Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you live?
The City of Atlanta (proper) 62 37.13%
Atlanta Suburb (but ITP) 16 9.58%
OTP 75 44.91%
Outside the Metro Atlanta Area 14 8.38%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 AM

668 posts, read 994,636 times

Advertisements

Fifteen years in Atlanta in the city proper the whole time. That hasn't changed with kids or age, either.

The question reminds me of this song, though, and I thought the accompanying video gives a nice synopsis of some peoples' perceptions of what it's like to come in town, take Marta, visit the public parks, interact with APS students, etc.

Joe Walsh In The City The Warriors music video - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM

418 posts, read 906,723 times
We went to downtown Roswell this weekend to check out the area as some on this board have said it's the VA-Hi of the north burbs. After 1.5 hrs, we were ready to go. No offense to anyone that loves that area but it wasn't for us. After having explored the burbs the past few months as a place to consider moving our young family to....we now know that living CoA proper is the right decision for us.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:40 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
TThe metro area has about 5.5 million people, but what does the city have? Like 400,000 or so? That means that less than 10% of metro Atlantans are proper Atlantans, but on this board, it is almost half. Interesting.
That could be due to several things. For example, maybe the ITP types are more internet savvy, or just more tuned in to getting on discussion boards and arguing their positions.

It's also possible that OTP folks are simply busy working for a living and they don't have time to fool around with this stuff.

Age could also be a factor. Aren't the elderly more prevalent ITP? I'm not saying they're all cranky but a lot of folks get more ornery as they age.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:02 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,390,202 times
My guess is that in-city folks are simply more interested in the city and nearby metro areas as are folks that, say, live in Forsyth County. Just my guess. And, yes, arjay, we seniors can be quite ornery!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
The Atlanta forum is heavily Atlanta-centric, meaning the city and areas close to the city get a lot of attention here. We have a lot of discussion about Decatur, Dunwoody, Brookhaven, etc., but if you live in Ackworth, Buford, Grayson, etc. there's very little here for you.

To my way of thinking, that's how it should be. People who choose to live on the fringes of the metro area do so because they want to be as far away from Atlanta as possible while still taking advantage of the benefits of being in a major metro area, so let them stay away from this forum. They aren't missed.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:47 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
To my way of thinking, that's how it should be. People who choose to live on the fringes of the metro area do so because they want to be as far away from Atlanta as possible while still taking advantage of the benefits of being in a major metro area, so let them stay away from this forum. They aren't missed.
^This^

Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Voted the other day but didn't comment. I am ITP a mile from downtown. I am in my 30s, married, 2 kids. I don't like suburbs - too much driving. I don't like being in the car that much and I work downtown and like to live close to my employment. If I had a job OTP, I would consider living OTP though but would probably not be as satisfied as I am living where I live now where I can get to a lot of places really quickly.

And as a 30 something mom, I do go out. Not that much, but I do. Luckily I have a couple relatives here who I can depend on to watch my kids. Before they moved here we didn't go out much. But I rarely go to movies because like Roslyn, I figure they will be on Netflix in a couple months anyway. I like comedy, live music, and theater and am enjoying this time of year since I like the various versions of the Nutcracker that are performed every year for Christmas and all the plays that are going on at different venues.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:15 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
Does anyone here commute from ITP to McFarland off of 400 in Alpharetta (or to Windward Parkway)?

That's one of the things keeping me from moving ITP- the commute. If I worked ITP, I'd live there no question.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,390,202 times
I don't commute to Alpharetta, but do head out to Tucker several time each week. It usually takes me 20 - 25 minutes from Midtown, so no real issue.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:45 PM

562 posts, read 1,126,975 times
I'm about 9 miles OTP to the east in the Stone Mountain, Lilburn area!!

I'm in my late 40's!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta