Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 PM

906 posts, read 1,752,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No, I'll have to admit I haven't seen any statistics on who pays for the roads. Based on what you hear on the radio and in general conversation, though, it stands to reason that the folks fighting against higher taxes (i.e., conservatives) would be those who are already laying out a bundle. When you read about 30,000 people lining up to get a form for Section 8 and that 1 in 5 people is on food stamps, you have to wonder whether they are putting in a lot for roads.

Maybe they are, however. I'd certainly be open to seeing the numbers.
In addition to that link I posted above, you might want to take a look at the following book: Amazon.com: What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America (9780805077742): Thomas Frank: Books

This was the first major political book that studied the fact that in the last few decades, lower income folks often vote more conservative than middle and high income folks. And that's despite the fact that liberals are more likely to keep programs in place that assist them financially.

And btw, I think Cameron is coming down sort of hard on you. In my experience, most people share the (false) assumption that conservatives are more likely to pay more in taxes. Even anecdotally, I can aver that the vast majority of my extended family that receives some form of public assistance vote conservative. (Only one liberal I can think of who does that.) I think they're hypocrites, and I'm constantly amazed at their lack of self-awareness. But in my experience, the loudest "No taxes no government" types are the quickest to ask for the handouts that they complain about, as soon as they qualify for that assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 12:52 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,271,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
And btw, I think Cameron is coming down sort of hard on you. In my experience, most people share the (false) assumption that conservatives are more likely to pay more in taxes.
Maybe. Oftentimes I can't even discern what arjay's position actually is, what with all the "Oh, I don't know, that's just what I've heard on the radio..." business. That's why I asked straight-up "Is this your assumption?" I still never got an answer.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:53 PM

32,063 posts, read 37,028,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
In other words, your suggestion that conservatives pay their own way, while those of us with different political views don't, is without foundation. It would be nice if you simply acknowledged that, instead of continuing to dodge and weave.
Cameron, I know there are a lot of dumb, hypocritical people drawing government benefits who nonetheless claim to be conservatives in favor of less government. It's the height of foolishness, in the literal sense.

I have also paid in a great deal of taxes, including times when the rates were much higher than they are now. I'm okay with all that. While I have never made any sort of claim for individual benefits I understand the benefits we all get from paying our taxes.

What concerns me most, frankly, is that I am not at all sure there will be anything to help my own children and grandchildren if they come on difficult times. I have tried to look after them but of course one gets older and no one is around forever. What sort of safety net will there be for them?

Anyway, we have strayed far from the topic of the thread. Let's get this transportation referendum passed and get our region back on track.

Old 06-22-2012, 02:07 PM

32,063 posts, read 37,028,726 times
Quote:
In addition to that link I posted above, you might want to take a look at the following book: Amazon.com: What's the Matter with Kansas?: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America (9780805077742): Thomas Frank: Books

This was the first major political book that studied the fact that in the last few decades, lower income folks often vote more conservative than middle and high income folks. And that's despite the fact that liberals are more likely to keep programs in place that assist them financially.
K-Saw, I have read it and actually met the author one time. It's amazing how prone we humans are to shoot ourselves in the foot.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:54 PM

906 posts, read 1,752,988 times
Quote:
K-Saw, I have read it and actually met the author one time. It's amazing how prone we humans are to shoot ourselves in the foot.
How cool! I bet that was an interesting interaction.

The data I've seen this year so far have been interesting: socioeconomically speaking, it's something like non-minority low income voters (under $35 K or so) + high income voters ($300K) = conservative voter base in the United States. There are obviously a lot more voters in the former group than the latter, even though the latter benefit far more from conservative economic philosophy (at least on a taxation basis).

To bring this back to the referendum, I wonder if the socioeconomics are similar for the T-SPLOST support? I mean, it seems obvious that the primary divide in support seems to be urban vs. suburban. I've posted elsewhere that there's also a gender divide, so it's reasonable to suspect that the TSPLOST support may also vary with other social variables (like income). It just may be the case, though, that those who stand to benefit the most from mass transit may be supporting the TSPLOST less than those who can afford to drive their cars anywhere they please!

And this probably supports Cameron's assertion that "tribalism"--e.g, "I and my urban bretheren want more trains, but we'll deal with your roads as needed" vs. "We suburbans don't need YOUR loser trains"--is dictating voter behavior more than anything else.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,192,700 times
Quote:
It's more of the softening up of America. When conservatives want to go somewhere they simply get in the car and go. They don't need special taxpayer funded 8 foot wide "multiuse bike trails." If they did they would build them with their own money.
Then why the hell do they fight this stuff? I thought libertarian/conservatives favored freedom!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:25 PM

16,737 posts, read 29,753,278 times

Part 1: Mr. Stan Still's Guide to Atlanta Traffic - YouTube

Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 PM

16,737 posts, read 29,753,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
T-SPLOST Advocates Inject Wit, Whimsy Into Media Orgy - Video Interlude - Curbed Atlanta

Old 06-22-2012, 09:32 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,192,700 times
Quote:
How cool! I bet that was an interesting interaction.

The data I've seen this year so far have been interesting: socioeconomically speaking, it's something like non-minority low income voters (under $35 K or so) + high income voters ($300K) = conservative voter base in the United States. There are obviously a lot more voters in the former group than the latter, even though the latter benefit far more from conservative economic philosophy (at least on a taxation basis).

To bring this back to the referendum, I wonder if the socioeconomics are similar for the T-SPLOST support? I mean, it seems obvious that the primary divide in support seems to be urban vs. suburban. I've posted elsewhere that there's also a gender divide, so it's reasonable to suspect that the TSPLOST support may also vary with other social variables (like income). It just may be the case, though, that those who stand to benefit the most from mass transit may be supporting the TSPLOST less than those who can afford to drive their cars anywhere they please!

And this probably supports Cameron's assertion that "tribalism"--e.g, "I and my urban bretheren want more trains, but we'll deal with your roads as needed" vs. "We suburbans don't need YOUR loser trains"--is dictating voter behavior more than anything else.
This. I favor an all-of-the-above approach to transportation. Let the 'burbs have their roads (but not eight lanes wide ) and the city have its transit (but get the zoning density first).

Old 06-24-2012, 06:06 PM

23,726 posts, read 25,008,337 times
http://beltline.org/wp-content/uploa...05/TIA-101.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta