Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,547 times

Advertisements

I am retiring to the Atlanta area from Los Angeles. I am considering the New KB homes in Fairburn, is it safe for a 65 year old woman?

Last edited by sqla; 09-28-2007 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Clear title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 12:57 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,690 times
Fairburn is pretty safe considering it's still a small town. It's growing by leaps and bounds though, but most of the growth is middle to upper class families so crime should not be a big problem in the future either. I've been through the new KB Homes development. It's so quaint and the houses are beautiful. It reminds me of a farm community. I definitely recommend a move there!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:32 PM

160 posts, read 600,723 times
Are you talking about Hampton Oaks? Please pay close attention to the construction quality. I loved that neighborhood and was so close to buying there till I went back one last time to take a close look on my own at a spec home I was looking at. I'm not a Debbie Downer on the area like some of the posters here and am just giving my oppinion based on some prety bad workmanship that I saw and I'm by no means a construction expert. I was so disappointed because I defended them before on the board till I saw it for myself and I was thinking if they think this was show quality what is behind the walls that I don't see?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,384 times
we purchased a kb home in fairburn, georgia designed by martha stewart and we've had no problems. because of the comments about the poor quality of homes built by kb in texas and florida we were skeptical and hired an independent inspector. he was impressed with the quality of the workmanship throughout the entire house. he inspected before and after drywall and found the wiring, plumbing, roof, drywall, a/c units, studs, etc....everything built beyond what code required. he only found minor things like, recess lights with paper still attached, restrictioI've looked in hundreds of homes by the top builders, Pulte, Centex, Ryland, John Wieland ranging from 500k-2.5 million, I've looked at custom homes and never found one to perfect they all had some flaws. Use your own judgement, they key to building any new home is to make regular visits and catch stuff before it's too late. Also, consider hiring an inspector it worth the $500.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynithia View Post
we purchased a kb home in fairburn, georgia designed by martha stewart and we've had no problems. because of the comments about the poor quality of homes built by kb in texas and florida we were skeptical and hired an independent inspector. he was impressed with the quality of the workmanship throughout the entire house. he inspected before and after drywall and found the wiring, plumbing, roof, drywall, a/c units, studs, etc....everything built beyond what code required. he only found minor things like, recess lights with paper still attached, restrictioI've looked in hundreds of homes by the top builders, Pulte, Centex, Ryland, John Wieland ranging from 500k-2.5 million, I've looked at custom homes and never found one to perfect they all had some flaws. Use your own judgement, they key to building any new home is to make regular visits and catch stuff before it's too late. Also, consider hiring an inspector it worth the $500.
I do not have to hire an inspector at first. First glance at a home should tell you alot about the quality. Certain things tell you "hey this place is gonna be alot of trouble". If the roof does not have a vent at the top- which runs the length of it- RUN because you will have to replace the roof long before you should. If you look at the plumbing and see plastic PVC pipe- RUN LIKE HELL because you will have constant leaks and water damage from that cheap crap (plumbing should be COPPER pipe only). If you look at the foundation or basement walls and they are cinder blocks as opposed to poured reinforced concrete- RUN because you will have leaks and eventual failures.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,219 times
I love Fairburn. If your looking for a quiet friendly town, Fairburn is your kind of place. All cities are having problems with builder workmanship at this time. Make sure that you check out the builder. Best wishes to you

Old 03-20-2008, 07:05 AM

13 posts, read 119,646 times
What kinds of activities are there in fairburn for children? Are there any little league, boys scouts,etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: