Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 PM

11 posts, read 30,583 times

Advertisements

My husband has got job in Alpharetta and I will be working from home.So we are moving to Aplharetta GA with our 3.5 year daughter.

We are planning to buy house but not sure if we should buy house in Alpharetta or any near by area.Also we might go for renting single family house($800-$1200) until we find good house.
Which area is good in terms of buying/renting houses,schools,neighborhood,safety?Please provide your valuable inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,129 times
The good news for you is that your husband can work in Alpharetta, and you will be able to live in good areas close by. Namely - Alpharetta, Milton, Roswell, Johns Creek. These areas are all in north fulton, and are all part of the same school dsitrict, and more or less look and feel the same with some variations.

So your move is going to be an easy one, unlike some one who has to work in downtown Atlanta, but wants to live in the northern suburbs which are generally considered most appropriate for transplants.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Alpharetta and the surrounding areas would be good choices, but I'm not so sure you're going to find a deent single-family house for $800-1,200/month. Rental prices have been going through the roof lately, as there are still a lot of people who can't get a mortgage right now. We're in Canton (about 10 miles east of where you're looking), and houses that were renting for $1,300-1,500 just a few years ago are now getting $1,800-$2,200/month and are only listed for a few days before someone snaps them up.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM

183 posts, read 352,811 times
Definitely rent first if you can hold off purchasing....at least it will buy you some time to get to know the area a little more. And since your daughter is 3.5yo, you have some time (while in a rental) to look around and see what elementary school you want to put her for Kindergarten (BTW, I THINK GA offers free pre-K for 4yos...not sure since my kids are older so you might want to look into that).

Meanwhile, where should you live? The areas mentioned in the others posts are all great (neighborhoods, houses, schools, etc,) but I would also focus your location search on where your husband will work as well. On PAPER, 5 miles or 10 miles might look like an okay commute, but in reality, the on street traffic here during peak commute hours can really be a nightmare.

Have you thought about renting an apartment instead of a SFR? Might fit your budget better and easier to move (can negotiate a shorter lease) from if you're lucky and find your dream home sooner than expected?

Old 05-01-2013, 03:57 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamlym View Post
Definitely rent first if you can hold off purchasing....at least it will buy you some time to get to know the area a little more. And since your daughter is 3.5yo, you have some time (while in a rental) to look around and see what elementary school you want to put her for Kindergarten (BTW, I THINK GA offers free pre-K for 4yos...not sure since my kids are older so you might want to look into that).
GA state funded Pre-K starts at 4 (if your kid is 4 by school start time), but may be that might only be in 2014 for you, depending upon when your child was born. Majority (I think well over 75%) of these are offered through daycare centers (Kids R Kids, Primrose, etc), and very few seats are through an actual elementary school, so you will have time to figure out your elementary school.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:56 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Alpharetta and the surrounding areas would be good choices, but I'm not so sure you're going to find a deent single-family house for $800-1,200/month. Rental prices have been going through the roof lately, as there are still a lot of people who can't get a mortgage right now. We're in Canton (about 10 miles east of where you're looking), and houses that were renting for $1,300-1,500 just a few years ago are now getting $1,800-$2,200/month and are only listed for a few days before someone snaps them up.
This. Your rental budget is too low for a house in the North Fulton area. Check into apartment complexes, where you may have better luck.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM

11 posts, read 30,583 times
Thanks all for your inputs.I will certainly look for apartments.Also how is Cumming area?I heard that schools are better there.My daughter currently goes to the Montessori School so I am thinking to enroll her again in Montessori.Does anyone know which Monetssori school is better near all the areas(Alpharetta, Milton, Roswell, Johns Creek including cumming) mentioned so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta