Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 11:56 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,146,402 times

Advertisements

I have a Unlimited home internet 6MB plan and constantly get 1-2MB of service and im .1 miles from the tower. I call them and go through the usual garbage trouble shooting and hear their scripted responses of the tower, its where my box is located, etc of why something is wrong. I will go back to 4-6 MB for a short while before its back to above dialup speeds. And to make things worse they are going to raise customers bills $5-$10 a month for the crappy service them provide.

Is there anyone who actually gets good service from ClearWire?

Are there more reliable alternates for $40-$55 a month from Comcast, ATT, or anyone I have not listed that anyone here would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 12:06 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,018,243 times
I'm also on the 6MB plan, when I Test the speed it varies from 4MB-10MB

I can hit 3 tower (two are 5 bars, 1 is 2 bars).

I did put my modem up on the 2nd floor of my house (nice straight shot @ the towers) , was getting 3 bars in my home office on 1st floor in the back (away) from the towers.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:19 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,994,177 times
I used them in early 2012 for a while. Never again.

From the sounds of it, OP, you're getting throttled. Clear is rumored to have a really low maximum usage, and your speed hits the floor if you overuse. If you call them during the trial period they'll speed it up temporarily until you hit the limit.

Basically, their advertising seems blatantly misleading. "Unlimited streaming"...until you're throttled and can't stream HD anymore.

If you just use general internet and stuff, Clear is probably fine. If you're watching HD Netflix and stuff (who isn't?), then you need a land-based connection, unfortunately.

This is all based on research I did two years ago when I was in a state of rage over those jokers. Perhaps things have changed. But your experience sounds just like mine: satisfied for about two days, then calling them up over and over again.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 PM

106 posts, read 155,816 times
I thought about trying them but everybody told me not to

Old 03-07-2014, 12:25 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,018,243 times
Clear itself went went "Bankrupt" Sprint who owns the frequencies that that they were renting (and was a partner), took them over, and is part of Spring now.

I have Unlimited, and Stream HD movies all the time without a issue.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM

840 posts, read 2,088,052 times
I hate clear internet it was so bad once we had to sit the clear modem outside of the house in a zip-loc bag cause we could not get a signal into the house anywhere.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:01 PM

106 posts, read 155,816 times
Clear.."stay clear away from Clear"

Old 03-07-2014, 01:03 PM

143 posts, read 242,671 times
I using Comcast Economy Plus now. The plan is 6Mbps. Comcast does, however, have a 300GB limit. But my household has never hit the limit even though we download movies and stream Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon...check out your own usage with Clear and see if you use more than 300GB a month. If not, consider Comcast, I'm paying $29.99 per month for my plan.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I'm also on the 6MB plan, when I Test the speed it varies from 4MB-10MB

I can hit 3 tower (two are 5 bars, 1 is 2 bars).

I did put my modem up on the 2nd floor of my house (nice straight shot @ the towers) , was getting 3 bars in my home office on 1st floor in the back (away) from the towers.
They even told me the tower was realigned so there is nothing they can do 2 months ago. All of a sudden I just they re realigned the tower and I can get 4-5 bars again.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I used them in early 2012 for a while. Never again.

From the sounds of it, OP, you're getting throttled. Clear is rumored to have a really low maximum usage, and your speed hits the floor if you overuse. If you call them during the trial period they'll speed it up temporarily until you hit the limit.

Basically, their advertising seems blatantly misleading. "Unlimited streaming"...until you're throttled and can't stream HD anymore.

If you just use general internet and stuff, Clear is probably fine. If you're watching HD Netflix and stuff (who isn't?), then you need a land-based connection, unfortunately.

This is all based on research I did two years ago when I was in a state of rage over those jokers. Perhaps things have changed. But your experience sounds just like mine: satisfied for about two days, then calling them up over and over again.

I only use 10-25GB a month, but Im not sure what their throttling limit is. I know when i got them in 2010 it was about 8GB until they had the class action lawsuit on them and they eased up.

You pretty much need a minimum of 3MB for the internet to be worth paying over $30 a month for and now all of a sudden the clear speed cuts in half when it comes through a wireless router and I didn't have that issue until the last couple of months. Maybe this is why they always tell you to plug it in directly to your PC, making home internet pointless as it will only work on 1 pc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: