Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 11:06 AM

472 posts, read 811,352 times

Advertisements

I just gave the numbers. Here in Georgia, the diversity can differ from across the street.

Much like the weather.

If you enjoy diversity, it's definitely here. If you prefer to stick to your own kind, it's definitely here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 11:24 AM

9,007 posts, read 14,093,725 times
It's a pretty big mix. There are all kinds of people here.

It's really neat when you go somewhere and there are all kinds of different people.

There is some segmentation, though. For example, last night we went to the symphony, and I'm pretty sure it was 100% white....so from that experience, you would think Atlanta is a white city. The opposite is also true. Sometimes I'll go places and I'll swear that the city has literally become 100% black.

So it's a mix, but sometimes it will seem very white and sometimes it will seem very black depending on what you do and where you find yourself.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:57 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,784,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
I just gave the numbers. Here in Georgia, the diversity can differ from across the street.

Much like the weather.

If you enjoy diversity, it's definitely here. If you prefer to stick to your own kind, it's definitely here.
I don't disagree that Metro Atlanta is diverse but Metro Atlanta is not majority African American

Old 12-16-2012, 06:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,137,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleezyMeezyLA View Post
I'm looking to relocate to Atlanta, GA or Charlotte, NC but according to crlsearch its mainly A-M I would rather live somewhere that is mixed and not a majority besides the stats is it mainly A-M or is it mixed? Also if I were to move to Atlanta it would probably be a suburb so what are some of the good suburbs with nice neighborhoods and good schools that isn't to far from ATL? I wanna be close to the city and due to work I have to travel there every friday so not to far. Don't worry about the price range I will figure it out because I would rather live in a good area thanks.
Some areas of the Atlanta metro are majority black, mainly in the southern parts of the City of Atlanta and in some of the southern and eastern suburbs. Some areas of the Atlanta metro are majority white. Some area of the Atlanta metro are almost an even mix like the area I live in here in southern Cobb County.

As others have said, there are also areas in the metro with large asian and/or hispanic populations.

A lot depends on what you're looking for, and your job location will probably be more important than anything else due to the size of the metro and the traffic patterns here.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 AM

434 posts, read 1,043,850 times
Quote:
I'm looking to relocate to Atlanta, GA or Charlotte, NC but according to crlsearch its mainly A-M I would rather live somewhere that is mixed and not a majority besides the stats is it mainly A-M or is it mixed? Also if I were to move to Atlanta it would probably be a suburb so what are some of the good suburbs with nice neighborhoods and good schools that isn't to far from ATL? I wanna be close to the city and due to work I have to travel there every friday so not to far. Don't worry about the price range I will figure it out because I would rather live in a good area thanks.
Atlanta has a rich AA culture both now and history, from MLK to politics to music, the arts, and more. Atlanta is known for that but its very diversified in every way. Just like NYC has the largest black population in the US and DC-Baltimore is known for its AA culture as well, doesn't mean ATL,DC,and NYC are everything black....far from it.
Tons of suburbs to your disposal, Smyrna, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody, Decatur, Tucker, its really an endless list. Atlanta is known for its traffic so you really can't avoid it but you can make your commute easier. For example, if you have to commute to dwtn, than Decatur-Brookhaven are good picks because they aren't too far from dwtn. So just do your homework on which 'burb you want to live in.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,790,733 times
Atlanta is still de-facto versus de-jure segregated... White in the North (with a small percentage of blacks), black in the South, and mixed in the middle. It's slowly becoming more integrated as rising land values keep spreading South. That's gentrification, and it really is a dirty word because it isn't truly racial displacement, but economic displacement, but the end result is a racial displacement. In the past, gentrification has displaced hard-working blacks from neighborhoods like Kirkwood. Organizations are doing more now to prevent hard-working people from getting pushed out of their neighborhoods in the next wave of gentrification (West end, Adair Park, Pittsburgh, Peoplestown, Summerhill, etc).

That doesn't mean there aren't relatively integrated areas here and there. For instance, Kirkwood is still about 50/50 and Smyrna is still very diverse even if Smyrna is becoming more white (and asian) as time goes on.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,930,064 times
Quote:
In the past, gentrification has displaced hard-working blacks from neighborhoods like Kirkwood.
Whoa, we have a great mixture of social-economic classes and races in Kirkwood. I think you are thinking of neighboring Oakhurst as that example. No one who does not want to sell their house is pushed into selling by neighbors.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:21 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,093,725 times
That post is full of gross assumptions.

Mostly white to the north?

Lawrenceville is 32% black.
Stone Mountain is 69% black.
Marietta is 33% black.

I don't call that mostly white up north. Blacks are highly represented in these areas. The United States only has a 13% black population, so these "white" areas have black populations roughly 3 times or more the national average.

Maybe this is "white" by Atlanta standards, but I would hardly call areas that have 3 times the national average of black people living there segregated.

Do you think an area has to be 50% black to be considered integrated?

Old 12-20-2012, 03:29 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,836,968 times
Quote:
I'm looking to relocate to Atlanta, GA or Charlotte, NC but according to crlsearch its mainly A-M I would rather live somewhere that is mixed and not a majority besides the stats is it mainly A-M or is it mixed?
What is A-M? African 'Merican?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:51 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,790,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Whoa, we have a great mixture of social-economic classes and races in Kirkwood. I think you are thinking of neighboring Oakhurst as that example. No one who does not want to sell their house is pushed into selling by neighbors.
I doubt with rising taxes some weren't forced to sell. I think Kirkwood happened before people started thinking about things like tax stabilization. Yes, it's still 50/50 but there are probably plenty of people struggling to stay there. Pittsburgh, Adair Park, otoh - they've already thought about tax stabilization and have groups like Annie E Casey helping to avoid any more people from being displaced beyond the ones that already have around 2006-2008. Perhaps some of that is filtering back to Kirkwood as well to prevent others from being forced out due to rising costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Lawrenceville is 32% black.
Stone Mountain is 69% black.
Marietta is 33% black.
You're right. I just looked at Smyrna and its black population is also about 30% as well (I remember there were times it was higher) and by looking at the Wikipedia archives, it's actually gone up in the last decade. Though I also believe it's decreased since 1980 (whereas Marietta and Lawrenceville probably gained black population since 1980)

I'll give you stone mountain as a wealthy black mecca (like Cascade, but North of I-20). I'm not sure the composition of Riverside and Bolton, but I'd figure they are still partly black and Hispanic but not nearly as much as it used to be. Apparently, Mableton is also majority black as is Austell which is 54% black.

Last edited by netdragon; 12-20-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta