Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 10:35 AM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,934,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Until these soul-sucking, suburban-minded, elected officials have their say
Bob Ott:
BRT to a forced transfer? Hardly an earth-shattering improvement. Especially along I-20. Minimal ridership. At least the I-75 one is a situation that would require many miles to extend MARTA. LRT has the same issue as BRT with the forced transfer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 12:33 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,903,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
BRT to a forced transfer? Hardly an earth-shattering improvement. Especially along I-20. Minimal ridership. At least the I-75 one is a situation that would require many miles to extend MARTA. LRT has the same issue as BRT with the forced transfer.
Not if the BRT service uses the existing and hopefully future HOT lanes on I-75 between I-285 and Arts Center Station.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:56 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,934,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Not if the BRT service uses the existing and hopefully future HOT lanes on I-75 between I-285 and Arts Center Station.
I'm saying an extension of HRT into Cobb would require many miles. While that would eliminate the forced transfer, it would be very expensive. BRT or LRT to Arts Center requires a transfer to go to downtown or Buckhead.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:54 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,281,778 times
Even the old HRT NW line plan would have had a forced transfer if you wanted to go anywhere north of Arts Center. So I don't think having the one required mode transfer at Arts Center is such a big deal. Especially when Arts Center gets those new proposed towers and becomes even more of a huge destination spot in itself. The density has been booming around there.

I mean even a Cobb commuter rail would have one transfer required at Five Points, unless you are going to something in walking distance of the Five Points area.

BRT from Arts Center to the Galleria/Braves area just seems like an easy win to me, in terms of low cost and time to implement, but just needs to be done right. What I envision is a like a bi-articulated, very high capacity bus that resembles a light rail and looks good, and runs very frequently like a rail line would.

First let's get the HOV lanes converted to Peach Pass. That's an easy win.

Ideally from Arts Center station on 15th St the BRT could use a new access point from 15th directly into the managed lane system. But even if it has to go across 17th to Northside Dr, at least from there it can access the managed lane.

Just needs to be done right all the way. Transit signal priority, a good station point, easy bus loop, bus-only lanes where it has to navigate on surface streets, and the works.

That would be at least something. Not a rail line, but better than just the bus service that exists. Main thing is need a proper transit station at the Galleria area, and park&ride would be great.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:08 PM

6,574 posts, read 12,086,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Even the old HRT NW line plan would have had a forced transfer if you wanted to go anywhere north of Arts Center. So I don't think having the one required mode transfer at Arts Center is such a big deal. Especially when Arts Center gets those new proposed towers and becomes even more of a huge destination spot in itself. The density has been booming around there.

I mean even a Cobb commuter rail would have one transfer required at Five Points, unless you are going to something in walking distance of the Five Points area.

BRT from Arts Center to the Galleria/Braves area just seems like an easy win to me, in terms of low cost and time to implement, but just needs to be done right. What I envision is a like a bi-articulated, very high capacity bus that resembles a light rail and looks good, and runs very frequently like a rail line would.

Ideally from Arts Center station on 15th St the BRT could use a new access point from 15th directly into the managed lane system. But even if it has to go across 17th to Northside Dr, at least from there it can access the managed lane.

Just needs to be done right all the way. Transit signal priority, a good station point, easy bus loop, bus-only lanes where it has to navigate on surface streets, and the works.

That would be at least something. Not a rail line, but better than just the bus service that exists. Main thing is need a proper transit station at the Galleria area, and park&ride would be great.
Yeah, aren't there already plans for a Northside Drive BRT? They can continue it up Cobb Pkwy since it is the same road (Hwy 41). Meanwhile in the near future (maybe later this year), Cobblinc is supposed to be implementing route 10X. Even though it's not a true BRT line, it will run on the express lane from Big Shanty (TC Park & Ride) to Roswell Road, stop at KSU Marietta campus, and then make limited stops on Cobb Parkway (mainly The Battery and Cumberland Transfer Center) and then take I-75 to Arts Center Station.

https://www.cobbcounty.org/transport...vice-route-10x

Old 07-22-2019, 05:20 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,891,306 times
Cobb Parkway BRT should be such a no-brainer and needs to happen ASAP.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:30 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,281,778 times
I'm dreaming real big on this one, but what I really, really wish they would do is take the planned MARTA Clifton Corridor Light Rail (should be called the Purple Line) underground at Lindbergh, run it in deep bored tunnel under Garden Hills curving to the left, then an underground station near Peachtree @ Pharr for the Buckhead Village dense node area/ w ART bus connections there, then it emerges at the surface right around where Northside Pkwy splits off from Northside Dr:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8393.../data=!3m1!1e3

Then it would just run in the median of Northside Pkwy/Cobb Pkwy all the way out to the Big Chicken, with nice covered stations at all the key spots along there. And lots of park & ride especially at the end stations.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,903,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I'm saying an extension of HRT into Cobb would require many miles. While that would eliminate the forced transfer, it would be very expensive. BRT or LRT to Arts Center requires a transfer to go to downtown or Buckhead.
A Cobb Pkwy BRT could also link with I-285 Express Lanes and service Perimeter Center to Tucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post

Sounds like an ideal transit for The ATL to take the lead on and make it's marquee project. Connecting Metro Atlanta together, using flexible BRT and SRTA's Express Lanes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Yeah, aren't there already plans for a Northside Drive BRT? They can continue it up Cobb Pkwy since it is the same road (Hwy 41). Meanwhile in the near future (maybe later this year), Cobblinc is supposed to be implementing route 10X. Even though it's not a true BRT line, it will run on the express lane from Big Shanty (TC Park & Ride) to Roswell Road, stop at KSU Marietta campus, and then make limited stops on Cobb Parkway (mainly The Battery and Cumberland Transfer Center) and then take I-75 to Arts Center Station.

https://www.cobbcounty.org/transport...vice-route-10x
More MARTA Atlanta's Northside Dr BRT ends at NW BeltLine corridor.
Attached Thumbnails
Cobb Pkwy BRT line included in Cobb County's Comprehensive Plan-capture.jpg  

Old 07-23-2019, 02:58 PM

410 posts, read 433,334 times
ART"Arterial rapid transit" https://youtu.be/Ge129t-R_74

Old 07-23-2019, 05:39 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,409,945 times
Honestly anything bus related doesn't move my interest at all and im dead center in the traffic. I'd rather drive than be bothered with a bus. I'm going to guess most out here feel the same considering the ridership on the CCT is trash. Or the Cobb Linc or whatever they call it now. Wake me up when there's some kinda rail line to Cumberland where I don't have to bother with bus transfers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta