Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 11:23 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,841,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
It's in the Peachtree Hills neighborhood which is just north of Midtown and just south of the Buckhead central business district.
Peachtree Hills is smack dab in the middle of Buckhead but it's still a great intown neighborhood. You've got a nice park across the street and, as Adric says, a very short walk to the train station. It's probably years away but eventually the Beltline will come right through there, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,071,769 times
I actually just passed the complex again earlier today. It's not 609/month. It's 639/month. That's my mistake. Hopefully it's still not too far out of budget.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:41 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,166,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how a single girl moving to Atlanta alone is dating a black guy =)
Uh, who cares?

Anyway, OP, yeah it wouldn't hurt to look at the roommate thing. Lawrenceville is not bad, but there's little to do at night, if that's you're thing.

Whatever you do, I STRONGLY advise against moving into southwest Gwinnett county (anywhere near Doraville or Norcross). There are a lot of rough spots around there. Lawrenceville, located near the middle of Gwinnett, overall shouldn't be as bad.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:06 AM

7 posts, read 29,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Uh, who cares?

Anyway, OP, yeah it wouldn't hurt to look at the roommate thing. Lawrenceville is not bad, but there's little to do at night, if that's you're thing.

Whatever you do, I STRONGLY advise against moving into southwest Gwinnett county (anywhere near Doraville or Norcross). There are a lot of rough spots around there. Lawrenceville, located near the middle of Gwinnett, overall shouldn't be as bad.
In reference to the "Uh, who cares?" comment...I had to read the original comment over a few times to get it, and i finally did!! They didn't mean anything in a bad way lol, they were saying how can i call myself single even though i clearly just stated i was dating someone! haha. At least I think that's what they meant lol!

I'm not tooooo worried about having little to do at night. I'm going down there with my focus on music. I don't know anybody there besides who I'm working with, so I don't plan on going out frequently. But that is good to keep in mind, I don't want to move somewhere where there is literally nothing to do.

So stay away from Norcross? Okay! I've only been to Atlanta twice and the area I travelled to was in Lawrenceville and the house was a huuuuuuuge house, dare I say mansion, in a neighborhood with other mansions. So I assumed these areas would be okay! lol. I think I'm just going to have to plan a trip down there in April or May & just feel things out. It's so hard to do online. What one person could be describing to me as a bad neighborhood could be the like neighborhood i grew up in which isn't super nice but isn't hood either. It's hard, you know? I'm still gonna look until then though!

Old 03-10-2013, 12:27 PM

492 posts, read 791,922 times
Norcross is fine overall and has great schools and highway acess.

Only people who don't like Mexicans and Koreans would say its "sketchy" but the area is safe middle class and good schools overall.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,075,390 times
Like Duluth, Norcross is fine if you stay within city limits.

If you go to the area of unincorpoarted Gwinnett county sometimes referred to as Norcross such as Jimmy Carter east of I-85, it is indeed quite sketchy.

The areas between Medlock Bridge Road and Buford Highway is a good general barometer for the good parts of Norcross and Duluth.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:32 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,166,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Norcross is fine overall and has great schools and highway acess.

Only people who don't like Mexicans and Koreans would say its "sketchy" but the area is safe middle class and good schools overall.
Uh. Take a look at which part of Gwinnett has a lot of hits on this crime map.

But then again, yeah, looks like Norcross isn't as bad as I thought--at least parts of it.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:45 PM

283 posts, read 360,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristenJZ View Post
In reference to the "Uh, who cares?" comment...I had to read the original comment over a few times to get it, and i finally did!! They didn't mean anything in a bad way lol, they were saying how can i call myself single even though i clearly just stated i was dating someone! haha. At least I think that's what they meant lol!

I'm not tooooo worried about having little to do at night. I'm going down there with my focus on music. I don't know anybody there besides who I'm working with, so I don't plan on going out frequently. But that is good to keep in mind, I don't want to move somewhere where there is literally nothing to do.

So stay away from Norcross? Okay! I've only been to Atlanta twice and the area I travelled to was in Lawrenceville and the house was a huuuuuuuge house, dare I say mansion, in a neighborhood with other mansions. So I assumed these areas would be okay! lol. I think I'm just going to have to plan a trip down there in April or May & just feel things out. It's so hard to do online. What one person could be describing to me as a bad neighborhood could be the like neighborhood i grew up in which isn't super nice but isn't hood either. It's hard, you know? I'm still gonna look until then though!
So I'm from Cleveland so maybe I can help put this in perspective using Cleveland cities. Norcross/Duluth would be kind of like Parma (only smaller) in that there are more older, "sketchy" areas where others are pretty decent although not "new." I'm more familiar with the northwest side so Kennesaw is like Strongsville, Woodstock is like Brunswick. I'm not sure how I would classify Lawrenceville though.... Maybe like a cross between Middleburg Heights and Brunswick.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:01 PM

492 posts, read 791,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Uh. Take a look at which part of Gwinnett has a lot of hits on this crime map.

But then again, yeah, looks like Norcross isn't as bad as I thought--at least parts of it.
Looks like every part of Gwinnet has crime based on the population density. Not sure how this show Norcross as some danger zone.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 AM

68 posts, read 122,465 times
Check out ProMove. They will do an apartment search for you that fits your budget, price range, and lifestyle and it is FREE. I used them to find my first 3 places in Atlanta. But, I have to agree with the others who posted, if a roommate is not an option for you, then you are going to have a hard time keeping within $550/month in a decent neighborhood. If you could increase your budget to $700, you will have much better luck. Either way check out ProMove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta