Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 10,250 times

Advertisements

I will be starting a new job in Morrow. PeachTree City is a little more of a commute than I would like but it appears that Tyrone, Fayetteville, McDonough, and Stockbridge are declining. I have a child that will be in Middle school. I need information to help me decide on PTC or one of the others. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 AM

74 posts, read 148,289 times
I would say Henry is on the rise, not decline. People says its on the decline, but with the tremendous growth it's had in the past decade, more problems come with the territory. I have lived there since 1996. I have loved seeing all the new growth. There is a lot of money in the area. Throughout the recession, Henry has had many new businesses open and move here. Check it out for yourself before passing judgement based on comments from people who never lived here.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,383,271 times
I moved to Henry county 3 years ago, so I can't really comment on changes over the years, BUT I don't think one can make one generalization about the entire county. From what I've seen, we have really good parts, some not good parts, and just normal parts. Some parts are more suburban, and other parts more rural. My oldest child is in the public school system, and her elementary school is pretty good (great principal and great teachers).
I've had a lot of people suggest that I move to Fayette, but I also don't want to do that drive to Morrow every day.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:03 AM

74 posts, read 148,289 times
I think Henry will end up similar to Gwinnett. Goods parts and not so good parts, but a nice place to live as a whole.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:04 AM

135 posts, read 533,155 times
Traffic in Henry is horrible. I grew up in Henry county (since 1995), parents still live there. I loathe the commute from Atlanta down there when visiting because I'll hit traffic midday on a Saturday. It's absolutely less predictable than Atlanta traffic.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:37 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,911,741 times
When someone says that Fayetteville is "in decline," I always think of that famous quote by Mark Twain: "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated!" I have deep roots in Fayetteville, where my mom's family has been since the 1830s, and go back often to visit. Sure, I can see in some ways that the community is "changing" -- but it's far from "declining" like some of the horror stories I hear. Coming from Savannah, I find the negative stuff people say about Fayetteville hilarious -- and also a bit sad.

Like everywhere else in Metro Atlanta, Fayette County saw an increase in minorities in the last 10 years -- but the actual numbers are nothing what people assume. Fayette Pavilion draws something like 70 percent of its customers and 90 percent of its workers from Clayton and South Fulton counties, and Fayetteville is the largest retail / service employment center (ie minimum wage) on the Southside, but none of those workers can afford to live there. It gives a false impression. In fact, there's very little "affordable" housing anywhere in Fayette County, except for Peachtree City (where Section 8 is allowed and gangs are a growing problem, even on the golf cart paths).

Don't fall into the trap of thinking PTC is paradise and your only option == and then dealing with a horrid commute. You'd be fine in Fayetteville. Especially on the Southside. The Whitewater schools are excellent and the commute from there to Morrow painless.

Last edited by Newsboy; 05-04-2012 at 05:45 AM..

Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,684 times
I'm familiar with the sense of Fayetteville declining, but Tyrone? It's a little country but overall I don't think Tyrone is a bad place to live. Personally, I would choose anything in Fayette over Henry county any day of the week. I went to Starr's Mill High School (2002) and it was a great school.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:58 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Coming from Savannah, I find the negative stuff people say about Fayetteville hilarious -- and also a bit sad.
Grew up in Fayetteville and went to school in Savannah. I remember thinking the same exact thing! I used to have arguments with friends that would tell me (this is 15 years ago), "Ill bet you $100, in 10 years, Fayette County will be just like Clayton County!" Hmmmm, not seeing those 1/4 acre lots and liquor stores quite yet!

If you want beauty and not have neighbors right next to your bathroom window, Unincorporated Fayette County is the way to go.

However, the Pavilion SUCKS. Don't judge Fayette County or Fayetteville on this one commercial stretch. Fayette County's greatest mistake ever was to bridge the gap between Point South (AHA Relocation Site #1), South Fulton, and Fayetteville. Fayetteville would be a much different place if the Pavilion was built on the west side near the hospital.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,236,024 times
I think it is racist to assume blacks do not have conservative tendencies.

I don't think black folks move to Henry and fayette with the objective of changing it. Its what those communities are that attracting the growing middle to upper middle class.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:35 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Quote:
Traffic in Henry is horrible. I grew up in Henry county (since 1995), parents still live there. I loathe the commute from Atlanta down there when visiting because I'll hit traffic midday on a Saturday. It's absolutely less predictable than Atlanta traffic.
I just wanted to corroborate this!

I don't travel down there much, but I do drive to Florida several times per year. Every time I'm heading down I-75, I breathe a sigh of relief once I make it through the city. But it's always the same story....no matter what time of day it is, once I hit the 675 junction, traffic slows and is bumper to bumper from about a mile north of Hudson Bridge Road until Jonesboro Road and sometimes it doesn't even clear up until N. McDonough Road.

I'm not sure what is going on down there, but traffic is awful. And I say that coming from the north side!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta