the decision if the sign should be removed or not. It is not up to a citizen to decide which laws to follow and which to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta