Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 08:33 PM

57 posts, read 122,886 times

Advertisements

Have an opportunity for a similar job at either school. Of the two, are either worth relocating the family from Birmingham to Atlanta for? Opinions on either school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 PM

421 posts, read 750,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellycat42 View Post
Have an opportunity for a similar job at either school. Of the two, are either worth relocating the family from Birmingham to Atlanta for? Opinions on either school?
What is the job? Depends on what you are looking for honestly.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,449,713 times
Georgia State because you will deal with College ready kids, and staff should be more professional. Atlanta Tech purpose is to get students a job after (mostly entry level) after no more than two years of technical training. I don't think its a matter of which is better, but what you prefer personally. Atlanta Tech student want be the same caliber of Georgia State, because of the different goals of both the student and staff. Most community colleges know, Georgia State curriculum is tougher and higher either a Junior or Technical College. From my personal experience at Atlanta Tech , admission office always seems very pack, lots of redundant paper work. It was also very hard to reach staff, which would cause me to always have to come in person for something that could have been answer on the phone.

Good things about Atlanta Tech from my personal experience is the new library, paralegal classes are taught by Attorneys.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 03-25-2013 at 05:30 AM..

Old 03-25-2013, 09:02 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,141,292 times
Academically, the two school are at opposite ends of each other. GSU is a research university and ATC is basically vocational. GSU is 30,000+ and ATC 5,000.

On what exactly do you give worth to?

Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 PM

119 posts, read 212,686 times
Ga State is great to work for but you need to make sure you are in the right department... Some departments are not run well...

Old 03-25-2013, 10:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,662,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozi30213 View Post
Ga State is great to work for but you need to make sure you are in the right department... Some departments are not run well...
Amen to that!

GSU is a university and Atlanta tech is a technical school, so they're different. GSU is a wreck and a waste of money in my opinion, but I'm biased. The reputation is ok. Don't buy into their propaganda and expect the world to be at your feet. Don't expect Emory, UGA or Tech quality jobs..but employers probably won't hold it against you since you're (I'm assuming) a post-bacc. GSU's strengths are in post-bacc and part-time programs.

imo, you're better off becoming a dental hygienist or a pharmacy technician or something at a technical school and saving yourself a whole lot of time, money and TUITION.

It's also going to be a lot easier if you're relocating.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,072,376 times
It depends what your situation in Birmingham is!

If you're working at UAB, then nah, they're probably not worth it. If you're working at Milo's, either one are probably worth it.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefRamsey View Post
Amen to that!

GSU is a university and Atlanta tech is a technical school, so they're different. GSU is a wreck and a waste of money in my opinion, but I'm biased. The reputation is ok. Don't buy into their propaganda and expect the world to be at your feet. Don't expect Emory, UGA or Tech quality jobs..but employers probably won't hold it against you since you're (I'm assuming) a post-bacc. GSU's strengths are in post-bacc and part-time programs.

imo, you're better off becoming a dental hygienist or a pharmacy technician or something at a technical school and saving yourself a whole lot of time, money and TUITION.

It's also going to be a lot easier if you're relocating.
The OP suggests that it's for employment, not to attend school. At least that was my impression. And I know people who left jobs at Tech for GSU and are happy and doing well there. Like any place, even Tech has its crappy department work culture. One person I know in particular left Tech as she felt unappreciated at Tech but at GSU her career is advancing. And yes, even Emory has its bad departments to work for and is willing to pay only for talent. So if your job is not especially skilled, don't expect good compensation. And I've heard the same is true at UGA as it's somewhat the dominant employer in town. Not much pressure to up the wages.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:47 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,148,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
The OP suggests that it's for employment, not to attend school. At least that was my impression. And I know people who left jobs at Tech for GSU and are happy and doing well there. Like any place, even Tech has its crappy department work culture. One person I know in particular left Tech as she felt unappreciated at Tech but at GSU her career is advancing. And yes, even Emory has its bad departments to work for and is willing to pay only for talent. So if your job is not especially skilled, don't expect good compensation. And I've heard the same is true at UGA.
Yeah, I don't get it. Attending a school and teaching at a school are completely different things. I'd imagine in some departments, teaching at GSU would be better then teaching at UGA or Tech. And I mean, it's not that easy to just get a prof. job at Tech or Emory.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yeah, I don't get it. Attending a school and teaching at a school are completely different things. I'd imagine in some departments, teaching at GSU would be better then teaching at UGA or Tech. And I mean, it's not that easy to just get a prof. job at Tech or Emory.
It's not clear that it involves teaching. Schools also have a lot of support staff. And within academic departments there is a lot of office politics and I've heard a lot of horror stories of petty politics at Tech. I recall one department that had two profs who hated each other so much they wouldn't attend a meeting if the other was there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: