Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 07:09 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,675,118 times

Advertisements

I know that sometimes my postings about DeKalb schools are met with skepticism by some who read them. I just received this email from a friend and it is very telling about the fiscal reality that the DeKalb school system is operating under. I think the third paragraph is particularly telling. DeKalb didn't give this salary increase in Sept when all other Metro systems did. Keep in mind that transportation is being changed, programs eliminated and central office layoffs (this is a good thing) are also coming.

"Want to know what is very scary this Halloween weekend? The fact that Dr. Lewis is asking the DeKalb County School Board to remove pay raises that were to begin in January for our children’s teachers that were promised last summer. These step increases are only two percent but the message it sends to DeKalb’s teachers is chilling. You are not valued.

On occasion, Dr. Lewis has warned that layoffs would destroy morale. However, layoffs at the central office are unlikely to impact our children very much. However, unhappy teachers absolutely do.

I, for one, am only concerned about the morale of the employees in my children (and your children’s) classrooms and school buildings. The quality of my children’s education is tied directly to the quality of their teachers. For certain, many of DeKalb’s best and brightest will choose to go work for other systems not making the same choice about step increases. DeKalb is already the only school system that did not give this Step increase in September, choosing to delay it until January. Now, Dr. Lewis is asking the Board to rescind it. DeKalb’s teachers salary is rapidly falling in rank in the metro area. This should concern us all.

I am certain that the funds exist in our nearly 1 billion dollar budget to show DCSS teachers the respect they deserve. There are many areas where cuts could be made, waste removed and efficiencies discovered. Fiscal times are certainly tight, but to balance the budget on the backs of the very people who are the most important in our children’s day to day life is inexcusable.

Take a few minutes this weekend to drop the entire board and Dr. Lewis an email asking them not to rescind the teacher’s Step increase. At a minimum, ask them to delay the vote a few weeks to explore other options. Feel free to forward this email to as many DeKalb County Residents as you can. Feel free to use parts of this email, but better yet, put in your words why you think this is a bad idea. Here is who to contact."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta