Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAWjr View Post
But I think you are taking the OP's post too literal. He is not trying to find an exact duplicate of Morningside. Instead, they want an area with that feel. You can no more duplicate Morningside than you can duplicate the French Quarter in New Orleans. You can try, but it will never be the exact same. However, you can get very close to the same feeling & the areas that have been proposed (Smyrna/Marietta) meet that feel requirement, despite your argument that they are not identical.

The OP recognizes that they want Morningside, but can't get Morningside. They are looking for the next best thing in the NW part of the metro area.
Said what I wanted to say. My fingers and keyboard thank you for the rest they will get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 10:22 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
But I think you are taking the OP's post too literal. He is not trying to find an exact duplicate of Morningside. Instead, they want an area with that feel. You can no more duplicate Morningside than you can duplicate the French Quarter in New Orleans. You can try, but it will never be the exact same. However, you can get very close to the same feeling & the areas that have been proposed (Smyrna/Marietta) meet that feel requirement, despite your argument that they are not identical.

The OP recognizes that they want Morningside, but can't get Morningside. They are looking for the next best thing in the NW part of the metro area.
No, we're not taking the OP's post too literal, we're just commenting on how great of an area Morningside is and how almost anything that the OP finds outside of I-285 will initially pale in comparison to what they have now.

Though, there is no denying that areas like Smyrna and Marietta are headed in a positive direction over the long-term, while an area like Downtown Roswell is already there and continues to move forward at an advanced level.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:48 AM

246 posts, read 374,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
No, we're not taking the OP's post too literal, we're just commenting on how great of an area Morningside is and how almost anything that the OP finds outside of I-285 will initially pale in comparison to what they have now.
And the OP is well aware of that, but has stated that living there is not ideal & the NW area of the city is. So continuing to raise the flag for Morningside is not serving the OP's question. I'm sure they would live there if they could or if it was ideal for their commute.

Quote:
I work near Smyrna, and would prefer not to have a commute over 30 minutes. I like the Morningside/Lenox Park neighborhood, the small-town feeling, the tree lined streets, the eclectic homes. Is there a suburb that has that same feel, maybe in Vinings, Smyrna, Marietta, East Cobb, or Roswell? Price range $200-$400k, married, no kids, interested in activities/ nightlife nearby. I don't want to end up in a cookie-cutter house in an area that just has strip malls, chain stores, etc. Essentially looking for neighborhood in a suburb that has character. Thanks!

Old 10-02-2013, 11:53 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,918,229 times
I still suggest Jefferson Park in East Point or College Avenue in College Park ...

Old 10-02-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
And the OP is well aware of that, but has stated that living there is not ideal & the NW area of the city is. So continuing to raise the flag for Morningside is not serving the OP's question. I'm sure they would live there if they could or if it was ideal for their commute.
With the recommendations of such areas as Smyrna, Marietta and Vinings, the OP's question has been adequately answered and served.

The rest of the conversation has just basically been complements and positive comments about the good quality-of-life that is found in the Lenox/Morningside area, something which speaks very well about the Morningside neighborhood, and something that the OP is already very aware of.

The OP will likely find a good quality-of-life whenever they ultimately decide to live, it's just that it will be a quality-of-life that will be good in its own unique way.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:58 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,033,929 times
It would probably help all of us who are trying to answer the question (and debating the meaning of it) if there were clarification as to what 'feel' the OP meant?

The feeling of community? Size of the neighborhood? Aesthetic of the architecture? Geographic proximity to amenities? Ethnic/financial/social demographic? Culture/history of the area, or some other intangible?

Old 10-02-2013, 06:41 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The two elementary schools, Westside and AL Burruss are highly regarded. Marietta Middle is in the heart of the community in the old Marietta High building and the newer Marietta High is a state of the art facility built on the edge of the western side. The demographics of the whole of the city of Marietta will rate it below some of the higher regarded schools in nearby East Cobb, but I would have no problem whatsover if my kids went thru this system.

Calling on Aries to add his/her two cents. Aries is the school knowledge guru for the Atlanta forum.
To the OP:

1. The Marietta City Schools are an excellent choice.

2. You can get a fabulous traditional public education in the Marietta City Schools, K-12. Burruss Elementary and West Side Elementary are the best options for the traditional public elementary route. There are seven traditional elementary schools and one advanced academics elementary school (Grades 3-5). All students attend Marietta Sixth Grade Academy, Marietta Middle School (Grades 7-8), and Marietta High School (Grades 9-12).

3. The Marietta Square area is a fantastic place to live and raise a family!

4. The reason that the Marietta City School System's scores may seem only "OK" when compared to East Cobb, is because Marietta City serves a diverse socioeconomic population consisting of upper, upper-middle, middle, lower-middle, and working class families--with a fair distribution of White, Black, and Hispanic/Latino students. An ideal environment to raise a family in my opinion.

5. Moreover, for such a small system, Marietta City has a plethora of educational options and educational programs:

a. Elementary Choice Academies--
Marietta City Schools: Programs: Choice Academies
*My top recommendations would be the programs at Sawyer Road, Hickory Hills, and West Side.

b. STEM Magnet Program--
Marietta City Schools: Programs: Magnet Programs
*For Grades 3-8

c. Marietta Center for Advanced Academics
Marietta Center for Advanced Academics - Index
*For Grades 3-5

d. International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP)
http://sawyerroad.marietta-city.org/site/default.aspx?PageID=68
http://sawyerroad.marietta-city.org/Page/817
http://sawyerroad.marietta-city.org/Page/1224
*At Sawyer Road Elementary

d. Internatonal Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB MYP)
Marietta City Schools: Programs: IB Middle Years Program
*At Marietta 6th Grade Academy and Marietta Middle School

d. International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB Diploma)
http://mhs.marietta-city.org/Page/815
*At Marietta High School

6. You can live anywhere in the Marietta City School District and still take part in any of the options listed in #5 above.

7. Again, the City of Marietta is a great place to live and raise a family long-term. The school system is excellent. The neighborhoods are beautiful and pedestrian-friendly. Definitely give it a serious look.

8. Here is some other helpful information:

~Community/Relocation Information
Marietta City Schools: Community: A Great Place To Live

~Gifted Education
Marietta City Schools - Programs - Gifted Student Services

~Attendance Zone Map
http://www.marietta-city.org/files/d...nceZoneMap.pdf

~West Side Elementary
West Side Elementary - Index

~Burruss Elementary
A. L. Burruss Elementary - Index

~Marietta Sixth Grade Academy
Marietta Sixth Grade Academy - Index

~Marietta Middle School
Marietta Middle School - Index

~Marietta High School
Marietta High School - Index

~Interactive School "Roadmap" (pretty cool!)
Marietta City Schools Road Map

~Fact Sheet
Marietta City Schools: About Us: Fact Sheet

~General Information
Marietta City Schools: About Us: Our Mission

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited by aries4118; 10-02-2013 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 02:11 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Aries, once again you prove yourself to be the most valuable poster on all of C-D. Great stuff. Hope it helps too.

One thing I love about the city of Marietta, it reminds me of a small southern city outside of a major metro area... the complete diversity of economic groups is represented. One thing about suburban areas that are rather homogeneous, they have the propensity for sudden change one way or the other. Marietta seems to remain steady in that it has a little of everything, yet is solidly in the midst of the metro area. Some won't like it because it isn't homogeneous but that's why I like it.

Old 10-03-2013, 06:20 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:

One thing I love about the city of Marietta, it reminds me of a small southern city outside of a major metro area... the complete diversity of economic groups is represented. One thing about suburban areas that are rather homogeneous, they have the propensity for sudden change one way or the other. Marietta seems to remain steady in that it has a little of everything, yet is solidly in the midst of the metro area. Some won't like it because it isn't homogeneous but that's why I like it.

^^^^^^
This.

(and thanks, Brother-Marks...)

Old 10-04-2013, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Aries, once again you prove yourself to be the most valuable poster on all of C-D. Great stuff. Hope it helps too.
I agree...Aries gave a very informative response (as Aries always does) with lots of very-valuable information that the OP and other concerned readers can use....something that ideally most, if not all, City-Data.com posters should at least aspire to do seeing as though C-D.com is supposed to be a place where people come to get valuable information about cities (and other geographical areas) that they may not necessarily know very much about.

Quote:
Excellent comments about the City of Marietta all the way around, particularly your earlier comments about the Marietta City Schools system being (vastly) underrated in comparison to the schools in East Cobb because of the demographics of the Marietta City Schools system.

Despite not having test scores that may be as high as the schools in East Cobb...Marietta City Schools is an excellent school system that does a heck-of-a-lot (works wonders) with the hand that it has been dealt with the very-high transient population that lives in the very-large amount of lower-priced multi-family housing (aging apartments and townhomes) within the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta