Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM

14 posts, read 26,836 times

Advertisements

I am a New Yorker and my husband is from Okinawa, Japan. We are looking for a diverse place to live, ideally racially and a economically. Sidewalks are a must! A cafe or two that can be walked to would be great. I will be working planning to work at Northside Hospital, but have not yet heard from Emory. A 20 min or less commute is ideal. But being from NYC I am used to long commutes, so I am open minded to 35 mins or more.

I would like to buy a house, and would like some insight on an area that suits us. We are also looking for pool access. Single family or townhome is most desirable. Our budget is bet $70-250k. We are 30 y/o without kids (yet) and would love to live around other interracial couples if possible, and it would be nice to connect some New York/New Jersey people. Some decent schools will also be a plus. But we are friendly and open minded to a new and cleaner life in Atlanta.

I likes good Thai food (what is up with the Avocado in the Massaman curry out there!!!) My husband likes Korean. He is also a quality coffee drinker.

I will be in atlanta 4/22 and 4/23. Thank you for your advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Personally since you do not have kids yet I would recommend living intown in an apartment first. This will give you time to explore each community before purchasing a house.

Diversity wise, most Asians live on 85N in Gwinnett County from Norcross to the Duluth area. The only bad thing about that location is it is a typical suburban community with no sidewalks and the traffic is bad going to Northside Hospital during rush hour.

Personally I would recommend you living in Inman Park/Virginia Highland or Downtown Decatur. Plus you can take Marta to Northside Hospital from both locations

Old 04-21-2013, 01:13 PM

thank you for your response. we will definitely rent somewhere to live at first. I would like to be able to scroll some of the places city-data can recommend me tomorrow and Tuesday. just for a feeling. I should also note that we have a medium-size dog. coming from New York City I'm certainly not interested in renting an apartment for very long. apartment living can be very claustrophobic.
I will definitely check out Virginia Highland. it was mentioned to me by of Atlanta native.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:18 PM

thank you for your response. we will definitely rent somewhere to live at first. I would like to be able to scroll some of the places city-data can recommend me tomorrow and Tuesday. just for a feeling. I should also note that we have a medium-size dog. coming from New York City I'm certainly not interested in renting an apartment for very long. apartment living can be very claustrophobic.
I will definitely check out Virginia Highland. it was mentioned to me by of Atlanta native.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
The areas are great Tony mentioned for renting is great and it's in a great school district. But you will not be able to afford a singled family home in that area at that price, as homes in that area start at around $750 to $800k. Maybe $600k. When you are ready to buy a home you are not going to find a safe area with good schools, sidewalks and these amenities at that price unless you are willing to buy a condo.

Even a two-bedroom condo is going to be expensive. Your budget is going to relegate you to the burbs with no sidewalks.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:34 PM

616 posts, read 1,113,203 times
Dunwoody/Sandy Springs at the Perimeter is actually more diverse than people give it credit for, and very convenient to Northside Hospital. Duluth does have many Asians, but your commute to NSH from there would be rough, IMO.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Dunwoody/Sandy Springs at the Perimeter is actually more diverse than people give it credit for, and very convenient to Northside Hospital. Duluth does have many Asians, but your commute to NSH from there would be rough, IMO.
Sandy Springs may definitely be a great option. The OP should consider looking at townhomes there.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,526 times
For areas to rent in, checkout the city of Decatur, Atlantic Station, Midtown ATL, Vinings and Sandy Springs (Northside Hospital, Saint Joseph's Hospital, Children's Hospital and many doctor offices are located in this area).

I think you would like the city of Decatur (City of Decatur : Home). It is a small city close to the city and everything is within walking distance and MARTA (rail and bus) is in the area.

Also, Atlantic Station(Atlantic Station - Live, Work, Play) is a great area with everything within walking distance.

To purchase a home, I would recommend the areas of Duluth, Lawrenceville, Smyrna, Marietta, Kennesaw or Alpharetta (There are many New Yorkers in Alpharetta).

Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Decatur/Oakhurst is a great starting point. Short commute to Emory and commute via MARTA to Medical Center Station(Northside Hospital). Candler Park, Inman Park, Kirkwood are other great options.
It will be tough to find homes in your price range in Inman Park, Candler Park, and Decatur.
Kirkwood would have more housing stock options in that price range and lots of residents commute to Emory wither by car, transit, or bike. There are lots of mixed families in the neighborhood.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:22 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,146,666 times
Pls tell the OP about TRAFFIC in this area. It took me 1 hour to go 1.3 miles from Northside Hosp to JFerry and Ashford Dunwoody area last week at 4:30. The traffic stayed horrific until 6:30. This is a daily situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta