Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2007, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,604 times

Advertisements

Hello all. My husband, our twin daughters, and myself are relocating to the new city of Milton in mid September due to my husband's job relocation to Alpharetta. We chose Milton for its affluence and the amount of land you get with the homes there. Our daughters will be entering into the ninth grade this year and will be zoned to Milton High School. I was wondering if the affluence of this area has made all the kids at Milton into close-minded spoiled brats with no concept of the real world. This runs rampant in our present community (on Long Island) and we were really hoping to live in an upscale neighborhood without the snobbish air. Any insight into the culture of this area or of the high school would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 08:47 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,980,616 times
Well, I have boys, not girls, and I've heard there is a difference, but in the 2 years since we've moved into the Milton district, I've been very happy with the school. My boys were made to feel very welcome by everyone. Are the kids spoiled? Probably, it seems most kids are, but the ones I've met are polite and respectful. We've been happy with the curriculum, the stafff, and the safety of the school. It's been our experience that most of the kids socialize out of their homes. There isn't any downtown to speak of where the kids might hang out. The upside is that a parent is almost always present, and a favorite activity this summer has been big bonfires, where a group of kids gets together in somebody's backyard. If your girls play sports they will have a very easy time meeting others. If not, Milton has a ton of clubs for various interests. It's a good time to move, since more than one middle school feeds into Milton your girls won't be the only ones that will be looking to make new friends. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2007, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 7,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Well, I have boys, not girls, and I've heard there is a difference, but in the 2 years since we've moved into the Milton district, I've been very happy with the school. My boys were made to feel very welcome by everyone. Are the kids spoiled? Probably, it seems most kids are, but the ones I've met are polite and respectful. We've been happy with the curriculum, the stafff, and the safety of the school. It's been our experience that most of the kids socialize out of their homes. There isn't any downtown to speak of where the kids might hang out. The upside is that a parent is almost always present, and a favorite activity this summer has been big bonfires, where a group of kids gets together in somebody's backyard. If your girls play sports they will have a very easy time meeting others. If not, Milton has a ton of clubs for various interests. It's a good time to move, since more than one middle school feeds into Milton your girls won't be the only ones that will be looking to make new friends. Good luck!
Thank You so much for the information Mattie. It was very helpful!

Can anyone enlighten me on fun things to do in the Milton/Alpharetta area. Does the area have cultural outlets or would we have to drive into Atlanta for that? I am referring to theatre, fine dining(good casual dining too so long as it's not a chain restaurant), festivals, etc. How are the shopping options in North Fulton? And one more thing, we are Catholic and we figured with it being the new south and all that that would not pose an issue in the least but can someone tell me of any good Catholic churches in the north fulton area?

Any help on these topics as well would be greatly appreciated. We will be living in the new Manor subdivision closer to Forstyh so any good places we could check out there would be appreciated also. Thanks for all the help!!

Old 08-04-2007, 07:10 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,980,616 times
I'm not sure if this would be the closest church to you, but St Thomas Aquinas is on Rucker Rd. It sounds as though your development is near Windward Pky, that's just one long restaurant row! Chains, yes, but other options too. Our favorite place is Sage Woodfire Grill, on Haynes Bridge, but my kids love the Brazilian Steakhouse on Windward. Culture? No, not much, although a new concert venue is in the works. Not too bad a drive to the Gwinnett Center for concerts either. We manage to keep busy here, but do drive into the city for special things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: