Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 09:17 AM

101 posts, read 119,603 times

Advertisements

My wife and I along with our child are considering moving to Atlanta. We are interested in moving closer to family (Florida) and are considering Atlanta. We are a mixed family(myself Caucasian and my wife African-American) both college graduates in our mid 20s. We like the big city and currently live in Arkansas. With that these are my main questions:

Will I get the most for money by moving to Atlanta?

Is the job market inundated or is there oppurtunity?

Am I crazy for thinking about Atlanta or should I look elsewhere..lol?

Based upon those questions I certainly will have more questions later but no sense in waisting effort and time if the residents of Atlanta are seeking to go else where.

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 09:23 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
You never answered my question from your last post the other day (which was basically the same)- what type of job are you qualified for? There are certain industries that are still doing well here, while others have dried up.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 AM

I have background in both the legal and medical field. I have a Bachelors of Arts in Communications. However, I looking to teach in the public school system within the next few years.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
If you're looking to teach, you're best off looking elsewhere. Georgia's school systems have been hammered by the economy (reduced property taxes), and many districts have either had layoffs or have just not hired to replace teachers who left or retired. Unless you've got a teaching certification in math or science, your chances of getting a teaching job are slim to none, and even with that certification it won't be easy to get a job.

You're going to have to be more specific regarding the "background in both the legal and medical field" thing before anyone can tell you if there would be opportunities for you. Answering the phone at a law firm or being a medical assistant won't get you much opportunity here, while more advanced types of work in those fields might.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:55 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times
Bachelor's in Communications keep moving. If you're not STEM Atlanta has nothing for you.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:02 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrfamily View Post
I have background in both the legal and medical field. I have a Bachelors of Arts in Communications. However, I looking to teach in the public school system within the next few years.
Not happening. If you were to go out and get a degree in special education, you might land something, but that would mean you would have to teach special ed, not something else. It is tough right now and I don't foresee it getting much better.

Plus the salaries that teachers are making in metro Atlanta are stagnant or shrinking.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:17 AM

Thank you very much I will certainly weigh what has been mentioned.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:29 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,426,451 times
Get the job before moving to Atlanta (or wherever). As you will see here, it is still a very tough job market in ATL right now, good luck in your decisions in getting closer to your family geographically. You could try a smaller town like Columbus or Savannah, to be closer to Florida, did you consider that?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:47 AM

Well I certainly appreciate the info. However, the day and age of gaining secure employment prior to moving is gone sadly. Most employers will look over your resume with ease if they see an out of state address. As they are unsure of whether you will move or not. With that being said I would be remiss to say that if one has a strong career (engineer, doctor,nursing, etc) then it would be easier to gain employment prior to moving. I certainly would love to gain secure employment prior to moving however I first need to ensure where I am moving is somewhere we will like. At that point I would begin the difficult task of lining up possible interviews.

Also Savannah job market would be even smaller than where we live now

Old 07-01-2012, 12:20 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times
Let me put it like this: i have two bachelor's two Masters including an MSW. I have fifteen years of social work experience. For five of those years I supervised Masters level social workers exclusively. I've been here IN ATLANTA for four years without finding a job. I've been offered salaries less than I was making ten years ago in a small town in Alabama. If you're not an rngineer or software programmer o not come here. Do not even THINK of coming here without a job. There are hundreds of people for very job opening and the slaries reflect that. Cost of living does not match the salaries. I undertand wanting yo be lose to family, but this is NOT THE PLACE. Why don't you go where your family is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: