Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,368 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum and thought that I could get some feedback on where I hope to relocate.

I'm a Caucasian, gay 21 year old male currently living in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I'm Twin Cities born and raised and grew up in fairly affluent suburbs; however I have learned over the past few years how much I prefer city life.

I'm 6 months away from finishing my B.A. in Psychology from the University of Minnesota. Upon graduation, I'm planning to move to a different city to experience life somewhere else. Atlanta caught my eye because of its size, warm climate, diversity, general appeal and the fact that it has Georgia Tech. (I plan on pursuing graduate school sometime later in my 20s)

I've never visited the city however and am not sure if it's the type of place for me. So I suppose, to list off a few things about me:

- I do enjoy urban living. I would have a car, but I prefer taking public transit or walking places if possible. I also plan to live in a Studio or 1BR apartment, preferably under $700/mo

- I'm a very avid runner and trails/parks are very important. They are not a necessity but would be very optimal.

- As I stated earlier, I'm gay. I am not a "femme" or super public of the fact at all, but I do like men. I enjoy gay bars and organizations however and not in any way against the straight alternatives. A place where the general population is accepting of that attribute is desirable.

- I am hoping to find an entry level management position at a corporation before graduate school. I'm unfamiliar with Atlanta's job prospects at the moment but I'm wondering if entry level jobs are prosperous.

- I'm a friendly person, yet shy. I'm used to the "Minnesota Nice" and while I do appreciate an easy friend-making process, I want to have to push myself a bit. So I prefer a place that's friendly, but overly-so like Minneapolis.

- I value my safety. I am a tall, 6'3 male and am never worried about my safety in the Twin Cities and would like to live somewhere that shares that characteristic. (I realize crime happens in every city, but I'm avoiding the likes of E. STL or Gary, IN)

That's about all I can think of. I'm just an eager college senior waiting to get out of his hometown for a while. Do you think ATL would be a viable option or do you think I should seek other alternatives?

Thanks for your help!

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM

259 posts, read 394,455 times
I'd go to San Fran with your list.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:53 PM

37,898 posts, read 42,033,653 times
The unemployment rate here is slowly inching down, but the job market is still somewhat tough; I'd say that's your biggest hurdle. But there are lots of companies here so that's a plus. It sounds like Midtown would be perfect for you; it's the most gay-friendly part of the city and is home to Piedmont Park. Finding a studio/1BR under $700/month might be a tall order though.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:54 PM

283 posts, read 360,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangejelly View Post
I'd go to San Fran with your list.
You're not going to find a studio or 1BR apartment in San Francisco for $700/mo or under.

I'd say Atlanta would be good, but, like anywhere, try to secure some sort of employment first. If you can't and still want to come, be willing to grab any job until you can find something more substantial or get through grad school.

I think the city has most of what you're looking for in terms of safety, trails, etc. However, I wouldn't expect everything to be within walking or transit distance. It depends on where you end up living. Midtown is typically the gay ground zero with other major areas being Buckhead and Decatur -- Decatur is less urban though and probably more inner-ring suburbish.

I think the only thing that would get in your way here is your rent expectations. $700/mo is doable, but probably not for the most up-to-date apartments. I'd probably venture to say that some would even be in less desirable/higher crime areas. But, you're right in that crime can be anywhere but I think it's more concentrated in pockets of certain areas here.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:54 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,097,564 times
$700 is a tough budget. Find a job here first. I am sure you will love it here.

There is a gay running group in Atlanta. Front Runners Atlanta Although it is open to anyone.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:00 PM

27 posts, read 38,220 times
Midtown sounds like a good fit though with your budget you might need a roomate. (In San Fan you would need at least three roommates to live in the Castro. Probably more). Some of the homes on Myrtle, Penn, and Piedmont remind me a lot of St. Paul. The major difference is that you're immediately adjacent to a district with beautiful skyscrapers and the most populated gayborhood in the area.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:44 PM

259 posts, read 394,455 times
If not San Fran, Seattle.

You are going to have a tough time living a urban car-free lifestyle here.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:58 AM

27 posts, read 38,220 times
I say visit. I'm surprised by the increasing number of people who get around mostly by bike with the advent of the Beltline. That said, at a minimum, living in Atlanta without at least a zip car subscription would be hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: