Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 05:34 PM

217 posts, read 410,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
dude last time ti checked I was a human. I don't do what Atlanta people do so you have to come from a different angle. Its not like I'm mad at Atlanta culture, its just funny sometimes. Nothing human about it.
I think what WoX is trying to say is that there's no place you can go where you won't find some people who act like that. They're not doing it because of where they live, they're doing it because that's just one of an infinite number of shortcomings that human beings can have. Sometimes on Facebook I see posts and photos from a few people I went to high school with who were pretentious, status-conscious and brand-obsessed in a small town in Tennessee and remain that way 20 years later and spread out all over the country.

When I first moved here from Memphis, I remember being really puzzled by how so many things in Atlanta were straining to be "fancy." In Memphis you don't see the word exclusive/celebrity/VIP/luxury/designer slapped on every birdhouse and ham sandwich you come across like it is here. But in Memphis I certainly knew people living with their parents so they could spend every dime they made on a brand-new car or living in big apartments with not much more than a bed, a TV, a card table, a couple of folding chairs and a microwave. Plenty of people there were making $10 an hour, but getting credit cards so they could buy a DVD player back when they cost $500 or be the first among their friends to have a cell phone or digital camera. Different time, different place, same behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,751,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Yeah, stuff like that doesn't happen in NYC or Miami or DC or {insert any other city on the planet here}. You're fooling yourself if you don't realize this is a human trait.
Exactly.

Booker T. Washington spoke of this behavior over a century ago in "Up From Slavery" during his time in DC with bellhops who spent most of their pay to ride a carriage or the others rented pianos in their homes to fit in. Nothing has changed at all.

A lot of African Americans do it to show white america and "lower class blacks" that they have "arrived." It happens all over the country so I don't know why people seem want to harp on Atlanta like it is some unique situation...

Old 06-14-2012, 03:14 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,608,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
I think what WoX is trying to say is that there's no place you can go where you won't find some people who act like that. They're not doing it because of where they live, they're doing it because that's just one of an infinite number of shortcomings that human beings can have. Sometimes on Facebook I see posts and photos from a few people I went to high school with who were pretentious, status-conscious and brand-obsessed in a small town in Tennessee and remain that way 20 years later and spread out all over the country.

When I first moved here from Memphis, I remember being really puzzled by how so many things in Atlanta were straining to be "fancy." In Memphis you don't see the word exclusive/celebrity/VIP/luxury/designer slapped on every birdhouse and ham sandwich you come across like it is here. But in Memphis I certainly knew people living with their parents so they could spend every dime they made on a brand-new car or living in big apartments with not much more than a bed, a TV, a card table, a couple of folding chairs and a microwave. Plenty of people there were making $10 an hour, but getting credit cards so they could buy a DVD player back when they cost $500 or be the first among their friends to have a cell phone or digital camera. Different time, different place, same behavior.
I keep saying Atlanta Culture for a reason. You do know what culture means right?

Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,903,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
Is it lonely up there on that high horse?

Although, there are several points I agree with, I don't think that the problem is somehow based or based solely in Atlanta. I live in Buckhead and frequent a few 'upmarket' establishments. It's the exception, not the norm to see pretentious displays of wealth.

Also I know several people who could be described as 'Barbie Dolls,' one being my very best friend actually, who are incredibly smart. One should be careful not to label another so quickly on how they appear or are perceived.
ericsonga. I'm not sitting on a high horse. Let me clarify that I don't think all "barbie dolls" are not intelligent. I think that's far from true. I always give people the benefit of the doubt but when certain behaviors are displayed I have to call it like it is. Glad you agreed with some of my thoughts.

I also agree Atlanta is not alone when it comes to this situation. I always say similar situations are often packaged differently depending on your location however the scenario is still the same.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,294,694 times
This thread is great. but to comment on the general tone on thread....

People need to stop trying to divorce social identity from material goods. Yes, we buy expensive things to impress others, not because we are weak, but primarily social animals. if i make 15 dollars an hour and buy a benz, that may be a stupid financial decision, but it puts me a step up the social ladder.it puts me in the faces of more important people(read rich) and presents me the oppurtunity to approach them without them being defensive thinking i want something(even if that is my intent).appearances matter, our indentity isnt limited to our introspection.

i guess id just say go ahead and be materialistic Atlantans, just have a character that can sustain and benefit from that lifestyle socially.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:35 PM

37,955 posts, read 42,352,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Excellent point that gets forgotten by many black people, especially the so-called "leaders of the black community."

This especially comes to play when we have political campaigns that take the black vote for granted on the Democrat side. The assumption is that all black people have the same opinions and self-interests, which is not the case. Guys like Herman Cain end up taking more heat from the "black community" and its so-called leaders than they do from anyone in the white community.
I don't think mentioning Cain does anything for your argument, given the things he's said about Black folks in general (i.e., they/we have the same values and thought-patterns when it comes to political issues in particular).

Old 06-17-2012, 09:55 AM

32,063 posts, read 37,028,726 times
Atlanta is no more status conscious than any other big city. There may be subgroups who obsess on that kind of stuff but you'll find that everywhere.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:54 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,608,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Atlanta is no more status conscious than any other big city. There may be subgroups who obsess on that kind of stuff but you'll find that everywhere.
let you tell it. Atlanta does have that type of culture.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:02 PM

32,063 posts, read 37,028,726 times
Quote:
let you tell it. Atlanta does have that type of culture.
Will all respect, FlyiMetro, maybe you are hanging with the wrong crowd, or giving them too much credence. If they are et up with themselves, it may be time to find a new crew.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:14 PM

217 posts, read 410,723 times
Quote:
I keep saying Atlanta Culture for a reason. You do know what culture means right?
I'm pretty sure I do know what culture means, which is why I'm also pretty sure that there's no single "Atlanta culture."

I've only lived in four places, but none of them were lacking a segment of the population whose foremost ambition in life was to call attention to themselves. In a metro area of about 5 million people, if only 2 percent of them are "Look at meee!" types, that's still 100,000 obnoxious, ostentatious people. And with the self-promotion that reality TV and the internet allow, it can feel like you're surrounded by those 100,000 people. People like that are probably also drawn to certain lines of work, certain neighborhoods, stores and social events. If your life involves interacting with people in those professions or spending time in those places, it might seem like everyone you run into is like that.

Last edited by PedestriAnne; 06-17-2012 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta