Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,875,132 times

Advertisements

i know that there is another topic on the forum about this, but it is 5 years old and i think it was misguided.

i'm sure many of you know about America 2050, it's an organization looking for the most efficient ways to develop cities and connect cities with things like high speed rail.

America 2050

There have been a million suggestions about high-speed rail and many of them are just blind suggestions. augusta? columbus? how about savannah? and none of them are the best idea.

america 2050 has identified 12 "megaregions" where the population is growing fastest now and will grow between now and 2050. these megaregions which comprise less than a third of the US' total land area, have 3/4 of the population in the united states. we're in one of the megaregions, the 'piedmont' megaregion which goes from birmingham to richmond, and connects to the northeast megaregion from Washington to Boston.

eventually i believe that the area from birmingham to richmond will be a lot like Bos-Wash, a fairly continuous megalopolis extending down the east coast. since this is where the population is centred, and the population is expected to grow, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to build the first high-speed rail line between atlanta and charlotte, nc, with stops in gainesville, commerce, anderson SC, greenville SC, spartanburg SC, and gastonia NC? to me this would make the most sense, more than any other high-speed rail proposal out there. what do y'all think?

Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I guess maybe we can hope on being able to take high speed rail to visit our great, great grandchildren.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I guess maybe we can hope on being able to take high speed rail to visit our great, great grandchildren.
Gotta start somewhere. The interstate highway network took decades.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:32 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,238,885 times
I'm really not big on inter/intra(whatever)city rail in Georgia, but if they are going to go ahead with it, I like the idea of connecting regions and not necessarily worrying about connecting the US as a whole. Once regional networks are setup, it would then make sense to have cross country high speed lines.

But I don't think intercity rail will be a success until there is good transit at every major node. Not necessarily train transport in every city, but at least some frequent visitor / business centric bus lines at each major stop. IE Macon, Chattanooga, Savannah, Columbus, Augusta, etc. I feel that city transit is step 1, inter/intra city regional rail is step 2, then cross country as step 3.

Just can't over the idea of going to Chattanooga by rail at this point. Get in my car to get to the train station, get on a train, get out in 'nooga, rent a car... As much as I would love rail, it just doesn't make sense.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Just can't over the idea of going to Chattanooga by rail at this point. Get in my car to get to the train station, get on a train, get out in 'nooga, rent a car... As much as I would love rail, it just doesn't make sense.
Last time I was in Chattanooga, they had a free, electric, downtown bus. Most of the tourist stuff is in downtown Chattanooga anyways, except for the stuff on Lookout Mountain.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:38 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
I'm also not big on the idea of intercity rail in America--I think our transportation woes are primarily WITHIN cities and that is where investments should be focused--but I agree with OP. Atlanta - Charlotte is a no-brainer for the first route. It's the biggest city that's somewhat close to us and there is a decent concentration of people in between.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I think our transportation woes are primarily WITHIN cities and that is where investments should be focused
Commuter Rail!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i know that there is another topic on the forum about this,
There is actually more than one. We cannot have a quarter of the topics on here about MARTA and/or high speed rail, so it's time to consolidate, folks.

Please use the search feature and find all high speed related threads. Pick the one you feel best suits this and add your posting and any additional comments to that thread, even if it's not brand new. The short of it - if I don't weed these out, someone else will come in behind me and start deleting, so please self-monitor regarding these topics and consolidate as much as possible to avoid this.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta