Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 11,767 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I recently accepted a job offer in Atlanta and will be moving very soon. Recent College grad. 23, single male.

1. Budget: 800 - 900
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Condo - Apt
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): car commute
4. Children(public school vs. private): NO
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: mix of two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? hmm not a necessity
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: diverse but flexible

My office is located at the border of Sandy Springs and Cobb/Vinings right off the 285. That said, I have toured the Sandy springs area notably the apt complexes on Roswell Road (Think Edgewater, Canyon Bridge...) and was quite amazed to find stuff that were very appealing as far as pricing like 2 beds for below $900. However, as I am digging through more and more, I am finding reports of that area not being the best when it comes to safety with gates being broken constantly and police raids.. so overall more or less sketchy. I want to know how bad it really is..

I really would like some guidance here..I am also considering the Vinings and visited a few places there already. It is a bit pricier but I feel as though, it is a safer environment just by the gut feeling. The thing is I was really struck by what I could get for below 900 (a 2 Bed in Sandy Springs) and that has been playing with my head a bit tbh. Ideally, a 2 bed is what would like as family will fly in to visit couple times a year and I would want to accommodate them with reasonable comfort.. any input is much appreciated. Gratitude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBSEC View Post
Hey all,

I recently accepted a job offer in Atlanta and will be moving very soon. Recent College grad. 23, single male.

1. Budget: 800 - 900
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Condo - Apt
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): car commute
4. Children(public school vs. private): NO
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: mix of two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? hmm not a necessity
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood: diverse but flexible

My office is located at the border of Sandy Springs and Cobb/Vinings right off the 285. That said, I have toured the Sandy springs area notably the apt complexes on Roswell Road (Think Edgewater, Canyon Bridge...) and was quite amazed to find stuff that were very appealing as far as pricing like 2 beds for below $900. However, as I am digging through more and more, I am finding reports of that area not being the best when it comes to safety with gates being broken constantly and police raids.. so overall more or less sketchy. I want to know how bad it really is..

I really would like some guidance here..I am also considering the Vinings and visited a few places there already. It is a bit pricier but I feel as though, it is a safer environment just by the gut feeling. The thing is I was really struck by what I could get for below 900 (a 2 Bed in Sandy Springs) and that has been playing with my head a bit tbh. Ideally, a 2 bed is what would like as family will fly in to visit couple times a year and I would want to accommodate them with reasonable comfort.. any input is much appreciated. Gratitude
Stick to the apartments in Perimeter Center, lot's more to do in walking distance and MARTA is close. The London is in your price range and I have a friend that stays there. He likes it and has never had issues.
Just remember that gates does not guarantee safety.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:09 AM

7 posts, read 12,184 times
I lived in an apartment off Roswell Rd called Waterford Place in the early 2000's; about 2 miles south of 285 hidden back behind a shopping center. It was pretty nice at the time. If you are looking at anything for under 1000 for a 2 br, you are doing to have some undesirable elements. I can tell most of the apts north of 285 on Roswell rd are sketchy and have a lot of crime. If you are looking in that area, try and get something that is not right on Roswell Rd. I also lived in a condo in Vinings area. Vinings is really nice. There is a Post complex off Log Cabin that my friend lived in that is nice, but I think 1br is like 950/mo. I would suggest you check some of the condo complexes in Vinings for people who are trying to rent out their condo. Try Vinings Central or Vinings View. There are always people who are stuck with condos who want to move. There is one over in the Perimeter area called the Granville that I used to have a friend that lived there and it was nice. Condo complexes tend to have better neighbors. One other thing, the traffic on 285 in the morning is heavier 285 going East.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:54 AM

616 posts, read 1,112,975 times
Not terrible, but they are not upscale by any means. I agree that you should stick to Perimeter Center. If there is one thing Sandy Springs could go back and do differently, it would be letting Roswell Road get out of control.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:02 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,145,453 times
Vinings. Roswell Road Sandy Springs can be a bit hit or miss. Real hard to tell from one complex to the other without moving in and being there for a bit. More certainty with Vinings locs.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:24 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,591,823 times
Usually safer than Atlanta,Perimeter Center is convenient for train,bus and shopping.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:37 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,005 times
These people are telling you to live in Dunwoody as a 23 yr old. Don't listen.

Move your needle, south, not east. And maybe even west into cobb. More folks your age.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:00 PM

5 posts, read 9,454 times
Try the apartments along Trowbridge Rd., off Roswell Rd. They are old, but relatively well maintained. Have lived at both recently and never felt unsafe.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 11,767 times
Thanks a bunch for these wonderful suggestions. I am leaning towards the Vinings as of current, it seems pricier but I guess I can afford to go in the 800<x<900 for a 1 bed if it means safer environment. The hit or miss factor on Roswell Rd just would not work as I absolutely know nothing about Atlanta and really want to get it right

Old 02-10-2014, 09:25 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,179 times
I would definitely look at Perimeter Center as an option (the immediate area around the Perimeter Mall). It has plenty of young people... there's a stigma about it being a corporate apartment haven but that's years out of date. There's been a lot of infill and growth around there, and it has decent entertainment options these days (especially if you count Roswell Road which has some clubs and lounges). Of course it's not a destination but Vinings isn't either. What it does have over Vinings is better walkability and subway access that can get you in town without having to drive. If you go in town a lot you will appreciate that. Driving in town sucks and is insanely expensive.

You're right to avoid Roswell Road. It's pretty sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta