Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:35 AM

23 posts, read 52,769 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on Chestnut Mountain Elementary, C.W. Davis Middle, and Flowery Branch High?

Also, if anyone could let me know if there is any way to get into Spout Springs Elementary if I am districted for Chestnut? Or if that would even be a good idea?

We don't have kids yet but are trying to think ahead before buying as we are planning on having them soon (Basically once we find a house to raise children in).

I am looking for basic info on the quality of the schools. I see that C.W. Davis is very highly rated, Chestnut: not so much. Flowery Branch High: I just can't get a good read on.

The area as a whole looks to be struggling with math and science. Niche reports that FB High of students only 52% are proficient in Math by high school but the school gets a B over all and I keep hearing great things about it. Can anyone explain this?

Finally:

What is the level of technology usage in the classrooms?
Are there good AP courses?
Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself, but would it be considered weird to go to open houses before having kids? I would really like to get an idea for the schools first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Why America

Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ounty-pto.html

Old 06-25-2015, 12:30 PM

36 posts, read 63,841 times
I have started a thread specifically asking for advice on gifted programs (public as well as private) for my rising third grader (I also have 2 smaller children) and found it quite helpful. However, I have a specific question that I thought maybe you all could help me with. Because my son is very highly gifted, we need to find a program that will challenge him. We are leaning towards the public schools in North Fulton. I like their continuous curriculum and there are some great schools, in general. However, since my husband will be working in Duluth, we may also consider Suwanee and Buford City. Those schools get such great reviews. That being said, does anyone have information as to how their gifted programs work (Gwinett or Buford City)? How does math and language grouping work? He is several grades ahead in both and would need more than just being with the other brightest kids that are in his grade, most likely.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Old 07-24-2015, 08:49 AM

10 posts, read 18,567 times
Hello,

This is a great thread to start! I will be moving to Atlanta soon and wanted to get the lay of the land. I have been researching schools. I have tried to pull together a comprehensive list to use in evaluating where I live. I have used schooldigger and greatschools as well as the 2014 Climate Star Rating. Can anyone tell me other resources that I can use?

From what I've seen, the schools that are the best are in North Fulton (north of Chattahoochee River), South Forsyth, and East Cobb. However, contrary to the data, people are saying other districts have great schools too like North Gwinnett, etc. Where can I find this information???

Thanks for any info in advance.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:29 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,787,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeshpatel View Post
Hello,

This is a great thread to start! I will be moving to Atlanta soon and wanted to get the lay of the land. I have been researching schools. I have tried to pull together a comprehensive list to use in evaluating where I live. I have used schooldigger and greatschools as well as the 2014 Climate Star Rating. Can anyone tell me other resources that I can use?

From what I've seen, the schools that are the best are in North Fulton (north of Chattahoochee River), South Forsyth, and East Cobb. However, contrary to the data, people are saying other districts have great schools too like North Gwinnett, etc. Where can I find this information???

Thanks for any info in advance.
Be careful about looking at the most recent ratings in school digger and greatschools sites --the last year of testing appears to have abnormally small sample sizes for some tests in some schools--this has resulted in some schools having extreme changes in ranking (high and low)--if you want to use the rankings--look for trends, and not just the most recent year's ranking.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 8,930 times
You can select Capstone institute. But remember this is Mortgage institute which is provide Mortgage training classes.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 15,324 times
Any feedback on Dunwoody Elementary? Everyone said it was on par with Vanderlyn and Austin, but Great Schools has it rated as a 6....I know ratings aren't everything, but that's a pretty drastic change from the 10s that Vanderlyn and Austin receive....just wondering why the drop? Thanks in advance as I'm trying to determine if it's worth sending my daughter to Dunwoody Elementary in the fall or if I should be considering alternatives? I toured it and it's very nice (obviously new) and one of the 3 STEM certified elementary schools in the state, any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:00 AM

95 posts, read 214,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoodytoddlers View Post
Any feedback on Dunwoody Elementary? Everyone said it was on par with Vanderlyn and Austin, but Great Schools has it rated as a 6....I know ratings aren't everything, but that's a pretty drastic change from the 10s that Vanderlyn and Austin receive....just wondering why the drop? Thanks in advance as I'm trying to determine if it's worth sending my daughter to Dunwoody Elementary in the fall or if I should be considering alternatives? I toured it and it's very nice (obviously new) and one of the 3 STEM certified elementary schools in the state, any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
Its like your credit score - if your history is short,no matter what other checkboxes tick your score would be lower

the ratings too here - its newer school,so its rated lower or NR(not rated)

Dont worry - its a decent school..has better infra than Austin.. my kid started KG this year at Austin and I'd consider Dunwoody Elementary to b on par

Old 02-24-2016, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,004 times
Guys a little help here i am trying to buy a house in Atlanta anyone have a personal experience with Gadream down payment assistance for first time home buyerz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta