Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 07:04 AM

20 posts, read 46,227 times

Advertisements

I'm a NJ resident that will be relocating to northern Atlanta suburbs. In NJ, there are lists like this that compile and rank high schools. Is there such a list for GA public schools?

My search hasn't turned up anything like that yet. Here's what I've found so far:
Best High Schools in Georgia - GA School Rankings [This is questionable because I didn't see a Fulton county HS in the list] But Fulton county schools appear in this list: Georgia State Cities - GA City School Rankings

Plus the list above is missing SAT scores, AP classes offered, etc.

This list is missing Walton and Northview, so something is amiss here as well:
Search Georgia High Schools | US News

This list is useful but it's based solely on SAT scores:
Georgia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
US News did something different with the ratings this year.

Where is your job, that should help determine where you should live which in turn should determine which high schools are options.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:13 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
SchoolDigger -- eh. I don't know anyone that pays a lot of attention to that. And the fact that SchoolDigger says that Northview doesn't have EOCT tests (End of Class Tests) is just absolutely WRONG. All public schools in Georgia are required to administer End of Class Tests for 10 classes (4 math, and two each in social studies, English and science.)

And frankly, any list that misses Walton AND Northview is also pretty suspect in my book. It may be something as simple as they didn't bother to turn in paperwork, or something like that. The US News tends to go strictly by test scores, etc., so it's no wonder that the "highest" scores on the US News are also the "private public" schools that students must qualify for, apply for and be accepted for.

I'd say that the SAT score list is somewhat reflective of socio-economic standards. Forsyth is near the top, if not THE top, of the list as far as income, etc. -- these are not families that are going to let their kids slack off in school and demand school excellence. The bottom performing are also near the bottom in terms of income, schooling, etc. Also -- look at the top performing schools on the SAT list -- why, there's Walton, Northview, Johns Creek, Milton, Alpharetta . . . etc., etc. The top two, again, are the "private public" schools.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:10 AM

813 posts, read 1,133,545 times
2013 America's Best High Schools - Newsweek
You can sort by state.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
Thanks alpineprince. Pretty much what I was looking for. I was hoping for a GA specific/only list, produced by an entity that's familiar with the state, but this will have to do.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
US News did something different with the ratings this year.

Where is your job, that should help determine where you should live which in turn should determine which high schools are options.
Hello again lastminutemom. You helped with with selecting towns on another thread. We will likely rent in East Cobb, which is the closest to my work location at the Perimeter. But I was curious about GA high schools overall and see where the schools I was considering (Walton, Northview, Milton, Alpharetta) compared statewide.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:11 PM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
I think looking at number of national merit semi-finalists can also help fill in the picture. I just found a brochure for Walton in a pile of papers I was going through and they had 13 in last year's class. Also in that class, FWIW 30% of kids were identified as gifted.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:12 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrog View Post
Thanks alpineprince. Pretty much what I was looking for. I was hoping for a GA specific/only list, produced by an entity that's familiar with the state, but this will have to do.
Georgia Public Policy Commission used to do a great ranking, but for some reason, they haven't done one in the last three years -- the latest one is 2010, so it's getting to be out of date.

If you've already identified several schools you're interested in, then go to the Georgia Department of Education, check the College and Career Ready Performance Index, start looking at hard numbers, and see which ones are in your comfort level:

GADOE CCRPI 6

It doesn't "rank" them, per se, but it does give you a comprehensive look at how the schools do on multiple standards.

Let's face it, the "best" school for your child may not be the "best" school for someone else's child. I'd say that if you had access to any of the top 10 high school feeder systems, you'd be in good shape. It's possible to get too caught up in the numbers -- no school is "perfect".

Old 01-18-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongirl View Post
I think looking at number of national merit semi-finalists can also help fill in the picture. I just found a brochure for Walton in a pile of papers I was going through and they had 13 in last year's class. Also in that class, FWIW 30% of kids were identified as gifted.
Thanks deacongirl. Where can I find more information about Gifted (I HATE that term) & Talented students at Dickerson and Walton?

Old 01-18-2014, 04:21 PM

550 posts, read 989,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrog View Post
Thanks deacongirl. Where can I find more information about Gifted (I HATE that term) & Talented students at Dickerson and Walton?
I agree about the term, but I have forced myself to get comfortable with it in order to advocate for my kids. I don't have time now but will come back--I think the Cobb district gifted person is great (if it is still the same one I dealt with 2 yrs. ago.) Do you have specific questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta