Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 10:45 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,108,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh, yeah, people jump to all kinds of conclusions based on appearance. Would they have the same reaction to these photos if the people in them were white? What if turned out that these were young doctors completing their neurosurgery residencies? That's often terribly unfair and unjustified.

Still, we have to recognize that we all get stereotyped by our appearance.
Let be real though race is apart of the issue. Your more likely to be slurred "as ghetto" if you black for doing middle class things, if your not wearing a tie than your ghetto there little room in between. Less than 20% of African american live in poverty how ever most African American listen to Hiphop or R&B the pattern has nothing to do with class.

But better if below was a white guy selling purses in NYC or London would he be call a redneck? Some one brought up "What makes a store "ghetto"?" I want to know too! I want to know is a purse stand with black owner "ghetto" because no one is giving definition beside me but the word "ghetto is surly be thrown a lot.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3532/...29c146eb_o.jpg

As I said the area needs work in alot of areas like keeping better shape of historic bulidings, maybe diverse it up a little more, there a homeless issue but what was brought up was really a non issue. It's crazy posters complain that people don't walk in Atlanta but when folks do, posters complain about that too. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes--very attractive.
I thought so too, I'm not even going to lie ROFL. ) But my point was how do we know is she a baby momma or not? the area was said to be full of "baby mommas not mothers but baby mommas" how do we go about knowing this? I trying to give them a chance to justified that statement. IMAO it was said because there were a lot of younger black women there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 11:19 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Let be real though race is apart of the issue. Your more likely to be slurred "as ghetto" if you black for doing middle class things, if your not wearing a tie than your ghetto there little room in between. Less than 20% of African american live in poverty how ever most African American listen to Hiphop or R&B the pattern has nothing to do with class.

But better if below was a white guy selling purses in NYC or London would he be call a redneck? Some one brought up "What makes a store "ghetto"?" I want to know too! I want to know is a purse stand with black owner "ghetto" because no one is giving definition beside me but the word "ghetto is surly be thrown a lot.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3532/...29c146eb_o.jpg

As I said the area needs work in alot of areas like keeping better shape of historic bulidings, maybe diverse it up a little more, there a homeless issue but what was brought up was really a non issue. It's crazy posters complain that people don't walk in Atlanta but when folks do, posters complain about that too. )

I thought so too, I'm not even going to lie ROFL. ) But my point was how do we know is she a baby momma or not? the area was said to be full of "baby mommas not mothers but baby mommas" how do we go about knowing this? I trying to give them a chance to justified that statement. IMAO it was said because there were a lot of younger black women there.
Great post, chiatldal. Well said--and it needed to be said.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,879,787 times
Quote:

no, it's not "ghetto" but selling purses out of a roadside stand is a bit sketchy. i've seen knockoff bootleg DVDs and pretty sketchy stuff for sale in the area. which, honestly, i think adds an interesting character. but for south downtown to be entirely represented by sketchy retail creates an area that appeals only to a certain demographic for only part of the time, it reduces the volume of people going there, makes people not want to live there and the place becomes mostly deserted.

what south downtown needs is more restaurants and shops that serve a more general purpose like grocery stores, and apartments and condos. the biggest problem is that people do not live there.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:00 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,143,170 times
Actually, my friends live in an apartment in the South CBD...there are a few lofts and studio apartment in South CBD. There is actually a small decent area in the south CBD that has a few amenities. If all of the South CBD was like where my friends live, that area would be soooo much better. It's where that Momma Mia's restaurant is. They are college students who go to GSU.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:14 AM

369 posts, read 657,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
GSU should try and move in that direction. I think if the linear park from State Capital to Five Points Station, Green Line, is ever built it will do a lot to help that area. Plans & Initiatives | Green Line Plan
I just don't like the plan because it looks like it eliminates a lot of the historic structures.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 AM

369 posts, read 657,605 times
Quote:
I get what your saying but the intentional statement is completely missed, rather instead we have this over the top hasty generalizations of never meant statements in the first place. Base on people own prejudice.

I'm posting these pics directly because this what people are scared of. This is what some posters are afraid of and who they are disrespecting. I'm this is directly the suppose "major problem" My mind is thinking who told these posters they are better than these people.

OH NO PEOPLE nothing special just normal people, this is Horrible!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/...ae2719b0_o.jpg

You know, baby momma really mean mothers without the father, but I would love to know how do a baby momma suppose to look like to know if a place is full of baby momas?

Are these baby mommas?

Is this a baby momma?.............

I feel the area needs work in alot of areas but what was brought up was really a non issue.

I think the biggest problem with the underground/five points area is that its architecture is old and outdated. 1970s and early 80s vernacular did not stand the the test of time. Especially the 1970s with its brutalist designs was really the most horrible time period in architectural history. I really don't understand the fascination to pave over everything in concrete and cover it in bricks as far as the eye can see. I hate this about Baltimore's Inner Harbor too which is dated as well.

Where's the green? I think if there was more green space, trees and they got rid of that modernist and post modern architecture (which seems to be making a comeback unfortunately) it would be a vast improvement. They also need to find a away to level it so its at grade and you're not feeling like you're in a ditch.

They need to embrace the historic structures in and around that area and let them take center stage.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Your to right readyset about the lack of greenspace in the five points plaza. That's what Fairlie Popular has overfive points. Create some green at underground

Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why do y'all think Fairlie Poplar has never really caught fire? It seems to me it would be absolutely perfect as an area lined with cafes, bars, galleries, etc.
Mainly because there's not many people there at night. However, the area is very different, for the better, now than it was ten years ago. I remember going down to a concert at the Rialto and hoping to have a beer before the show. There was nowhere in the area to get a beer, or sit down for a meal. I would have had to go to Peachtree Center, or Underground for that. Now, there are several places you can go to eat or drink in Fairlie-Poplar at night. Slice, Sidebar, Ted's, Landmark, Anatolia's, Cafe Intermezzo, etc.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
GSU should try and move in that direction. I think if the linear park from State Capital to Five Points Station, Green Line, is ever built it will do a lot to help that area. Plans & Initiatives | Green Line Plan
It's strange that the plan in that link says the green line will run from the Capitol to the arena. If you drive down Memorial Drive, it looks like it's going to extend all the way to Oakland Cemetery. In fact, the stretch between the Capitol and the cemetery is the only portion that appears to have been worked on at all.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:05 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
maybe something like this The Death and Life of Downtown Shopping Districts - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities can spark redevelopment in downtown? Although it would be completing with Buckhead and not suburban malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta