Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
I have been a lifelong ATL resident except for some short stints in Manhattan and a brief yet woeful time in the sticks of NW GA (I'm a city girl!) here's some ATL stories I remember from my childhood:

+riding MARTA after school to the downtown library (we didn't have bus service at our private school,and during the Wayne Williams era riding Marta & waiting at the library was considered safer than hanging out at a park or walking to a friends' house) to wait for our parents to pick us up...after Peachtree Center opened, we loved getting off at this stop so we could ride the super long escalator and check out the exposed granite walls. Downtown fascinated us because it was largely empty and we would gawk at all the old buildings.

+ the whole "SAWB" (smart a** white boy) flak after Mayor Young's statements regarding the Mondale campaign. I remember tshirts/white buttons with this abbreviation on it. I asked my mom what it meant and she said "its people being hateful." She always told off the people trying to give her a button, as it was merely adding fuel to the fire.

+the huge influx of Vietnamese refugees after the end of the Vietnam war. Our church had a Vietnamese priest and we would hold "yard sales" where congregation donated items and the refugees could come and pick out whatever they needed to help out with their new lives. Our church helped set up a Vietnamese church near Conley/Thurmond rd. Camouflage was banned at our school because it was thought to be traumatizing to those who had lived through the war.

+most of my schoolmates were military brats associated with Ft. Mac or Ft. Gillem, so I would sometimes only see friends part of the year as their parents were reassigned; or they would be gone for a couple years then would be back. In school watched all the crazy nuclear movies like The Day After and had to do bombing/nuclear bomb duck&cover drills...we also learned about what to do in the event of a kidnapping or hostage situation since apparently the presence of officers' brats made our school a potential security threat.

+ We had a lot of Delta and Piedmont Airlines employees as parents, so there were a lot of field trips to the airport. I remember the crazy Robo train (which I thought had something to do with the Pac-Man fever song due to the similar effect). There was an annual field trip experience where kids who had never flown could buy a really cheap ($20 I think!) roundtrip tkt on Delta to fly to Greenville so you could experience a flight. My very first flight was on Piedmont Airlines...I was too scared to walk down the metal stairs to the tarmac so the captain carried me down while my mom carried my infant sister.

+I loved going to the old Scotts antiques market before it moved to the new location and became more expensive and filled with interior decorators selling new items. The old Lakewood fleamarket/antiques market was even better!!

+the midtown plaza was fairly new-- I think there was a gas station there before...we used to meet up with our "public school friends" and eat at Woodys.

+Flossie, the singing carhop at the Varsity, was as much of an ATL staple as Baton Bob or Blondie! RIP...

+My mom was an usher at the Fox and very much involved with the campaign to keep it from being torn down. I remember meeting "The Phantom of the Fox" who showed us his private apartments.

+RIO Mall off North Ave was the coolest place with all its weird 80s deco architecture and the pond with all the frog statues. Several friends in a local band (The Changelings) wrote a song about the Frogs awakening and destroying the city godzilla-like upon the command of the strange metal orb that was the central sculpture in the mall. Someone I knew absconded with one of the statues after the property was being torn down-- last I saw it was in a bar,but its been out of sight in recent years.

+I remember seeing movies & eating food at the old Excelsior Mill theatre where the Masquerade is now. I also remember the old music midtown on the big hilly area where all the 10-14th St. skyscrapers are now. This area was largely old houses which were either run down or broken up into too many apartments filled with Tech/GSU students and transients. We also saw movies at the Starlight drive-in...so glad this place is still hanging in there!

+Pretty much hung out constantly at the old 688/Weekends/Nocturnia...sort of fitting it is a drug-testing place now! Other venues: the old midtown music hall (now the pool room at the Highlander--I miss all the "missing pet" posters that used to decorate the place), the point (where clothing warehouse is now in L5P), Metroplex, Cotton Club (I believe all clubs started enforcing carding after the GA Tech student drowned at Pmont after a show here) and (more recently) the space-age decor of the Echo Lounge in E Atlanta. Petrus and Axys in midtown were fabulous clubs, as was the Limelight of course. But one of my favorite venues (where white folks seldom ventured) was and still is the Royal Peacock on Auburn-- we saw several incredible dancehall artists here.

+As a young girl, we received "protocol" lessons (more like charm school!)at school on proper posture, letter writing, hospitality (place settings, recognizing military rank by symbols/badges), and had practice luncheons at Pittypat's Porch, Paschals, Mary Macs', the Colonnade, and the Magnolia Room at the Rich's downtown. Riding the pink pig was like the Atlantan child's rite of passage!

+Shopping highlights included the old sears catalogue bldg on ponce, bargainata, the old Junkman's Daughter/Princess Pamelas, Wax n Facts, Loehmann's, and the fifth floor closeout sales at Rich's.

+I remember watching a plane spell out PEPSI in the sky when Michael Jackson & the Jackson 5 performed in ?1985...a lot of my neighhors felt this was blasphemy in a Coke town! One of my neighbors told me how Coca Cola paid her teacher's salary (during the depression maybe?) when the city couldn't afford to do so...

+LIGHT UP ATLANTA! this was an effort to get people to come back downtown in the early 80's...sort of a first friday type event to rehab the core part of the city after the "murder capital" era. Downtown was largely empty after the govt workers went home. Big spotlights would circle over all the darkened skyscrapers, and the buildings would light up floor by floor.

+I remember all the old shotgun homes, abandoned and overgrown, in the old Vine City area before they built the Dome. Before the Ted was built, that area was really depressed too...left for dead in the wake of progress northward to midtown. I had friends who were considered "crazy" to buy the dilapidated old homes in Grant Park. One friend paid $40K for hers and its now worth $300K. The area looks totally different except on the southern edges.

+My parents took me to the grand opening of the first Home Depot and to the new Gwinnett Mall (I thought we were driving to NC as it seemed to be so far out in the country!).

+I lived on Feld Ave in Decatur/Kirkwood back in the late 90s. "Gentrification" had *barely* begun-- there were a lot of drug-related criminals who prowled the area. Literally, one side of our street had fixed up houses with neighborhood banners & newly landscaped yards, typically bought by young gay couples (white and black) who could not afford downtown decatur or inman park. The other side was still very "rough." Our apts were razed to build a new condo complex. We moved to Tzafyville on 13th street in midtown and lived there most of the 2000s (during the 112/Velvet Room/Vision era) until we bought a house in Adams Park (pre-bubble burst).

+I often volunteered with local cemeteries and historical preservation groups to help preserve old cemeteries. While Oakland became very popular as a grass-roots cause, I was also very partial to the stunning Westview, the incredibly diverse Greenview (near my current home in Cascade- Greek Orthodox, Chinese Freemason, and of course the huge Jewish sections with the incredible Memorial to the Six Million), and the historic Southview.

+I remember being completely bored at Braves games during the 80s, yet stuck with them, and survived all the heart attack playoff games of the 1990s.

+going to Manny's with my parents, who were friends with old AJC editors and political figures, and listening to Manny himself rail against various hotbuttons of the day.

+eating Buffalo wings at Taco Mac's in Virginia Highlands (a huge novelty to my Buffalo-born parents), being scared of the gators at the old Dante's Down the Hatch in the old Underground, listening to the harpist play at the Abbey restaurant(now a church again) across from the Mansion (now SCAD/condos), eating Ethiopian at the Blue Nile, ice cream at Gorin's in VA-HI,and wondering what the heck the mock-meat "fried flamingo" was at Golden Buddha on 10th. $1 coke in a bottle and $1 "Our Daily Bread" loaf at Bridgetown grill in L5P kept me from starving during college.

+you were supercool during my single digit years if you had your birthday party dinner at Benihana's, Nakato, Circus Playhouse (sort of like Chuck-e-Cheese's, but much better!), and then went to the roller rink.

+Z93 used to play top 40 pop, and 96 rock was all classic rock. The "bad" boys in the neighborhood drove black t-top trans ams with the gold bird or Z-28s with the 96 rock tag turned upside down on the front. Album 88 & WREK were *the* places to find out about obscure music genres (and still are...). WQXI was an all-oldies am station that never strayed from its 50s-early 70s format.

+I remember when they boarded up the slide at Piedmont Park...sad day! I also remember the old Piedmont Golf Course shutting down. The woods of the Botanical Garden where the canopy walk were well-known for gay cruising...they had a funny nickname--anyone remember? Went well with Cheshire Bridge Rd. being known as Vaseline Valley.

+An older friend told me that during the red-light district years of Ponce de leon, swingers would hang out at a club which is now Eats. They used to have community hottubs there apparently!

+The ford factory lofts were one of the first (that I can recall) loft conversions in ATL...we had the rooftop unit there, and would watch all sorts of mayhem in the Kroger parking lot and across the street during MJQ's heyday after it moved there. Speaking of Kroger, various Kroger stores around town had nicknames: Disco Kroger (most famous) on Piedmont, Murder Kroger (Ponce), and--I have heard this from people of various background--Krogerdishu (Citicenter off Metropolitan/Stewart Ave). I remember going to the Citicenter on RDA and being fascinated by the idea of shops inside a grocery store long before I ever set foot in a Wal-Mart. Kroger was considered high-dollar by my parents-- they would buy staples at Thriftown and knew all the places to find men selling fresh veggies from their truckbeds before local farmers markets caught back on.

+I will never forget the insane traffic/all out decadence of Freaknik in the 90's. It must seem like a crazy lie to young kids! The cartoon-musical that came out a few years back is a pretty hilarious take on this phenomenon. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was for the city to shut down the expressway exits to try to keep partygoers away.

+we were hanging out downtown when the Olympic Park bombing happened (hello...24/7 alcohol and hot international athletes!)-- most chaotic thing I've ever experienced. I had no idea we had that many sirened vehicles!! I also remember how the city seemed to cough up public art overnight.

+as a kid I remember the old sad ATL zoo, with the animals in cement cages and Willie B watching his tv. It made me hate zoos as a kid. I appreciate conservation efforts now, and think our zoo is a treasure. I am still on the fence about the aquarium...I like Chattanooga's better. But I am grateful the city is focusing on eliminating some of the empty carparks downtown and hopefully will continue to heal the wound caused by "cutting off" the westside with the Dome/GWCC.

+I remember when there was more than one news/traffic helicopter (I think Captn Herb is all that's left?)-- every day during rush hour several would fly over our backyard and we would wave to the cameramen hanging off the side. I was always in awe of Monica Kaufmann-Pearson's changing hair styles. I remember Bebe Emermen's helmet-hair from WSB and Guy Sharpe on 11Alive.

+We used to love trying to stump Franklin Garrett, or call out our random neighborhood names for him to give us a nugget of local history.

Growing up and living here, I have always appreciated the diversity of ATL. In NYC you have to still go to certain areas of town to find certain heritages / cuisine, where as in ATL you get everything in a small area. I worked as a courier for many years here and saw tons of the city that are off the beaten path, at all hours of the night. The tumultuous ups and downs of the city make me respect everyone's personal history and I am dismayed by the assumptions and judgment I see/hear sometimes. Going forward, I hope we are getting better at not discounting the historic character and culture of an area just because it doesn't look like some large investment property firm's vision of cookie-cutter intown living (big brand name stores, a few artsy lofts, a few upscale condos, that could be plopped in the middle of anywhere without any local touch). I love the idea of the beltline and hope people who are not as familiar with some of the small neighborhoods along its path take the time to explore and appreciate our history, good and bad, in order to give better context to our future as a city.
Great post...and great Atlanta history lesson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Great post...and great Atlanta history lesson
It sure is! Thanks, Mal93.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 AM

986 posts, read 1,665,774 times
Awww man....these posts make me homesick. FILA - Forever I Love Atlanta!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:20 PM

449 posts, read 1,175,635 times
Man the 90's ATL days were legendary.

the 559 on the West End was like the most legendary "hood" night club in ATL ever. Kilo Ali's "Organized Bass" album was also everywhere in '97.

Everyone from Puff Daddy, Nas, Eric Sermon, Too Short, to MC Breed came down to live in ATL or frequent the night spots.

Great times.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:06 PM

284 posts, read 590,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It sure is! Thanks, Mal93.

Thank you so much arjay57&Glovenyc! I have lurked here for a while and find everyone's questions & curiosity about the ATL so invigorating. I think our city is once again entering a key phase of cultural development that is uniquely defined by the local community's vision...So I plan to speak up more

Old 05-09-2012, 02:29 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,988,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by complex30030 View Post
During the early to mid 90’s, many of my friends where swapping out their S-Curls or boxes for braids, ponytails, afros, or tight fades. We used to ride Marta to Five Points very frequently. The store that is on Decatur Street called Phat Gear used to be inside the Five Point Flea Market (now called the Mall at Five Points). It was still pretty hood then, but I guess because I’m older, it seems a little worse now. We’d also visit a store called Focus and get Ecko t-shirts that came with mixtapes featuring hot underground artists. Everywhere we went was based on whether it was on the Marta line… so much so, that when I started driving, I kind of had to relearn how to get around. During the summer, many kids used to catch the train to Hightower Station to go to Six Flags with no money at all. We’d just talk some girls into wetting their re-entrance stamp and pressing it against the back of our hands to get in.

Gangs were really big in the nineties and most people I know where either claiming or had a working knowledge of Crips and/or Folks. Bloods were not as popular at the time. Nowadays, it seems kind of played out amongst black teens. While many young minorities today want to be rappers, in the nineties in Atlanta, there were very few (good) rappers, but quite a few guys would get together to form dance groups… by dance groups, I mean choreographed (all male) booty shaking dance groups. There was a show called Atlanta Jams that simply highlighted teenagers dancing at a club on Candler Rd. I don’t remember the name of it. But I remember everybody doing the same side-to-side dance in every episode. Of course, there was also American Rap Maker (later American Music Maker) with Arnell Starr and Planet Rocks.

Many young urban kids wore bright colorful Tommy Hilfiger and Nautica outfits. Many with matching baseball style hats with the bills flipped up. They wore bright multi-colored swimming trunks as shorts. Alternatively, kids often wore Dickies and t-shirts or entire Dickies suits. Some with airbrushed baseball caps.

I remember waiting for the train most frequently at Kensington Station, Decatur Station, Indian Creek, Five Points, Avondale, and Lenox Station and watching kids having Bankhead Bounce battles in which they would imitate smoking, fishing, playing golf, hitting a baseball, fighting, or throwing fireballs like Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter. My house was often packed with kids playing Street Fighter 2 on Super Nintendo.

We’d go to the Omni (which is now the CNN Center) and go to the video game arcade inside. I also used to frequent the video game arcades in South DeKalb Mall and Underground Atlanta. I was mostly on Street Fighter 2 Turbo Edition or Marvel vs. Capcom. Older kids used to bet money on who would win or lose. Downtown was the central location of most of Atlanta’s predominantly African-American hoods. I met many people from East Point, College Park, Kirkwood, East Lake, East Atlanta, the West End, Cascade, Clarkston, Scottdale, and SW Atlanta downtown, even though I was living in Lithonia. When bored, it seemed like entire neighborhoods (of kids) would say, “Let’s go downtown”. So you could imagine the mobs of black teens that would congregate there on a sunny Saturday afternoon. I would imagine that it would make some that are not used to the sight quite nervous. Some were insulted by that. Others relished in it.

On several occasions, I've been lost on the Marta bus trying to get to Northlake Mall (off the Marta train line)… we’d visit Lenox frequently just to people watch and talk to the girls using a wad of money (mostly ones with a big bill on top) that I would never spend. Avondale Station used to be the last station on the east bound Marta line. The buses would take you from there all the way to Lithonia.

In terms of nightlife, the Atrium (on Memorial Drive in Stone Mountain) was pretty big as I’ve seen the likes of Erykah Badu, KRS-One, the Lost Boyz, the Liks, Boot Camp Clik, CNN, and many others perform there. Clubs in the same basic location called Flava and Club Prestige were pretty popular also. I was friends with Swiss (now Swiss Beatz) who went to Stone Mountain High School. I also was there when a crew from Mobb Deep shot at Tupac at a club near the corner of Glenwood and Columbia Dr. called The Gate. They mention the incident in a song. We also went to see Eightball and MJG there, but they cancelled, so it turned into a bootyshaking contest. My brother was 13 and was with me, but couldn’t see any thing because the stage was extra high and he was extra short… but at the time he described it as the night of his life. We also saw the likes of Method Man and Keith Murray at the same location. Years later, that same brother was jumped while waiting for a bus on Glenwood near Second Ave. in front of East Lake Meadows, (back when it was Little Vietnam). People from the mosque across the street came to help him out. He later received a full scholarship to Emory and now lives off North Druid Hills.

During the mid-90’s, there was large influx of people from NYC, which caused tensions between teenagers from the north and the south. The northerners often called Atlanta natives “Georgia Boys” or more condescendingly “bamas”. They referred to the music they listened to as country music. However, Pastor Troy and DSGB made an anthem for the south and soon the south (Atlanta in particular) began to take over in terms of music.

Popular artists where Kilo Ali and the So-So Def Bass All-Stars. Freak-Nik was in full swing during these years and increased in wildness until it was eventually shut down. It got so crazy that even the black people in it were saying that it was too wild. I just remember mobs of kids and young adults walking down Peachtree Street at 3am chanting “There’s only five years left!” from Busta Rhymes. [They were concerned about a New World Order in the year 2000.] It sounds crazy now, but at the time, it was quite a sight. Popular artist also included DJ Kizzy Rock and kids used to go the Candler Rd Flea Market (now called the Candler Road Discount Mall) to get DJ Jelly mixtapes and King Edward J Pillow Bass mixtapes (these basically consisted of slow jams remixed with block beating bass). Cadillacs were more popular than Chevys amongst the type of crowd that now likes Chevys. Kids did dances like the East Lake, the Rag Top, the Get Out, the East Side Stomp (later called the A-town Stomp), and of course, the Bankhead Bounce. I guess Atlanta has always been in the forefront of inventing some regionally popular dance crazes.

We used to hang out at the first house on the right just south of I-20 on Boulevard near Grant Park. In fact, we called the guy who used to live there Boulevard. I never knew his real name. We used to kick it in East Atlanta a lot. In fact, you would often find us on the corner of Stokeswood and Ormewood Ave. My stepbrother’s mom bought the house for $60k. Now it is worth over $250k. They still own it. You'd occasional catch us in the West End, but most of our time was spent in “The Dec”. Often along Candler, Glenwood, and McAfee. This is before cell phones, so kids would go to the local beeper spot to pay their $10 monthly fee or get designer cases. The entire Stonecrest area did not exist. To us, anything past Evans Mill was way out in the country... and if you couldn't get there by Marta, it was NOT in Atlanta.

When Outkast and Goodie Mob came out, they were incredibly popular and influential in Atlanta. They created a pride in Atlanta similar to the Braves going the World Series or Mike Vick in his prime. It was not until then, that I considered Atlanta a large city. Honestly, I used to diss Atlanta in favor of Chicago, Boston, or NYC before the mid-nineties. Now I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else. In the later 1990s, I would park at the Indian Creek Train station or Kensington station and commute to GSU. While attending GSU, I would walk around at LOT. I’d walk from GSU campus to Utrecht’s near the midtown Vortex and back stopping by different restaurants for lunch along the way. I’d often stop by Earwax, Criminal Records, and I’d also frequent a music spot called Vibes that use to sit above the Decatur Marta station. There was another spot on Peachtree St. in midtown next to Club Kaya, but I forgot what it was called.

While at GSU, I was classmates with Chris Bridges (aka Chris Luva Luva aka Ludacris). I also met Biggie at the airport while listening to his first album on my walkman. You were considered a boss if you took your girl to the Sundial and spent a night or two at the downtown Westin. Cool spots changed from one to another. We went from kicking it at South DeKalb to Lenox to L5P. From going to the movies at the corner of Covington Hwy. and Panola Rd., to South DeKalb, to LaVista Road, to North DeKalb, to Lenox, to the spot on the 85 Access Rd., to Atlantic Station.

Currently, I am a professor at Morehouse and Spelman colleges. I still own that Lithonia home. Plus I have rental property in Edgewood and the West End. My family and I reside in Oakhurst, Decatur, Ga. Just off South McDonough. Just one man's story of growing up in the A. Thanks for your time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal93 View Post
I have been a lifelong ATL resident except for some short stints in Manhattan and a brief yet woeful time in the sticks of NW GA (I'm a city girl!) here's some ATL stories I remember from my childhood:

+riding MARTA after school to the downtown library (we didn't have bus service at our private school,and during the Wayne Williams era riding Marta & waiting at the library was considered safer than hanging out at a park or walking to a friends' house) to wait for our parents to pick us up...after Peachtree Center opened, we loved getting off at this stop so we could ride the super long escalator and check out the exposed granite walls. Downtown fascinated us because it was largely empty and we would gawk at all the old buildings.

+ the whole "SAWB" (smart a** white boy) flak after Mayor Young's statements regarding the Mondale campaign. I remember tshirts/white buttons with this abbreviation on it. I asked my mom what it meant and she said "its people being hateful." She always told off the people trying to give her a button, as it was merely adding fuel to the fire.

+the huge influx of Vietnamese refugees after the end of the Vietnam war. Our church had a Vietnamese priest and we would hold "yard sales" where congregation donated items and the refugees could come and pick out whatever they needed to help out with their new lives. Our church helped set up a Vietnamese church near Conley/Thurmond rd. Camouflage was banned at our school because it was thought to be traumatizing to those who had lived through the war.

+most of my schoolmates were military brats associated with Ft. Mac or Ft. Gillem, so I would sometimes only see friends part of the year as their parents were reassigned; or they would be gone for a couple years then would be back. In school watched all the crazy nuclear movies like The Day After and had to do bombing/nuclear bomb duck&cover drills...we also learned about what to do in the event of a kidnapping or hostage situation since apparently the presence of officers' brats made our school a potential security threat.

+ We had a lot of Delta and Piedmont Airlines employees as parents, so there were a lot of field trips to the airport. I remember the crazy Robo train (which I thought had something to do with the Pac-Man fever song due to the similar effect). There was an annual field trip experience where kids who had never flown could buy a really cheap ($20 I think!) roundtrip tkt on Delta to fly to Greenville so you could experience a flight. My very first flight was on Piedmont Airlines...I was too scared to walk down the metal stairs to the tarmac so the captain carried me down while my mom carried my infant sister.

+I loved going to the old Scotts antiques market before it moved to the new location and became more expensive and filled with interior decorators selling new items. The old Lakewood fleamarket/antiques market was even better!!

+the midtown plaza was fairly new-- I think there was a gas station there before...we used to meet up with our "public school friends" and eat at Woodys.

+Flossie, the singing carhop at the Varsity, was as much of an ATL staple as Baton Bob or Blondie! RIP...

+My mom was an usher at the Fox and very much involved with the campaign to keep it from being torn down. I remember meeting "The Phantom of the Fox" who showed us his private apartments.

+RIO Mall off North Ave was the coolest place with all its weird 80s deco architecture and the pond with all the frog statues. Several friends in a local band (The Changelings) wrote a song about the Frogs awakening and destroying the city godzilla-like upon the command of the strange metal orb that was the central sculpture in the mall. Someone I knew absconded with one of the statues after the property was being torn down-- last I saw it was in a bar,but its been out of sight in recent years.

+I remember seeing movies & eating food at the old Excelsior Mill theatre where the Masquerade is now. I also remember the old music midtown on the big hilly area where all the 10-14th St. skyscrapers are now. This area was largely old houses which were either run down or broken up into too many apartments filled with Tech/GSU students and transients. We also saw movies at the Starlight drive-in...so glad this place is still hanging in there!

+Pretty much hung out constantly at the old 688/Weekends/Nocturnia...sort of fitting it is a drug-testing place now! Other venues: the old midtown music hall (now the pool room at the Highlander--I miss all the "missing pet" posters that used to decorate the place), the point (where clothing warehouse is now in L5P), Metroplex, Cotton Club (I believe all clubs started enforcing carding after the GA Tech student drowned at Pmont after a show here) and (more recently) the space-age decor of the Echo Lounge in E Atlanta. Petrus and Axys in midtown were fabulous clubs, as was the Limelight of course. But one of my favorite venues (where white folks seldom ventured) was and still is the Royal Peacock on Auburn-- we saw several incredible dancehall artists here.

+As a young girl, we received "protocol" lessons (more like charm school!)at school on proper posture, letter writing, hospitality (place settings, recognizing military rank by symbols/badges), and had practice luncheons at Pittypat's Porch, Paschals, Mary Macs', the Colonnade, and the Magnolia Room at the Rich's downtown. Riding the pink pig was like the Atlantan child's rite of passage!

+Shopping highlights included the old sears catalogue bldg on ponce, bargainata, the old Junkman's Daughter/Princess Pamelas, Wax n Facts, Loehmann's, and the fifth floor closeout sales at Rich's.

+I remember watching a plane spell out PEPSI in the sky when Michael Jackson & the Jackson 5 performed in ?1985...a lot of my neighhors felt this was blasphemy in a Coke town! One of my neighbors told me how Coca Cola paid her teacher's salary (during the depression maybe?) when the city couldn't afford to do so...

+LIGHT UP ATLANTA! this was an effort to get people to come back downtown in the early 80's...sort of a first friday type event to rehab the core part of the city after the "murder capital" era. Downtown was largely empty after the govt workers went home. Big spotlights would circle over all the darkened skyscrapers, and the buildings would light up floor by floor.

+I remember all the old shotgun homes, abandoned and overgrown, in the old Vine City area before they built the Dome. Before the Ted was built, that area was really depressed too...left for dead in the wake of progress northward to midtown. I had friends who were considered "crazy" to buy the dilapidated old homes in Grant Park. One friend paid $40K for hers and its now worth $300K. The area looks totally different except on the southern edges.

+My parents took me to the grand opening of the first Home Depot and to the new Gwinnett Mall (I thought we were driving to NC as it seemed to be so far out in the country!).

+I lived on Feld Ave in Decatur/Kirkwood back in the late 90s. "Gentrification" had *barely* begun-- there were a lot of drug-related criminals who prowled the area. Literally, one side of our street had fixed up houses with neighborhood banners & newly landscaped yards, typically bought by young gay couples (white and black) who could not afford downtown decatur or inman park. The other side was still very "rough." Our apts were razed to build a new condo complex. We moved to Tzafyville on 13th street in midtown and lived there most of the 2000s (during the 112/Velvet Room/Vision era) until we bought a house in Adams Park (pre-bubble burst).

+I often volunteered with local cemeteries and historical preservation groups to help preserve old cemeteries. While Oakland became very popular as a grass-roots cause, I was also very partial to the stunning Westview, the incredibly diverse Greenview (near my current home in Cascade- Greek Orthodox, Chinese Freemason, and of course the huge Jewish sections with the incredible Memorial to the Six Million), and the historic Southview.

+I remember being completely bored at Braves games during the 80s, yet stuck with them, and survived all the heart attack playoff games of the 1990s.

+going to Manny's with my parents, who were friends with old AJC editors and political figures, and listening to Manny himself rail against various hotbuttons of the day.

+eating Buffalo wings at Taco Mac's in Virginia Highlands (a huge novelty to my Buffalo-born parents), being scared of the gators at the old Dante's Down the Hatch in the old Underground, listening to the harpist play at the Abbey restaurant(now a church again) across from the Mansion (now SCAD/condos), eating Ethiopian at the Blue Nile, ice cream at Gorin's in VA-HI,and wondering what the heck the mock-meat "fried flamingo" was at Golden Buddha on 10th. $1 coke in a bottle and $1 "Our Daily Bread" loaf at Bridgetown grill in L5P kept me from starving during college.

+you were supercool during my single digit years if you had your birthday party dinner at Benihana's, Nakato, Circus Playhouse (sort of like Chuck-e-Cheese's, but much better!), and then went to the roller rink.

+Z93 used to play top 40 pop, and 96 rock was all classic rock. The "bad" boys in the neighborhood drove black t-top trans ams with the gold bird or Z-28s with the 96 rock tag turned upside down on the front. Album 88 & WREK were *the* places to find out about obscure music genres (and still are...). WQXI was an all-oldies am station that never strayed from its 50s-early 70s format.

+I remember when they boarded up the slide at Piedmont Park...sad day! I also remember the old Piedmont Golf Course shutting down. The woods of the Botanical Garden where the canopy walk were well-known for gay cruising...they had a funny nickname--anyone remember? Went well with Cheshire Bridge Rd. being known as Vaseline Valley.

+An older friend told me that during the red-light district years of Ponce de leon, swingers would hang out at a club which is now Eats. They used to have community hottubs there apparently!

+The ford factory lofts were one of the first (that I can recall) loft conversions in ATL...we had the rooftop unit there, and would watch all sorts of mayhem in the Kroger parking lot and across the street during MJQ's heyday after it moved there. Speaking of Kroger, various Kroger stores around town had nicknames: Disco Kroger (most famous) on Piedmont, Murder Kroger (Ponce), and--I have heard this from people of various background--Krogerdishu (Citicenter off Metropolitan/Stewart Ave). I remember going to the Citicenter on RDA and being fascinated by the idea of shops inside a grocery store long before I ever set foot in a Wal-Mart. Kroger was considered high-dollar by my parents-- they would buy staples at Thriftown and knew all the places to find men selling fresh veggies from their truckbeds before local farmers markets caught back on.

+I will never forget the insane traffic/all out decadence of Freaknik in the 90's. It must seem like a crazy lie to young kids! The cartoon-musical that came out a few years back is a pretty hilarious take on this phenomenon. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was for the city to shut down the expressway exits to try to keep partygoers away.

+we were hanging out downtown when the Olympic Park bombing happened (hello...24/7 alcohol and hot international athletes!)-- most chaotic thing I've ever experienced. I had no idea we had that many sirened vehicles!! I also remember how the city seemed to cough up public art overnight.

+as a kid I remember the old sad ATL zoo, with the animals in cement cages and Willie B watching his tv. It made me hate zoos as a kid. I appreciate conservation efforts now, and think our zoo is a treasure. I am still on the fence about the aquarium...I like Chattanooga's better. But I am grateful the city is focusing on eliminating some of the empty carparks downtown and hopefully will continue to heal the wound caused by "cutting off" the westside with the Dome/GWCC.

+I remember when there was more than one news/traffic helicopter (I think Captn Herb is all that's left?)-- every day during rush hour several would fly over our backyard and we would wave to the cameramen hanging off the side. I was always in awe of Monica Kaufmann-Pearson's changing hair styles. I remember Bebe Emermen's helmet-hair from WSB and Guy Sharpe on 11Alive.

+We used to love trying to stump Franklin Garrett, or call out our random neighborhood names for him to give us a nugget of local history.

Growing up and living here, I have always appreciated the diversity of ATL. In NYC you have to still go to certain areas of town to find certain heritages / cuisine, where as in ATL you get everything in a small area. I worked as a courier for many years here and saw tons of the city that are off the beaten path, at all hours of the night. The tumultuous ups and downs of the city make me respect everyone's personal history and I am dismayed by the assumptions and judgment I see/hear sometimes. Going forward, I hope we are getting better at not discounting the historic character and culture of an area just because it doesn't look like some large investment property firm's vision of cookie-cutter intown living (big brand name stores, a few artsy lofts, a few upscale condos, that could be plopped in the middle of anywhere without any local touch). I love the idea of the beltline and hope people who are not as familiar with some of the small neighborhoods along its path take the time to explore and appreciate our history, good and bad, in order to give better context to our future as a city.
It is interesting that because I was born in the 70s and was from a middle class family on the Southside, I have all of the same memories of both of the above posters.

I have fond memories of taking the bus to Greenbriar, plus the train to Underground and Lenox (well, the video arcade was all we really went to). Being perplexed by the Rio Mall and Little 5. Watching the skyline go up tower by tower. I also remember Nakato's as being the only place in all of Atlanta we could go for real Japanese food. I could go on and on.

+2 for the memories

One interesting thing about your post Mal93...I hadn't realized until you wrote it, but I felt the exact same way about the Zoo. The first clear memory I have of going there was in Kindergarten and totally remember being freaked out/upset by the smell and dank condition of Willie B's cell. Add to that, he was pissed off about something that day and began tossing stuff around as soon as we were in eye shot. Talk about a nightmare!

Old 05-10-2012, 02:49 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times
as a little kid in the 90s, i can verify that underground atlanta/five points + the world of coke area was safer than it is now. there were homeless people, yeah, but there was everybody else, too. the place was bustling and had people everywhere, shops open and everything. that's just about the only area i can think of in the city limits that has gotten worse. it's not "hood" by any means but it's just... abandoned.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:42 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
I love this sort of thread ... as a newcomer to Atlanta, I have no clue about how things were before the end of 2004 , except for what little I saw on a brief trip in the mid-90's, so this is very very very interesting background information. Sounds like Atlanta would have been a VERY interesting place to grow up!

Old 05-12-2012, 02:29 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,079 times
Very interesting post. Minneapolis in the 90s wasn't quite the same but there was definitely a similar party atmosphere, with hundreds of local bands, house parties, dance parties, raves, skaters down town all night in the summer, etc. Fashions were similar, with the bright patchwork hilifiger shirts, snap backs, surf shorts, air jordans, retro pumas and adidas. I remember we were all obsessed with college basketball snap backs and t shirts. For colleges not in our state, that we didn't even really know where they were. Not sure why, kind of funny in retrospect. By the way, all those 90s clothes are making a big comeback right now for the younger crowd. 90s retro means I am old now, sigh.

The other similarity I've noticed with Atlanta to other metros is that the days of party scenes, or just a lot of people being out and about, especially kids, seem to be long gone. Aside from baseball games, downtown and even uptown Minneapolis are dead. I was in midtown Atlanta last night and it seemed pretty dead, too. Downtown here always seems dead. When I walk around Midtown or Downtown in the evening I literally run into no other people. Even on weekends. Maybe some poor soul down on his luck. Or some confused tourists. GA Tech parents heading to Gordon Biersch. Perhaps I'm not going to the right parts? I almost never see big groups of kids, with one exception, when I'm sitting at Java Monkey in Decatur at around 3:15pm, and Decatur High gets out. About 40 kids show up and take the patio over, don't buy anything, and share the 4 cigarettes they have between the bunch of them.

Even in Manhattan there is no party scene anymore. People are out, but they are out at trendy restaurants and expensive bars. There are no dance clubs anymore. You don't really see big groups of kids hanging out anywhere. A friend of mine jokingly claims it is the fault of the internet. Nobody goes out because they are inside on their computer. He may actually be right!

Old 05-12-2012, 09:05 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Even in Manhattan there is no party scene anymore. People are out, but they are out at trendy restaurants and expensive bars. There are no dance clubs anymore.
Whatever happened to places like Webster Hall? I had some great times there in the 80s and 90s.

I think you are right about the internets taking over. Last year we went to the opening of a nightclub here in Atlanta that was supposed to be a big deal and I swear 75% of the people in there were texting, emailing and/or pretending they were talking to somebody on the phone. A number of people even had two phones. Talk about lively!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta