Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:42 PM

52 posts, read 211,927 times

Advertisements

Hi guys!
I have been in Metro Atlanta for 10 months from, S. FL by of NY. Leased a home in West Marietta for 4-5 months. Bought a townhome in Roswell for the remainder of the time. Now I am ready to put money down on a new home and permanently plant my roots. We have 2 young kids, and its time to settle down, and find a family home for us. I love it here in N. Atlanta, and I had my mind set on living here indefinitely. But I am now growing quite fond of S. Fulton, because it is exploding down there.

Give me the low down, guys!!!! I found a great lot in a subdivision called Lexington Park. It is right down the street from Le Jardin. Near The floorplans are beautiful. The craftsmanship seems a bit more superior than DR Horton, Legacy, and Beazer. It is along Highway 92, near Demooney and West Stubbs. But I am still apprehensive about the neighborhood. It so close to Clayton County, and I have heard of so many bad things about crime and low performing schools. Please share what you know...good and bad...about S. Fulton. (Diversity, crime, schools, transients/locals, commute, etc...). Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 04:50 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
I had a friend who had a large piece of property near Le Jardin that was slated to get alot of homes built on it. I was going to manage the construction for him, so we looked into moving into the area to be close to work. To say that I wasn't impressed with the schools once I researched them is an understatement. Though the elementary school (Renaissance, if I remember right) was brand new and a new middle school and high school are under construction, I wasn't comfortable putting my kids there. I can almost guarantee that all the folks buying those $1 million homes in Le Jardin are sending their kids to private school.

We also found that the area wasn't very "diverse"- it was overwhelmingly black. That itself isn't necessarily a bad thing, anymore than an overwhelmingly white area is, but it doesn't exactly fit the "diverse" program that so many people seem to be looking for.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:49 AM

218 posts, read 1,188,808 times
Yes, I lived in South Fulton and it is not a diverse area. I've found that Cobb is more diverse (certain areas) as well as certain parts of Gwinnett.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyEsquire View Post
Hi guys!
I have been in Metro Atlanta for 10 months from, S. FL by of NY. Leased a home in West Marietta for 4-5 months. Bought a townhome in Roswell for the remainder of the time. Now I am ready to put money down on a new home and permanently plant my roots. We have 2 young kids, and its time to settle down, and find a family home for us. I love it here in N. Atlanta, and I had my mind set on living here indefinitely. But I am now growing quite fond of S. Fulton, because it is exploding down there.

Give me the low down, guys!!!! I found a great lot in a subdivision called Lexington Park. It is right down the street from Le Jardin. Near The floorplans are beautiful. The craftsmanship seems a bit more superior than DR Horton, Legacy, and Beazer. It is along Highway 92, near Demooney and West Stubbs. But I am still apprehensive about the neighborhood. It so close to Clayton County, and I have heard of so many bad things about crime and low performing schools. Please share what you know...good and bad...about S. Fulton. (Diversity, crime, schools, transients/locals, commute, etc...). Thanks!!
And, the area you area speaking of is closer to Douglas County rather than Clayton. Again, nice area, just not diverse if diversity is more what you are looking for. If not, then it's a great up and coming area. As a matter of fact, a new elementary school will be opening in that area Fall of 2009 to accommodate all of that growth. A new high school will be opening up Fall of 08 or 09, and a new middle school opened up this year all in that area.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 PM

Ok, I have driven down there for about 7 Sundays in a row. The lack of diversity was noticeable. But what else does that area have to offer?

Old 10-20-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyEsquire View Post
Ok, I have driven down there for about 7 Sundays in a row. The lack of diversity was noticeable. But what else does that area have to offer?
Well, they will be building a Publix and some other shopping right on the corner of South Fulton Parkway and Hwy 92. There are more shops coming in the future...If you are familiar with Camp Creek Market Place, this area is supposed to be similar in the future. Plus, you area about 20 minutes from Douglasville and Arbor Place Mall, about 20 minutes from Fayetteville and other shopping in that vacinity, close proximity to interstates, and the airport, but, you still are going to get that "rural" vibe. I don't have any complaints about the area, it's pretty nice.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,538 times
Chattahoochee hill country to the south will probably be more white or mixed since it's closer to coweta and fayette which are both pretty white. Those areas are about to explode in an amazing way too; most of the planned developments are focused on conservation and greenspace and are quite upscale. I'm thinking the hamptons on the chattahoochee

Old 11-10-2007, 10:10 PM

154 posts, read 605,660 times
Just to add I've noticed increasing numbers of whites moving into S. Fulton. I think a lot of them have discovered that it isn't like they thought (i.e. it's nicer) and it's a better value in terms of housing costs, commutes, etc. Schools may not 'rate' highly on dubious ranking scales but private school is an option if desired.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:43 PM

bumping this thread.

still looking for a house.

any new news and opinions and observations about south fulton?

is it still overwhelmingly nondiverse? is that changing?

how are those new schools performing?

Old 11-30-2008, 03:23 AM

40 posts, read 176,226 times
To check the progress of the schools in that area look on greatschools.net, schooldigger, or even the ajc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta