Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 PM

7 posts, read 6,928 times

Advertisements

Here goes...
I'm newly divorced looking to move to an area in-town where I'll be living with my two kids (more than half of the week). My kids go to school in the Sandy Springs area of town but I don't really want to live there (for lots of reasons). My question is, how horrible will the commute be 2-3 times a week from in-town or a place like Virginia Highland to Roswell Road in Sandy Springs? I work in midtown so I'll be driving my kids to school early (7 am), then heading to work (7:30 am), then back to school (3 pm), then home (anywhere from 3-5 pm)...so it's a lot of back and forth. Not to mention when it rains...
BUT, I'm willing to make the sacrifice and do the driving to be in a place where I won't feel so lonely as a single person. Especially since I'll have a few days without this commute every week and alternate weekends. Sandy Springs, as nice as it is, doesn't seem like a place for single 40-somethings.
Does anyone do this commute? Am I being ridiculous to even consider it?
My kids are my priority but I also feel like if I'm happy in my home and community, I'll be a happier mom!
Would love anyone's thoughts. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:42 PM

194 posts, read 317,880 times
If you live intown, and take your kids north to school, you'll be going against traffic so that wont be bad. However, your commute back to work, (Midtown), will put you in the thick of the morning commute. Then, back north to pick them up, will be pretty hairy to. Remember, Atlanta's 5'oclock traffic starts at 3pm on a good day.

If you could adjust your schedule a little earlier, say, drop the kids off at 6:30 or so, you might miss the morning rush per say. But the ride to pick 'em up is touch and go at that time of day.

Ever consider Roswell?? Then its a one way shot, early, to drop the kids off on your way to work. Then you can beat the mass exodus from work to pick them up at 3pm and your just a few miles from home.

The key is to stay ahead of the 9to5ers. Sometimes that may be 8to4ers. Morningside might be a good place to consider also. Kinda halfway. I hope you find a good place for yourself and thanks for taking care of your kids. Not many people do that these days.

Take care and good luck.

boo r.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:04 PM

924 posts, read 1,458,312 times
Your commute portion from Sandy Springs to Midtown and the reverse in the afternoon would be pretty terrible. Even driving into town in the afternoons isn't usually good.

I feel like the Perimeter area seems much more conducive for a single person in their 40's than Midtown or Virginia Highlands which is a good bit younger crowd in general.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:00 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,678,064 times
Another vote for the Perimeter area. Lots of 40-something divorced folks around there, for very similar reasons -- lived in the Sandy Springs/Dunwoody suburbs, divorced, trying to stay near the kids. Any chance of the kids moving in with you and going to school in Virginia Highlands next year? From there, you could drop the kids off and even take MARTA in and avoid the crush completely.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:10 AM

7 posts, read 6,928 times
Yes, that is an option to switch schools. But only if they want it.
You know how it is with kids and their friends!
I know perimeter is convenient but it's too sterile for me.
Personally I need to be around a different crowd. And to the poster who said morningside, yes, that's where I would be. My work schedule is very flexible so I can work from home too.

So...I'm looking for anyone to tell me I can do it (any dreamers out there??) or to just suck it up and live in suburbia. For convenience sake...oh the choices we make for our kids!

Old 02-19-2014, 04:51 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,867,732 times
The AMLI apartment complex next to the Perimeter Center Super Target is pretty hoppin' with divorcees. I visited a recently divorced friend there and it was like Melrose Place for 30 and 40 somethings. Just saying that maybe you should take a look. It may not be nearly as "sterile" as you imagine.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:35 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,675,118 times
I agree with the suggestion about perimeter but also wonder about N. Buckhead. I know many singles in your age range that live in that general vacinity. I have to say that I wouldn't think of VAHI or Morningside as a haven for someone in your position. I think of it as a place for families, young professionals and perhaps DINKs.

It sounds like you are setting yourself up for deep frustration and a tremendous amount of time in your car and I think that would wear on you and have the opposite effect you are expecting. (Plus it is a lot of time in the car for the kids when you do have them.)

Old 02-19-2014, 06:00 AM

2,307 posts, read 3,002,226 times
I am going to second the north Buckhead/Chastain area. Sort of splits the difference for you. It really depends how far up Roswell Rd. you have to go for your kids--Sandy Springs is a broad area. I find the drive twice a day bn south Buckhead and my child's school near Chastain Park to be pretty taxing. I go back roads through residential areas--and I am sitting at four-way stops signs for lengthy periods!! :-) You'd be setting yourself up for at least double what I'm doing. It would significantly cut into your work time and your time w/ your kids, let alone your social life. Then add in a surprise trip to pick up a sick kid, the school play or an orthodontics appointment--and you are a full-time taxi driver. Welcome to parenting in the ATL--live as close to your children's school as is humanly possible.

Last edited by AtlJan; 02-19-2014 at 07:09 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,413,999 times
I am under the impression that parents have to send their children to the public school in whose district they live. Perhaps your children are in a private school?

Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,675,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I am under the impression that parents have to send their children to the public school in whose district they live. Perhaps your children are in a private school?
she shares custody. Guessing that the father lives in the district -- if they aren't private.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta