Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 08:04 AM

113 posts, read 182,124 times

Advertisements

I'm under the impression that this intersection for marketing will be more important as areas the areas around Peachtree Center regain life. This includes the gulch, underground, the government areas in the south part of downtown, auburn avenue, and the areas around the civic center and civic center station. Peachtree St. (Downtown) will once again be the place to be or at least the place next to every other place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM

32,079 posts, read 37,120,029 times
I have always like marquee signs but I don't know whether they are allowed under SPI-1.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,400,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think that's the confluence of Peachtree and Baker Streets. The Candler Building is behind the Coca-Cola sign.
Peachtree and Forsyth are the two roads. For reference, to the far right, just out of frame, is where the Downtown library is located.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:55 AM

One thing that catches my eye in these photos is that our streets are pretty narrow.

I wish we had a few "grand boulevard" type streets in our city.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 PM

7,585 posts, read 10,871,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
One thing that catches my eye in these photos is that our streets are pretty narrow.

I get jealous of New Orleans' Canal St and St Charles Ave.

The closest we have is a few blocks of Marietta St. and in many respects 17th st is a new modern grand Blvd.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM

I have always like Monument Ave in Richmond.

As car-oriented as we are you'd think our town might have a few grand boulevards, but I guess nobody ever got around to it.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:02 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,940,194 times
Quote:

i think it's cool— it really makes us more suitable for urban development and separates us from the other sunbelt cities that don't have that same infrastructure setup. houston, for example, has nothing but "grand boulevards" and it makes it not too walkable.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i think it's cool— it really makes us more suitable for urban development and separates us from the other sunbelt cities that don't have that same infrastructure setup. houston, for example, has nothing but "grand boulevards" and it makes it not too walkable.
Well, there's no reason grand boulevards can't be very walkable. You'll find them in many very pedestrian friendly areas in cities all over the world.

And I certainly didn't suggest that that's all we have. But a few would be nice!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,940,194 times
Quote:
Well, there's no reason grand boulevards can't be very walkable. You'll find them in many very pedestrian friendly areas in cities all over the world.

And I certainly didn't suggest that that's all we have. But a few would be nice!
i think i see what you're going for now; i didn't before. i think the only reason we don't have any 'grand boulevard' is that there isn't enough urban development along any suitable roads that would make it *look* like a grand boulevard. west peachtree and spring, for example, are very wide across, but the development on both sides doesn't make for a pedestrian-like atmosphere. boulevard (the street) itself would make for a great 'boulevard'; the only problem is that the development is not very pedestrian oriented, despite being relatively high density.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:45 AM

7,585 posts, read 10,871,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i think i see what you're going for now; i didn't before. i think the only reason we don't have any 'grand boulevard' is that there isn't enough urban development along any suitable roads that would make it *look* like a grand boulevard. west peachtree and spring, for example, are very wide across, but the development on both sides doesn't make for a pedestrian-like atmosphere. boulevard (the street) itself would make for a great 'boulevard'; the only problem is that the development is not very pedestrian oriented, despite being relatively high density.
There might be a real relationship here.

One of the thing about older cities and grand boulevards (especially places with a French influence) is there often isn't alot open spaces in pre-car era cities and sometimes limited amounts of parks.

In an odd sense Grand Boulevards in many older cities often function as secondary parks, open space, semi-plazas/public event spaces.

When our primary street, Peachtree, was built going north into Midtown there were large homes right on it with front lawns. At the time no one would have thought the street needed more green space or needed to be wider.

Then as time goes on and we allow new denser development to come in to the sidewalk edge there is no room to make a boulevard and it stays narrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: