Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:40 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,807,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What you're seeing happen right now is problems being addressed. Getting rid of corrupt officials, finding accounting problems, etc. Correcting problems, by nature, tends to be followed by improvements.
I hope you are right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 01:48 PM

32,063 posts, read 37,028,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
It is possible that DCSS was never that great, rather it was a reflection of the population that it was educating.
That's an interesting angle I had not considered. However, wasn't DeKalb in its heyday pretty similar to what it is today? I know there have been some racial shifts in the population but my guess would be that from a socioeconomic standpoint the situation isn't that much different.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,807,704 times
Dekalb County was run under court order for decades to insure integration. I think that the way the court order was followed, combined with the way that whites responded, probably affected school quality.

Quote:
It is possible that DCSS was never that great, rather it was a reflection of the population that it was educating.

Last week, a former superintendent, Dr. Freeman stepped forward to take responsbility for the nepotism that runs so rampant in DeKalb. His reasons for hiring husband/wives, son/daughters, best friends, may have been valid at the time. However, I suspect he required candidates to be qualified. (This was 20 plus years ago, mind you.) Since his term, nepotism has run rampant and qualifications became irrelevant. This became part of the downfall of this system. Children haven't been first in decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's an interesting angle I had not considered. However, wasn't DeKalb in its heyday pretty similar to what it is today? I know there have been some racial shifts in the population but my guess would be that from a socioeconomic standpoint the situation isn't that much different.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:22 PM

616 posts, read 1,117,726 times
Quote:
An economist did an analysis for the AJC and clearly showed that Dunwoody could support a own school system. I suspect that Brookhaven could as well.
If Dunwoody formed its own school system it would be almost instantly elite and property values would go through the roof. With that location and the community feel it has already it would be an overnight sensation.

Similar things could be said about Sandy Springs, although it doesn't really have the same neighborhood feel that Dunwoody does. It has plenty of potential tax base though, and a similarly good location.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
If Dunwoody formed its own school system it would be almost instantly elite and property values would go through the roof. With that location and the community feel it has already it would be an overnight sensation.
But where would that leave the rest of DeKalb County?

Old 05-08-2013, 06:45 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,372,586 times
Quote:
But where would that leave the rest of DeKalb County?
They obviously don't care.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:25 AM

If one city goes off and does its own exclusive school system, how is it helping the rest of the county.

Look at the city of Decatur. Shouldn't they be forced to get in there with the rest of DeKalb?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,372,586 times
Quote:
If one city goes off and does its own exclusive school system, how is it helping the rest of the county.

Look at the city of Decatur. Shouldn't they be forced to get in there with the rest of DeKalb?
City of Decatur schools predate current law, so that's a different case than forming new schools systems.

I agree breaking apart is destructive to the county as a whole. How could it not be? Decatur was recently pursuing annexation of some of Dekalb's commercial areas near Emory for no reason other than to grab the tax revenue. Thankfully, they failed, as that would have taken a pretty large bite out of the county's revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta