Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you live?
The City of Atlanta (proper) 62 37.13%
Atlanta Suburb (but ITP) 16 9.58%
OTP 75 44.91%
Outside the Metro Atlanta Area 14 8.38%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:42 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times

Advertisements

I'm a Metro Atlanta native, born 34 1/2 years ago at Northside Hospital. Which was then considered Atlanta, now I guess it's technically Sandy Springs.

We lived off of Spring Rd in Smyrna for my first 6 years, then in a desire I guess for better schools, moved to Lilburn for 6 years (the northwest side of Lilburn feeding into Meadowcreek HS, not Parkview), then again moved out to the Lawrenceville-Suwanee area before high school (was then in Collins Hill district, which was a new school). Then for another 10 years after HS I had a couple of houses around the Lawrenceville area, because I worked in Gwinnett and most of my friends were around there, and I didn't have much of a desire to live closer to the city until around 2009 or so, when I had a girlfriend in Decatur, and also at that point just started more of an understanding and appreciation of ITP and Atlanta proper. Really changed as a person during those years. Got sick of Gwinnett, while I was at it.

Then I had an apartment in Alpharetta for 2 years, near Downtown Alpharetta, and near my work. Just got tired of the commute, and I liked that area up there enough (but still wanted to live closer in.)

Then from 2014-2016 had an apartment in slightly-ITP Sandy Springs, Glenridge Dr near Roswell Rd. I absolutely loved it, and loved the location. Wish I could have bought the place. And I had a down payment saved up and was ready to buy a condo, but I wanted a 2 bedroom (for space reasons and resale reasons), and just could not find anything in my price range that I really liked in Buckhead or Sandy Springs (and I didn't want to live north of Abernathy).

But I did find something over in a nice area of slightly-ITP Vinings, bought my current place in early 2016, a 2/2 condo, and I really love this area and all my community amenities and everything. I'm really happy here. I'm a bachelor for right now, but have plenty of room and stuff in case a relationship gets serious. So I'm probably going to be here for a while, I'm thinking maybe 5 years, but we'll see how it all goes. Work locations keep moving around, so that's really the main factor.

Tallying it all up, I guess technically in my lifetime I've lived in Cobb County for about 8 years, Fulton for 4, and Gwinnett in the middle for about 22 years, in various parts of Gwinnett.

Never technically lived in DeKalb, but slept there many a weekend.

4 years so far ITP, but both locations just a little bit inside 285, and have never actually lived in the city proper. Would have if it were a little less expensive. I like to live well within my means in terms of a monthly payment, so I can eat out a lot and such.

IMO, Cobb, Fulton/Atlanta, DeKalb, and Gwinnett, all have their charms. They all have a different feel, and I like all of them. Or at least parts of all of them. I absolutely love Decatur (but who doesn't, right?)

Cobb County has really impressed me in these last couple years, after moving back here for the first time since I was 6 years old. Even though I have certain big problems with this county (namely the notorious conservatism and social-conservative blunders of history, and still no MARTA), I do love living here. It just seems like a much more compact county than Gwinnett or Fulton. And I'm just outside the edge of Atlanta proper, which is great since I do stuff in the city all the time. From my location I can get to everywhere in every direction easily, including out to Downtown Marietta which is a true gem of our metro.

Since Uber/Lyft came out a few years ago, that technology to me has made in-town much more accessible for the 'burbs. Because lord knows they never make transit any better around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 02:54 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes, I have spent years outside of Metro Atlanta and out of the U.S.

Do I come off that old???

I am what would be called "younger GenX" by the way...
Not at all. We are probably pretty close in age. You just didn't quite strike me as a 27 year old. Especially since we've been on this forum for a decade now.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:57 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Not at all. We are probably pretty close in age. You just didn't quite strike me as a 27 year old. Especially since we've been on this forum for a decade now.

I caint believe it has been a decade...

Old 12-17-2017, 05:04 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Old timers....

Old 12-17-2017, 08:43 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Old timers....

I guess so...

Old 12-18-2017, 07:56 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Not if you were zoned for Woodward Elementary. Yikes.

https://www.greatschools.org/georgia...entary-School/
I'm assuming it sort of depends on where you are in Cobb and DeKalb. Both have some great schools and some that are struggling.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:48 AM

306 posts, read 327,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I'm a Metro Atlanta native, born 34 1/2 years ago at Northside Hospital. Which was then considered Atlanta, now I guess it's technically Sandy Springs.

We lived off of Spring Rd in Smyrna for my first 6 years, then in a desire I guess for better schools, moved to Lilburn for 6 years (the northwest side of Lilburn feeding into Meadowcreek HS, not Parkview), then again moved out to the Lawrenceville-Suwanee area before high school (was then in Collins Hill district, which was a new school). Then for another 10 years after HS I had a couple of houses around the Lawrenceville area, because I worked in Gwinnett and most of my friends were around there, and I didn't have much of a desire to live closer to the city until around 2009 or so, when I had a girlfriend in Decatur, and also at that point just started more of an understanding and appreciation of ITP and Atlanta proper. Really changed as a person during those years. Got sick of Gwinnett, while I was at it.

Then I had an apartment in Alpharetta for 2 years, near Downtown Alpharetta, and near my work. Just got tired of the commute, and I liked that area up there enough (but still wanted to live closer in.)

Then from 2014-2016 had an apartment in slightly-ITP Sandy Springs, Glenridge Dr near Roswell Rd. I absolutely loved it, and loved the location. Wish I could have bought the place. And I had a down payment saved up and was ready to buy a condo, but I wanted a 2 bedroom (for space reasons and resale reasons), and just could not find anything in my price range that I really liked in Buckhead or Sandy Springs (and I didn't want to live north of Abernathy).

But I did find something over in a nice area of slightly-ITP Vinings, bought my current place in early 2016, a 2/2 condo, and I really love this area and all my community amenities and everything. I'm really happy here. I'm a bachelor for right now, but have plenty of room and stuff in case a relationship gets serious. So I'm probably going to be here for a while, I'm thinking maybe 5 years, but we'll see how it all goes. Work locations keep moving around, so that's really the main factor.

Tallying it all up, I guess technically in my lifetime I've lived in Cobb County for about 8 years, Fulton for 4, and Gwinnett in the middle for about 22 years, in various parts of Gwinnett.

Never technically lived in DeKalb, but slept there many a weekend.

4 years so far ITP, but both locations just a little bit inside 285, and have never actually lived in the city proper. Would have if it were a little less expensive. I like to live well within my means in terms of a monthly payment, so I can eat out a lot and such.

IMO, Cobb, Fulton/Atlanta, DeKalb, and Gwinnett, all have their charms. They all have a different feel, and I like all of them. Or at least parts of all of them. I absolutely love Decatur (but who doesn't, right?)

Cobb County has really impressed me in these last couple years, after moving back here for the first time since I was 6 years old. Even though I have certain big problems with this county (namely the notorious conservatism and social-conservative blunders of history, and still no MARTA), I do love living here. It just seems like a much more compact county than Gwinnett or Fulton. And I'm just outside the edge of Atlanta proper, which is great since I do stuff in the city all the time. From my location I can get to everywhere in every direction easily, including out to Downtown Marietta which is a true gem of our metro.

Since Uber/Lyft came out a few years ago, that technology to me has made in-town much more accessible for the 'burbs. Because lord knows they never make transit any better around here.
Good stuff, I am a Northside baby too! Just a few years older than ya though but not by much. So do your still work in Alpharetta? If so how is your commute from Vinings?

Old 12-18-2017, 08:55 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Took this poll back when I move back to my parents after spending my first two years living on campus at GSU. Since graduating, I moved into Atlanta.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:14 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsZ71 View Post
Good stuff, I am a Northside baby too! Just a few years older than ya though but not by much. So do your still work in Alpharetta? If so how is your commute from Vinings?
No, I did that commute for over a year, and it sucked. I would not recommend it. Braves or no Braves- turns out the Braves had little to no effect, it was just bad anyway.

Before that I did Sandy Springs to Alpharetta was acceptable (but even there 400 could take forever in the evenings.)

My last job was in Buckhead, which was close to Vinings by mile-wise, but unfortunately heavily dependent on 1-lane West Paces Ferry, so was just an OK commute. Cobb to Buckhead just doesn't have good options.

Going to be starting in January at a new company over in Perimeter, so I'm hoping the drive will be acceptable. I think they'll let me come in at 10 and leave late, so that would be a big boost to the experience.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:29 AM

1,054 posts, read 921,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm assuming it sort of depends on where you are in Cobb and DeKalb. Both have some great schools and some that are struggling.
True, but the corrupt and incompetent DCSS drags down even their best.

It is a travesty that the schools in that particular area (Cross Keys Custer) have failed so many and prevented families from living there unless they go private school. In shadow of high end Lenox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta