Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 AM

3 posts, read 5,003 times

Advertisements

I work near Smyrna, and would prefer not to have a commute over 30 minutes. I like the Morningside/Lenox Park neighborhood, the small-town feeling, the tree lined streets, the eclectic homes. Is there a suburb that has that same feel, maybe in Vinings, Smyrna, Marietta, East Cobb, or Roswell? Price range $200-$400k, married, no kids, interested in activities/ nightlife nearby. I don't want to end up in a cookie-cutter house in an area that just has strip malls, chain stores, etc. Essentially looking for neighborhood in a suburb that has character. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 01:07 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,521,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snclrlws View Post
I work near Smyrna, and would prefer not to have a commute over 30 minutes. I like the Morningside/Lenox Park neighborhood, the small-town feeling, the tree lined streets, the eclectic homes. Is there a suburb that has that same feel, maybe in Vinings, Smyrna, Marietta, East Cobb, or Roswell? Price range $200-$400k, married, no kids, interested in activities/ nightlife nearby. I don't want to end up in a cookie-cutter house in an area that just has strip malls, chain stores, etc. Essentially looking for neighborhood in a suburb that has character. Thanks!
You're not going to be able to find the same exact small-town feel within an urban setting that an area like Morningside/Lenox Park provides.

But you may be able to find something that is somewhat reminiscent of what you have in Morningside/Lenox Park inside of the City of Marietta in the historic and mature neighborhoods that immediately surround Downtown Marietta and are only a "stone's throw" away from the historic Marietta Square at Glover Park, an area that is the site of many community gatherings and events (concerts, festivals, etc).
The Marietta Welcome Center - Home - Home

Events On The Square - The Historic Marietta Square District of Marietta, Georgia

Historic Downtown Marietta, Georgia

The areas close to and immediately near downtown Smyrna are also a good place to look in an area with a small-town feel of sorts as Downtown Smyrna is an area that has recently been reconstituted into an urban/post-suburban village with much potential over the long-term.
Smyrna Market Village - Smyrna Vinings Shopping, Smyrna Shopping, Vinings Shopping | Smyrna Vinings Homes, Neighborhoods, Restaurants, Shopping, Events - SmyrnaVinings.com

You can also look around in the area within and immediately south of historic Vinings village (a formerly rural village area that dates back to the 1830's and played a key role in the Civil War that is centered on the intersection of Paces Ferry and Paces Mill roads) which has what you are looking for in terms of eclectic homes and tree-lined streets in an area with a small-town, village-like feel.
Vinings Jubilee | Atlanta : Shopping & Dining, heart of Vinings Village

Vinings.com | Vinings Georgia's Online Magazine And City Guide

East Cobb is a very-nice suburban area with great homes (and stellar, out-of-this-world public schools) in a heavily-wooded area with lots of mature trees.

But East Cobb does not necessarily have the type of small-town feel that you are looking for as East Cobb is a relatively expansive area that is centered on two areas of sprawling automobile-oriented big-box development at GA 120 Roswell and Johnson Ferry Roads, and Sandy Springs and Shallowford roads.

Roswell, with its popular historic downtown village area full of shops, restaurants and bars, also has the type of small-town, tree-lined streets vibe that you are looking for in the suburbs.

The major problem with Roswell is that the length of the commute between Roswell and Smyrna would potentially be in the neighborhood of the 30-minute mark (or more, particularly during rush hour) that you seem to be trying to get away from.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:25 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,871,632 times
Born 2 Roll has already mentioned the best example, the areas north and west of the Marietta Square. It is like a micro version of Druid Hills/ Morningside/ Buckhead.

Another great one in Cobb County would be too far for a close commute to Smyrna, but I love the old part of Acworth between Main Street and Lake Acworth.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:06 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,944,812 times
I think you'll find the same type neighborhoods in both College Park and East Point, which are reasonable commutes to Smyrna.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:16 AM

145 posts, read 361,693 times
How many bedrooms and baths do you need? What are your other criteria, besides the price? I might have an idea for you.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:49 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,037,785 times
Quote:
Nothing like it exists OTP that I have been able to find. I moved from Morningside last month after living there for just over a year. My wife and I were heartbroken to have to go (our rental got put on the market), but staying would have meant paying out the eyeballs for rent since we don't have enough money to buy.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:19 AM

3 posts, read 5,003 times
I'm looking for 3-4 bedrooms, 2-3 bathrooms, preferably with a basement. No other significant criteria. Thanks!

Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,998,810 times
I am not sure about the pricing in these areas, but I would say the area of Smyrna behind the Market Village would fit the vibe you are going for. The houses are a mix of older small ranches and new construction (some really cool craftman style cluster homes--love them!). Or around downtown Marietta. Both provide a walkable town-center. Vinings may have a townhome in your budget close enough to walk to Vinings Jubilee--maybe on Paces Mill Rd. Are you set on a free-standing single family home?

Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 AM

246 posts, read 375,065 times
Quote:
I'm looking for 3-4 bedrooms, 2-3 bathrooms, preferably with a basement. No other significant criteria. Thanks!
You can find something that size at the top end of your $200-400 price range, but you will be hard pressed to find anything at the bottom end that wouldn't require significant work. To get in that lower end price range, you have to go farther out & the farther you get form 285, the less likely you are to find anything resembling that in-town feel.

I live in one of those cookie cutter neighborhoods in Smyrna off Atlanta Rd. I know what you are looking for, but as many have said, you can't duplicate Morningside in the suburbs. Smyrna is pretty close though. While it has its share of chain stores, it also has a ton of new small businesses that are unique exclusively to Smyrna. As B2R said, check out the area directly around Downtown Smyrna. There are lots of older homes, but many are 70s style ranches. You can find a nice Morningside-esque 1940s bungalow with a porch here & there, but those neighborhoods are also subject to infill with one off McMansions popping up next door.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:44 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,037,785 times
With all due respect to the posters on this thread, the memorable houses in Lenox Park Morningside are very much NOT the 1950's ranch homes. Especially in light of the fact that Virginia Highland has waaaaay more of that type of inventory.

It is the large plot, tree-heavy, multi-level houses with styled (for lack of a better word) architecture or facades that make people take notice.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of the (typically) smaller ranches on Courtenay or Amsterdam, et. al... but the bigger homes are much of what set Morningside apart from Va Highland, Briarcliff, or even midtown.

Can you tell that I miss living in that location? ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta