Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,565,829 times

Advertisements

I had to move out of Georgia all together. Although my son was in good elementary school, I started to worry when he was entering six grade. The middle schools in Atlanta were very, VERY crowded. My other 2 kids had bad experiences in middle and high school. They attended school in Cobb county. The teachers were piling homework on them and when they needed my help I could barely understand it myself.

Why cant teachers that stick to the basics...adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing. I mean that is what we use in everyday life, right?

Please don't let me discourage you I just know what its like when you want your child in a good school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 12:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,897,314 times
My middle schooler goes to a charter school so one would have to get on a wait list (I think it is 3-4 years long now). But I LOVE my son's school. I have a 5 year old who is a Sept birthday so didn't get to go to kindergarten this year so is in pre-k but she will go to my son's school next year because they have a policy where siblings automatically get in.

I have heard of the "packets." I do think for math practice they are useful but should include a review in class and actual teaching of the skills inside of the packets.

Our school has extremely low class sizes so I am very satisfied. The teachers and administrators love my son. The vice principal was his teacher for 3 consecutive years until she was promoted to the vice principal position. He has had a great educational experience since he started going to his current school and I am anticipating the same for my daughter and am excited about her going there next year.

I also have a knack for "helping" with homework, especially math and writing myself so that portion is not troubling for me - doing packets and such, especially since my son usually is taught the skills, he might just get frustrated at his work. I also am more of a hands off parent in regards to homework in general since I see homework as something for the kid to complete. My son will ask me to help explain a math concept in particular as I can break it down more easily for him using my "old school" way of doing math versus the "new math" methods they teach now, which can be confusing IMO. My kid is simple minded like me about math, tell him a simple way and he'll get it immediately so I do offer one or two explanations for him on stuff he is stuck on, more recently it was exponents and radicals (which I love to figure out).

But I agree with other posters that teacher quality can vary. The thing I love most about my son's school (we are in APS in a city of Atlanta charter) is that they "block" where the teacher teaches the same group of kids for 2-3 years. I felt they really did get to "know" my kid and it has been very beneficial for him. He is in 6th grade this year and so has new teachers this year (he had the same ones from 3-5) and they have all been very good so far, especially his math teacher who is much tougher on him than his previous math teacher.

We will more than likely move from GA period when my son is in 8th grade. I don't like the selection of high schools in Atlanta, don't like living in suburbs in Atlanta due to the sprawl, and don't have the money to afford a good private school without at least a 90% scholarship, which could probably happen but I feel that it is a long shot and I don't want to stress my kid out about school. So we are planning on moving back to my hometown where there are regular high schools with good teachers and school choice, where you can move wherever you want and have you kid go to whatever school you want more easily than you can here.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:05 PM

10,741 posts, read 13,484,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I would Rank them as:
1st Lambert
2nd South / West (tie)
3rd FCHS / North (tie)

Educational Leadership / 2014-15 Redistricting
Agreed.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:21 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,090,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNIEANDDONNA417 View Post
I had to move out of Georgia all together. Although my son was in good elementary school, I started to worry when he was entering six grade. The middle schools in Atlanta were very, VERY crowded. My other 2 kids had bad experiences in middle and high school. They attended school in Cobb county. The teachers were piling homework on them and when they needed my help I could barely understand it myself.

Why cant teachers that stick to the basics...adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing. I mean that is what we use in everyday life, right?

Please don't let me discourage you I just know what its like when you want your child in a good school.
I don't understand this post. Parents who want high achieving children expect they will be taught far beyond the "basics". I admit, my own three reached levels of homework past my capabilities to help, but not past their capabilities.

Give me a school with opportunity to push the boundaries. We chose our area of North Fulton (Milton), based on the dual enrollment program with GA Tech.

Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM

125 posts, read 228,944 times
Mattie I have heard about the dual enrollment program. Are your kids into that program yet? I would be so much thankful if you can explain me this concept of dual enrollment in detail. Thanks a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: