Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2014, 03:01 PM

31 posts, read 48,683 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Thinking of moving earlier than expected. son will be entering 10th there.
We are looking at Either Milton or Cambridge.
(I don't see too much about Cambridge online since it's so new)

Can anyone comment on the transition their child made into the Milton High School? good/bad etc.
Were the kids welcoming?

My child is doing ok here, but the social environment has had it's ups and downs. He is willing to make a move with us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 03:08 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Where are you coming from? My kids had a seamless transition into Milton when we moved to the area. I think due to recent area suicides, that, if anything, the school is more aware of making certain that new students feel welcome, and current students are supported.

I do think Milton and Cambridge are equitable in that regard. Cambridge is newer, and the upperclassmen opted to attend, so there are less of them, but for a 10th grader, that won't apply.

The schools on Milton are excellent. If you are concerned about your student, I would reach out to administration, or the guidance office, and alert them. We've found both to be very receptive. We had one entering 10th grade when we moved to FL, and it was rough. I made sure that we didn't repeat our mistakes in GA.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:10 PM

Hi
I did read about that one kid in a Cambridge high. Very sad. There were others??
Happens everywhere.

We are coming from Long Islsnd NY. I've been to alpharetta a few times and think it's very nice. I have no doubt the education is fine. I'm more concerned about social.
My son is a shy kid at first.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,975,978 times
Yes, there were others. I think when you have a higher income neighborhood, there is an element of competition, and the kids aren't always the winners. I responded to your other thread, and told you I regretted putting our 10th grader through that move. But, it was in FL, and we all learned a great deal because of it. Just don't expect the move to be seamless for your son.

What we did find helpful, besides the administration and the guidance office, was to have the coaches and teachers from our previous district send letters of introduction. It still wasn't easy, but I'm not sure what else can be done when a move has to be made.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:16 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,525,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalevine View Post
Hi,
Thinking of moving earlier than expected. son will be entering 10th there.
We are looking at Either Milton or Cambridge.
(I don't see too much about Cambridge online since it's so new)

Can anyone comment on the transition their child made into the Milton High School? good/bad etc.
Were the kids welcoming?

My child is doing ok here, but the social environment has had it's ups and downs. He is willing to make a move with us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalevine View Post
Hi
I did read about that one kid in a Cambridge high. Very sad. There were others??
Happens everywhere.

We are coming from Long Islsnd NY. I've been to alpharetta a few times and think it's very nice. I have no doubt the education is fine. I'm more concerned about social.
My son is a shy kid at first.
If you're moving into North Fulton County and looking for a school with a good social environment, may I suggest that you add the Chattahoochee High School attendance zone to your search?

There was just a thread up the other way on the comparisons and differences to Chattahoochee and Northview high schools in North Fulton County (with Chattahoochee having a reputation for being a much more socially well-rounded school that makes an effort to provide a socially-inclusive atmosphere and Northview being more focused narrowly on maximizing academic aptitude).

If you're concerned about your son's shyness potentially being a challenge for him, Chattahoochee HS (with its reputation of fostering a family-like atmosphere of social inclusion along with an excellent academic curriculum) might be an excellent place to look along with other academically-proficient North Fulton County schools like Milton and Cambridge.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:13 PM

Yes I have that thread. Thank you. I am taking that into consideration as well. It's going to be difficult to pack and move quickly. But this is a voluntary decision to basically move my son to better surroundings. He is just having a difficult time here and I think it's best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: