Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:39 PM

163 posts, read 433,042 times

Advertisements

As a NJ native...I don't buy it for one minute. It's way cheaper to own a car down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 06:44 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,260,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post
As a NJ native...I don't buy it for one minute. It's way cheaper to own a car down here.
Absolutely. Same for MA and NY, two states where I've owned vehicles.

With the 2013 elimination of the ad valorem tax and sales tax on cars, it's even less expensive here.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:43 AM

17,747 posts, read 22,530,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post
I dont believe this. I notice they didn't factor in tolls, they didnt factor in the cities that you have to pay to park on the street for residents, they didnt factor in the cities that you have to pay to park in the garages if you live in an apartment,they dont have anything about the states that have horrible roads which requires more car repairs, etc.There is no way that it cost more to own a car in Ga than in NJ, FL, TX, CA,NY, etc
Don't forget MA......5% sales tax, then an annual excise tax for the life of the car. GA used to have something similar but now just has the flat sales tax. Even NH has zero sales tax but after 4-5 years of excise taxes on a new car you have paid like 5% in that and it never goes away (though the rate decreases annually).

Old 09-09-2013, 12:24 PM

23 posts, read 26,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrythesnake View Post

Tickets should be factored in because it is a cost
Yeah, it's a cost. That's your fault. I havn't had a ticket in over 25 yrs. because I don't drive like a moron. You could have easily avoided any tickets.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:30 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,650,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netsirk View Post

Exactly...As a NYC native, this study is pure poppycock. Upon my move, my car insurance was reduced from $2800/yr to $1200/yr. Gas is usually $.40-$.50 cents more per gallon in NYC. The bridge crossing tolls (BK, Qns or BX to Man) are $7.50 each way compared to one $.50 on 400, Verrazano bridge is $15 one-way and the tolls for the NJ crossings are $12 one-way. Did they not account for the wear and tear on a car as well. NYC (and other NE cities) streets take a severe toll on a car as well. Parking is way way more expensive, etc, etc, etc...

Pure poppycock!

Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,641,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Briggs View Post
Yeah, it's a cost. That's your fault. I havn't had a ticket in over 25 yrs. because I don't drive like a moron. You could have easily avoided any tickets.
I'm actually one of the best drivers in the state of Ga. People who live in DC know what I'm talking about

Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,934,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Exactly...As a NYC native, this study is pure poppycock. Upon my move, my car insurance was reduced from $2800/yr to $1200/yr. Gas is usually $.40-$.50 cents more per gallon in NYC. The bridge crossing tolls (BK, Qns or BX to Man) are $7.50 each way compared to one $.50 on 400, Verrazano bridge is $15 one-way and the tolls for the NJ crossings are $12 one-way. Did they not account for the wear and tear on a car as well. NYC (and other NE cities) streets take a severe toll on a car as well. Parking is way way more expensive, etc, etc, etc...

Pure poppycock!
You are forgetting the main reason GA is the most expensive state to drive in: The number of miles you drive. The average Georgian is driving way more than someone living in NYC. That extra gas, deprecation, and maintenance are the big automobile expenses.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:29 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,650,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
You are forgetting the main reason GA is the most expensive state to drive in: The number of miles you drive. The average Georgian is driving way more than someone living in NYC. That extra gas, deprecation, and maintenance are the big automobile expenses.
Understood, but those NYC street and even highway miles are much harder on a car, than Georgia. The potholes and all of the constant construction really puts a beating on a car. Also the stop and go nature of NYC traffic, can certainly close the extra gas gap. Personally I have a relatively short commute to work, I'm a 10 minute drive to Midtown and I really don't venture too far outside the perimeter to often, so I do not find my mileage has increased too much since moving to GA.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,934,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Understood, but those NYC street and even highway miles are much harder on a car, than Georgia. The potholes and all of the constant construction really puts a beating on a car. Also the stop and go nature of NYC traffic, can certainly close the extra gas gap. Personally I have a relatively short commute to work, I'm a 10 minute drive to Midtown and I really don't venture too far outside the perimeter to often, so I do not find my mileage has increased too much since moving to GA.
Sure. Your case may vary. But we are talking averages. Many people in NYC don't even use their car for their daily commute. While there are a few in Atlanta like that. Making an hour plus drive through the burbs is more the norm.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:34 AM

1,637 posts, read 2,641,959 times
People in LA have longer commutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: