Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 AM

38 posts, read 48,422 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving from NY.
We have 2 kids, one in elementary and the other at home (2 yrs). We are looking for good schools, we are moving from an average school in NY. We are Asians (East Indians to be specific) who are very social and friendly.
We are looking at North Atlanta schools in Fulton County district especially Northview, Gwinnett county schools like Duluth High, Norcross, Peach Tree, Parkview and similar schools that have good rating.

My immediate concerns are follows...
1. Will we be accepted into these schools culturally ? I mean I see about 20% Asian enrollment, but cannot break down this further in where from Asia are the students from ? I am talking about the kids being invited for playdates etc.
2. In my opinion there is a myth that even if these schools are ranked so high, schools in the north are much better. It boggles my mind how can that be true as the facts on paper cannot be disputed, but please tell me that its indeed a myth.
3. Our house budget is $300k-$350k. Will it be enough to swing a decent size 4BR/2Bath house in the feeder zones into these schools ?
4. Neighborhoods - Are people in general friendly or just keep to themselves in these suburbs ? I have heard the better the school district, the more snobbish the people are and keep to themselves etc. This is particularly a concern for us, since we do not know anyone, and we are from a different race etc.

I know these questions are pretty generic if I have to move anywhere else, but I am posting it here to get a feel from the locals.
Appreciate your insights and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:58 AM

125 posts, read 228,086 times
Hi,
1. You will be accepted . You won't have problem
3. Do you want a basement or slab?
4. You can not generalize that all people are snobbish.
Northview has fierce competition because of Chinese & Koreans. Chattahoochee high in Fulton is a good choice. I will also be moving there. Have been living in Atlanta for 15 years. I am also an Indian

Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,646,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desifamily23 View Post
We have 2 kids, one in elementary and the other at home (2 yrs). We are looking for good schools, we are moving from an average school in NY. We are Asians (East Indians to be specific) who are very social and friendly.
We are looking at North Atlanta schools in Fulton County district especially Northview, Gwinnett county schools like Duluth High, Norcross, Peach Tree, Parkview and similar schools that have good rating.

1. Will we be accepted into these schools culturally ? I mean I see about 20% Asian enrollment, but cannot break down this further in where from Asia are the students from ? I am talking about the kids being invited for playdates etc.
2. In my opinion there is a myth that even if these schools are ranked so high, schools in the north are much better. It boggles my mind how can that be true as the facts on paper cannot be disputed, but please tell me that its indeed a myth.
3. Our house budget is $300k-$350k. Will it be enough to swing a decent size 4BR/2Bath house in the feeder zones into these schools ?
4. Neighborhoods - Are people in general friendly or just keep to themselves in these suburbs ? I have heard the better the school district, the more snobbish the people are and keep to themselves etc. This is particularly a concern for us, since we do not know anyone, and we are from a different race etc.

I know these questions are pretty generic if I have to move anywhere else, but I am posting it here to get a feel from the locals.

You will be fine since Atlanta has a decent size Asian community especially on the North side of town (Johns Creek, Duluth, Suwanee).

Start checking out areas in the cities mentioned above.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,224,789 times
There is a HUGE Indian community here. While I'm not Indian, I have lots of Indian friends and I've done lots of cultural events in the Indian community here. I'm a dancer and I've performed at the Hindu Temple of Greater Atlanta, the annual Festival of India, as well as at fundraisers in the Indian community. My daughter as also studied Bharatanatyam in Alpharetta. I bring all that up to say that that there is so much here for you as an East Indian that you have nothing to worry about. I've been very welcomed into the Indian community as a non-Indian and you will have no problem finding your place here as an Indian.

There are lots of Indian groceries, sari shops, salons, temples, Indian dance schools, mosques, and so on that you don't have to worry about feeling out of place culturally.

If your concern isn't about living within the Indian community, you still don't need to worry. There are so many desis here that there's no need for you to feel concerned or out of place.

I would look into Alpharetta, Dunwoody, Suwanee, Duluth and Johns Creek for a start if I were you.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM

16,714 posts, read 29,560,858 times
Quote:

Good questions--and you are already looking in the right direction. Excellent school choices listed so far...all of them.

But I do have one more question before I can help you...

Where will you and/or your spouse be working?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:11 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,669,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Good questions--and you are already looking in the right direction. Excellent school choices listed so far...all of them.

this is the most important question....

Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM

Thanks for everyone's replies, its very encouraging. Is 300-350k for a house enough in those towns ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanhi View Post
Hi,
3. Do you want a basement or slab?
Basement is not mandatory, but its preferred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
this is the most important question....
It looks like Alpharetta, I hope its not downtown.
If it does turn out to be downtown, is it more than a hour's commute one way from up north ?

Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 AM

125 posts, read 228,086 times
You will be able to find a house in 300-350k in Alpharetta without basement easily.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanhi View Post
You will be able to find a house in 300-350k in Alpharetta without basement easily.
Hi,
Alpharetta is where I might be working, but I would be looking for houses in the feeder zones for the schools, so probably Johns Creek, Duluth or possibly Marietta.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Alpharetta is where I might be working, but I would be looking for houses in the feeder zones for the schools, so probably Johns Creek, Duluth or possibly Marietta.
Is Alpharetta High also good ? Then I guess I can look into homes there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta