Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 05:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,808,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
In reply to my own post , I have something else to add. It isn't just the name calling and people flying rebel flags and scribbling swastikas on the bathroom walls. There is racial prejudice all the way up into to the levels of academia. I am talking among the students. It isn't just some ignorant student who laughs at his own ignorance. It is some of the women who have an inclination to stare at someone because he(or in some cases she) is black. This is just my own experience. I am more aware and to be honest, more sensitive to it. Atlanta has alot of problems. It's all hidden so far that even the stench of it can't get up there, but if you watch carefully, you'll see it. Not everyone in metro Atlanta is racist or prejudice. I know that for a fact, but Atlanta is not too busy to hate. Atlanta is just image conscious. Look at Birmingham. Birmingham had the riots and bombs like Atlanta, but Atlanta had less notoriety for it and tried to pass itself off as being better than Birmingham and being more progressive to avoid economic turnovers(i.e., trying to look good for the corporate world.) by using the slogan "Atlanta, The City Too Busy To Hate". Birmingham didn't do this and it looked real bad. It was the "Johannesburg of the West" as I call it. Companies were reluctant to relocate to Birmingham because of its violent reputation. Atlanta faked being good and succeded.
I feel like I cannot allow you and others to speak of half truths.I have many things id like to say to back up your statements about Atlanta.Let me start off first by saying i am a strong believer in diversity as well as ethnic awareness and pride,and freedom to live and do as one pleases in this world.Atlanta has its tensions of race.We agree.What we do not agree on as to the level and the reality of how bad it is.That can be because most people do not agree to what and who it it relates to or even what racism is.One only needs to address history as to how things are in this spot.Here some factual points against your statements about Atlanta's "Too busy to Hate "phrase and according to you not owning up to there racial problems as yo say.1)Atlanta was called the City to busy to Hate because of the fact that throughout the period around the 1920's Atlanta growth really took off because mainly the leadership on both sides of the color line.People such Henry W.Grady whose coined the turn "New South".Also former mayor Ivan Allen Sr. with the Forward Atlanta campaign ,Willam B. Hartsfeild(fmr mayor)who with the urging of informal mayor of "Sweet Auburn"(the richest area for blacks in the U.S. at the time),to allow African-American to to began serving as Police officers.Years later when Martin L. King was to arrive from Memphis after being shot to the death,,unlike Birmingham,Detroit,L.A.,Chicago etc,rioting broke out,Atlanta leaders elite such as Mayor Ivan Allen jr,Robert Woodruff(Coca-Cola),got together in private and paid and arranged for his homecoming because of the racial tension there,and everywhere else they were also aware the world would have eyes on the the city so as to avoid any negative views.Also of note,that the Junior Allen Mayor, was also the only southern elected official to testify in favor of integration in front of congress at risk of alienation from his southern counterparts.Well before the 1964 civil rights acts was written ,most of Atlanta's business leaders got together with the Mayor and others in government and decided to integrate the restaurants and stores.Through a track record of working together with the goal of growing an economy the phrase came as a slogan.Not overnight,and certainly not without strife and tensions.2)What bombs in Atlanta are you referring to? The Olympic bombing?As i recall,it was in Montgomery at (at the King residence),Birmingham the 4 little girls at the 16 Street Baptist Church and countless other places in Mississippi and throughout Alabama.3)No city can hide from injustices because there is always someone somewhere who will uncover them.Atlanta has never been able too escape an image that is not all true to it.Atlanta by virtue of its location in the South AND also its own doing(negative history),is always seen other regions as no different than say a Birmingham,Jackson,New Orleans etc.This is one reason Atlanta's identity cannot be easily marketed.Yes it is part old south,yes it is liberal in civil rights for gays and blacks.Atlanta's particular model for affirmative -action was the model for the rest of the country.It allowed for several woman and minority companies to thrive to become today some of the largest minority owned business in America.Domestic partner benefits for city and county employees exist.They do not for Birmingham and other southern cities.My point is ,if you look at states such as Mississippi ,Alabama,South Carolina,Although they are growing companies and people are not moving there at the rate of Atlanta or even Georgia because the attitudes are among not all but too many people are still behind the world.In other words the situation of these areas are in proportion to the attitudes of that area.4)The majority of my friends are from every country,race and ethnicity.We hang out in public routinely.I can honestly say that they or I have never experienced any racial tension while in the city when we hang out.I am African-American I also have friends in majority wealthy black area of the Cascades and other wealthy black enclaves for African-Americans.These havens in most others cities do not exist.Most of them are from OUTSIDE the SOUTH.They are not prejudice but they like to feel like their culture and way of life is forefront rather than less the mainstream.Its just easier for some to live among those who have had the same journey.5)this may be slightly off topic but it does relate to perception vs. reality.Miami is very diverse however the tensions in Miami between different ethnicities are legendary and currently so.Yet because of Miami Beach people ignore the racism and prejudice the because of how the city is divided.A French friend of mine recently had a short stay in for 3months in North Miami Beach.The landlord told him that the area was becoming nicer because the black are being forced out.Miami although geographically speaking is in the South, is not culturally southern.They have had riots and skirmishes constantly.Here in Atlanta it is a matter of choice and most people don't care what you choose to do.Yes I know Atlanta has issues,but you must give credit where credit is due,fiction and half truths are totally misleading.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:23 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,781,942 times
Part of the reason black men are portrayed in a stereotypical way is due to consumerism. It's much easier to sell products to people when you can make them act and think a certain way. When black people get into positions where they can help change that stereotype and show they are intelligent, some often just jump on the bandwagon of exploiting the stereotype to make money. It's almost like an insiders club of people praying on their own people. Especially in Atlanta that has a large amount of the black population in positions of power and wealth where they can create another renaissance like Harlem, it's sad more people don't use what they have to create change. Another problem is the feeling of entitlement, where people don't really feel how lucky to have what they have and don't feel a need to give back, which affects most families of any race who have been in the middle or upper class too long.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:17 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,309,440 times
Default What is going on?

Atlanta,
I am relocating to your city later this year...I think. I am a white man married to a black hispanic woman and we have 3 kids. I attended an IT class in Marrietta (sp) '05 and I don't remember any racial tension. After that class, I came home and said we are moving to Atlanta in '08. I absolutely loved it and more importantly so does the boss (the wife ). Atlanta, this activity about racism and hate crimes are starting to worry me...just a little. From how the conversions are going I fully expect to be jumped by a black man and yelled at by white man. The funny part, we live in southern Mississippi and NEVER had an incident. I hope, I am not setting my family up for failure?

Old 03-17-2008, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 8,912 times
Jbub,

I really think that you and your family will do just fine here. I think that this forum has just become a very open and frank discussion. There are some extremist opinions posted here, mine included. I apologize if my venting has given you pause for thought; I also apologize if it has in any way hurt the feelings of anyone reading it. That wasn't my intent. I don't normally post on forums, nor do I normally talk about race relations.

Reading others' opinions posted on this forum has been enlightening to me. I do think that we all need to be able to talk about these things (politely and courteously.)

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:33 PM

182 posts, read 451,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
Can anybody give me a simplistic view of racial relations(Blacks/White) in Atlanta and suburbs? The reason why I am asking is because I have felt a lot of this tension even here as I was reading some threads. It seems Blacks and Whites have drastically different experiences living in Atlanta.
The simple answer as I see it is, love the essence of the person. When I moved to Atlanta 6 years ago, my family did not want me to move here because of the predjudice white people that banded my mother's singing idol Ray Charles. My aunt who is a card carrying member of NAACP who grew up telling me about the fight for civil rights. I had no idea that predjudice ran both ways. I moved into a predominately African American Community all though at the time, I didn't even know it until my African American relator pointed it out. I couldn't understand at the time why she would think that would matter to me. Until now I realize that it wasn't me that cared it was my brothers and sisters who were my neighbors who cared that I was white. My whole life I was taught to look at the heart and soul of someone and I realized I was not accepted and never fully would be because I am white. I had to realize over time that I was white and I would always be seen as white. I was mad, I cried because I wanted to be accepted for my essence but I realized that I am white and I can't change that but I can love the best that I can and not let someone else's idea of who I am change who I really am inside. I truely understand what it means to love someone who doesn't love me back. I wanted to tell you this because anything is a journey and everywhere you live can hurt you or make you stronger. What does the song say, "What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger." So understand who you are and let your essence shine through.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:24 PM

16 posts, read 36,392 times
well i hope all well goes well with the racial tension going on b/cause i really want to move out there this summer w/my kids .

Old 03-18-2008, 07:25 PM

You pretty much know the answer.If Mississsppi is ok for you and family then you will be fine especially in Atlanta.If you look for everything people say on here ,you will definately find it.That means good or bad.Think about it,people just don't flock to a city and STAY more than leave,because its a horrible place.I love it here and I have tyhe pleasure of living all over the world.Perfect;No but on the brink of racial calamity,not even close either.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seh1959 View Post
Aries,

I am a middle-aged white woman and I agree with much of what you said. The worst part about the race relations, as I see it, is that persons of color can complain about other races; they can exalt their own race ("beautiful black man, strong black woman" ad nauseum), but whites are supposed to remain mum about our concerns regarding race relations. If a white person speaks up about things that bother them regarding race relations, then, immediately the superior-acting, hypocritical idiots come crawling out of the wood work screaming, "RACIST!!!!" And, from what I see, it's mostly other whites screaming these accusations. I think this is pretty dangerous. I think that when a large group of people are expected to be silent about things that concern them, then those concerns start to become resentments and unreasonable fears.

And are white people afraid of black people? Well, let me answer it this way: it seems to me that, me and my white friends are teaching our kids not to hit, and not to get violent with others. Then they go to school and they are around kids who, apparently are taught to be threatening and tough if they don't get respected. So, basically, we strip our kids of any defenses and then send them off to figure out how to get along with kids who believe in violence or the threat of violence in order to get their way. It seems to me that African Americans are more prone to violence than white people are, on the whole. Maybe it's just my perception, but if that's so, I can at least say that that's the perception being propagated through the media.

And while we're on the subject, why isn't anyone calling it another hate-crime when another black man kills another white woman? Is there anyone out there who honestly thinks that race doesn't play into some of these murders? I'd like to see the stats on how many white guys rape or kill black women vs. how many black men rape or kill white women.

Do I keep my eye on that black man walking down the side walk toward me? You bet I do. He may be another one who hates white people and would like to take it out on a white person who is physically weaker than him.

So you all can come crawling out screaming that I'm a racist if it makes you feel better about yourself. Someone in an earlier post said that a racist is someone who believes that one race is inferior to another. I don't believe that. But I do believe that the African-American culture is different from the culture that I know as a white person, and there are a lot of things about the African-American culture that I strongly dislike. The idea that violence is OK is one of them. As is the realization that if my son stands up to a black kid at school, it may come to a fight. And if that happens, then there may be 4 or 5 kids against my son. Then this poor excuse for a news media that we have here in Atlanta will refer to it as a school fight, rather than a mob-beating.

As for the racial relations here in Atlanta, my own experience has been that the African-Americans who have relocated here are people I can take at face value. In other words, I don't "get" feelings of predjudice or resentment from them. The people who are from around here who are of color, I find, to be a different story. They seem to have a chip on their shoulder and make it apparent when dealing with whites.

I, myself, am from the midwest and didn't have to deal with racial tension until I moved here 20 years ago. I'm from a city of diverse cultures, and somehow we just all got along. Maybe there were a few problems and concerns here and there, but people showed courtesy and respect to each other across the racial lines.

And to the person who compared the Michael Vick dog-fighting issue with hunting, let me just say this: dog-fighting is a vicious and cruel "sport". The dogs tear each other to pieces, and live their whole lives for the purpose of fighting. There is no quality of life. It was derived, apparently from some sort of sadistic mentality. Hunting, on the other hand, involves a quick death (hopefully) to an animal who has been allowed to live a free life up to that point. Any hunter worth his salt will not let his hit suffer. If the animal runs off after being shot, the hunter will track him to the best of his ability in order to make sure that the animal doesn't suffer. Dogs who are used for dog-fighting suffer greatly. Since you were the one who claimed that dog-fighting is a sport of black men (something I was not aware of until reading your post) and that hunting is a white man's sport, then, you have just given me another reason to keep my eye on that black man sharing a sidewalk with me.
I wont even try to get into all the things you stated.But as a matter of logic look at it this way.I am a black 3rd generation armed service member and veteran.For every story of crime you can come up with I can give you an injustice against innocent black people on EVERYDAY that you will not see on T.V. at 6pm on the news.The fact that you think circumstances and history do not play any roll into what leads people to do what they do proves to me that you Are RACIST.racism - Definitions from Dictionary.com
Im not name calling, what you've stated as your belief is the very definition of racism.I am not a violent person innately.I was raised by parents who both have Doctorates ,so my life has been blessed.The damage that you associate black people with towards white people is little to the proportion of damage these hoodlums black some may be,do more harm in their own neighborhoods.If you are fine with your racist attitude then so be it.But if you care as much about America as I do you would do well to soul search root causes so we can stop future young black,latino,white asian etc..from destroying our sense of safety.The bottom line is I can blame white people all day for many things as to the why things are the way they are now and it would be the truth .You can ,blame black people for all the problems and it would be the truth.You ever heard the term together we conquer divide we fall.Here are a couple of places to start.1)Stop Drugs.1)stop building more Prisons to TEMPORARILY house people.If college can't be free BEFORE they get to prison then whats the point of getting a degree in college.When they get out they still get punished.How can someone survive without given a legal way to do so.3)Stop generalizing and stereotyping .The black friends and parents i grew up with and know do not teach there kids violence.The difference is socio-economic, not color.When parents have to work 2 or three jobs,when can they watch there kids and teach them right and wrong when the street is the teacher.4)The Majority of BLACK people in this country are not living under the poverty line.The majority by far is middle class and up.It just so happens that it is double that of whites.Somewhere between 15-30%.Do you think if free education to everyone would that number be as high?5)White people in South Georgia and other parts of rural Georgia have been dog-fighting since before slavery.They still do,the fact that this escapes the media as if it were a black thing only, is crazy to me.I agree your hunting statement is on point.I do not share the notion that of some black people find the idea of dog fighting is okay.5)I too get scared,nervous and anxious when i see white boys/men when i am in area not familiar to me.A uniform has saved my life many times I an tell you.The fact that I was fighting "OSAMA" got me less slurs,and little more respect.Never mind the fact that in my civilian life I have two degrees and own 2 businesses.I have so much to say but in the end does it matter.Will you listen to what I have to say and contemplate my words or will you just shrug them to side and be apart of a battle that neither side will win because you can't see that human people all over adapt to situations pretty much the same.No that would the hard way.Or just keep your thoughts ruled by emotion.Thats the easy way.Anyway again I hope the best for your son,you,my family and me that the path this country continues to go down will reverse and become healthy for ALL Americans.
Also go actually learn about African American culture.The things you mention as culture are very insulting.Is cross -burning part of your culture?What about serial killing?No I don't believe that.I think you should take a trip to the Apex library,The Herndon Home,The Atlanta University Center,A black Church,read Native Son,catch the Alvin Ailey dancers or a play by Kenny Leon.Thats African American culture.
Black people have had culture,education and in most cases their own community infrastructure in Atlanta for years.To be educated with a Medical Degree from Harvard and still not be allowed to eat at a restaurant that serves mainly poor whites.Yeh I can imagine that some of those blacks do have a chip on there shoulder.Not right,but everything for a reason.In Atlanta if you want to(if Black),can live in a million dollar neighborhood and not have to worry about people looking at you wanting to know "how could you possibly afford the finer things"like they in can.As a teenager,after moving into my Parents new home of houses costing over $400,000 in the eightee's ,where only 2 other black families lived.I was harassed by police stopping me as why i was there and not believed that my parents actually had a house their.Again not right,to "act better than thou art"but understandable.I love all my white brothers and sisters as i love my own race, no better.However bye no fault of mine or theirs directly we all bear the brunt when people stop thinking and resort to everything being easy by sticking with our own without acknowledging fault where it should right rest and move together toward the future while learning from the past.

Last edited by afonega1; 03-18-2008 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: one or two things to add

Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,263,851 times
afonega,

I think you have some really intelligent and very, very interesting things to say...but you need to format your writing to make it reader friendly. I can't read it all because there are no visual breaks in the text. What happens is the eye loses its place and then the thought is interrupted.

Just insert breaks, visual "white space" between blocks of text (in a logical manner) and your point will be that much stronger.

But, I did make it through your first post on this page before my eyes grew strained and I did agree with your sentiments...as a 33 year old white woman raising a white male (currently aged 6).

Old 03-18-2008, 11:10 PM

thanks.for the helpful points.I got winded and just got forgot about proof reading.lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta