Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 06:47 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,144,382 times

Advertisements

I agree with DTL and I'm black. The people who hang around that area are very toxic. To those trying to defend the people who regularly hang in that area, again, really? I went into the McDonalds on Marietta Str. and there was this dude who was yelling at the cashiers(I think he was homeless) about how they weren't giving him his order even though he didn't pay for anything. He was black too. Does that make me racist against my own kind because I thought what he was doing was ghetto and hood?

Blacks can be racist too. Trust me when I say this and they stereotype just as much as any other race on this planet.

Point is, THAT AREA OF DOWNTOWN NEEDS TO BE RE-DONE. I would not want to be a tourist in that area of downtown. I feel like I'm in Flatbush in New York or something lol when I walk around in that area.

You can even see a crime map and see that area is the area in downtown with the most crime. I remember someone posting one not too long ago. I am not surprised at all.

The unfortunate thing is, that area has mostly black people so everything that goes on will associate with blacks.

DTL is not being racist. He's just being truthful and for the most part, I agree with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 07:55 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,551,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
...some racist blogger... with a chip on their shoulder?

Unfortunately, for you, he/she is not racist.

White racial frame - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

colour-blind racism « Abagond

colour-blind racism: the four frames « Abagond

Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,652,287 times
The fact remains that you are arguing with a person because they are commenting about low income individuals and you are faulting them for being racist when they weren't specifically speaking about race.

Just because people aren't talking about race doesn't mean that in the back of their mind they are thinking about race. Surprisingly, most white people don't think about everything as being a black and white issue. If a white person makes a comment that happens to correspond with a certain race, then people allude that they are really talking about race and are, of course, racists.

It's a ridiculous train of thought and is very rude to many people who try to make intelligent comments on this board. While some people do have that sentiment, it does not make up a majority of the people and could be seen as offensive to many posters.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:37 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,551,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
The fact remains that you are arguing with a person because they are commenting about low income individuals and you are faulting them for being racist when they weren't specifically speaking about race.

Just because people aren't talking about race doesn't mean that in the back of their mind they are thinking about race. Surprisingly, most white people don't think about everything as being a black and white issue. If a white person makes a comment that happens to correspond with a certain race, then people allude that they are really talking about race and are, of course, racists.

It's a ridiculous train of thought and is very rude to many people who try to make intelligent comments on this board. While some people do have that sentiment, it does not make up a majority of the people and could be seen as offensive to many posters.
Um, I'm not arguing with him. Uh, as if.

The r-word « Abagond

http://www.derailingfordummies.com/e....html#innocent

Old 06-01-2012, 02:07 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,880,801 times
can we stop the race crap? south downtown sucks because
A) nobody lives there and it's just a place for unemployed people to gather during the day
B) there's fewer jobs located in south downtown
C) many of the historic buildings creating an urban fabric were torn down in the 70s and are now just parking lots
D) there is a huge homeless population that no one seems to care about

can we get back on topic, which, last time i checked was the urban core of atlanta, midtown and downtown.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,885,403 times
GSU should try and move in that direction. I think if the linear park from State Capital to Five Points Station, Green Line, is ever built it will do a lot to help that area. Plans & Initiatives | Green Line Plan

Old 06-01-2012, 07:57 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,109,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
So what you are saying is that black folks are incapable of being racist unless provoked by someone being racist towards them?

Nope, I wasn't doing anything. I was minding my own business just hanging out downtown when this idiot started mouthing off about the white trash that was in his way preventing him from ordering. He even had the staff yelling at him to leave(not because of the white trash thing but he was doing other idiotic things) and I wouldn't have been surprised if the cops showed up soon after I'd left because I heard one of the staff threaten to call them several times.

That's just one of a few incidents. I had one guy ask me "how many people I have arrested" one day. Oh, I get it. I'm white so I must be a cop since white people don't belong south of Alabama St. Hah! Clever.

Anyway, until people like you realize that the gripe is about the CLASS of people and not the RACE of people who hang out around 5 Points, Atlanta will continue to have this problem. Too many people shove their heads in the sand and/or cry "Racism!" when someone criticizes anything to do with "urban culture." And since when did low rent lowlifes claim a monopoly on the word "urban"? Ghetto maybe, but not urban. When someone says "rural" no one automatically thinks of redneck white trash.
No, and that Classic straw man.

I don't believe racism is rampant to note a place, You brought this up as if this is common. Your not saying there are black racists out there, of course there unfortunately like all groups. But that's not what your saying. Your asking me can blacks be racists but your describing it as common. That's totally two different things and a straw man.

Also the words and terms you used in you post are questionable. blacks say the n-word like blacks say ghetto, 90% of the time when blacks say ghetto we don't mean anything negative, like blacks commonly say the n-word and not referring something negative. black will something like hair braids are ghetto or a name is ghetto where nothing negative about it. Basically saying the word ghetto for something negative is nearly like saying the N-word if your white.

Also the fail part you don't know these people you don't there class! you assuming this because your not their demographic.. not just race but they dress in urban clothing right. If I was there in a Tall T I would be ghetto too huh? I going off what you describe, Hiphop is known as Urban culture, did they look like the link I posted there's a reason why I posted it. What made you chose the word baby mommas there's nothing but baby mommas there really? Of course racism on any level is wrong they shouldn't had been saying "white trash" But I'm listen to you all I know your saying slurs while trying to general racism as common to a area. Like WoW

again
- One Hour - One City: Atlanta - 5 Points! - - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 06-01-2012, 08:43 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,109,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post

You don't even to have be conscious of race to be racist, If someone completely rip on everything to relating Chinese culture and heritage, and oh it's not your race? I'm sorry that person is racist. And my issue was he was presenting the racism as if was common, which is ironic because his post was questionable with in itself. But anyways.

The problem is some folks don't know the difference between what is a thug, and someone who generally dress in urban clothing. sadly I guess this relates to the Travon Martin Hoody thing. Dude said "Nowadays it's all a bunch of Baby Mommas and dudes in XXXXXXL white tees just hanging out with nothing better to do." So basically because their dressing reflects urban culture he assume there "lowlifes" It become prejudice when the difference is not acknowledge. But of course it not! that's why "it's all a bunch" and "Atlanta will continue to have this problem" Dude said there nothing but baby mommas there? WTF? Really

Old 06-01-2012, 10:01 AM

208 posts, read 419,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
The problem is some folks don't know the difference between what is a thug, and someone who generally dress in urban clothing. sadly I guess this relates to the Travon Martin Hoody thing. Dude said "Nowadays it's all a bunch of Baby Mommas and dudes in XXXXXXL white tees just hanging out with nothing better to do." So basically because their dressing reflects urban culture he assume there "lowlifes" It become prejudice when the difference is not acknowledge. But of course it not! that's why "it's all a bunch" and "Atlanta will continue to have this problem" Dude said there nothing but baby mommas there? WTF? Really
Seeing someone's pants sagging with underwear with run marks is not something that brightens my day (and yes I HAVE seen it at Lenox Mall).

Just because I hate the style doesn't mean I'm going to whip out an oozy and start mowing down people..

Old 06-01-2012, 10:39 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,652,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You don't even to have be conscious of race to be racist, If someone completely rip on everything to relating Chinese culture and heritage, and oh it's not your race? I'm sorry that person is racist. And my issue was he was presenting the racism as if was common, which is ironic because his post was questionable with in itself. But anyways.

I agree with you about his inappropriate calling of women baby mommas and men with XL white tees thugs. I don't agree with his statement about that at all.

I was trying to say, for example:

I don't like people who use their cell phones when being interviewed. I think it is rude and unprofessional and they will likely not be hired. If 75% of the people doing this is white, then does that make me a racist towards white people?

Just because I don't like certain rude behaviors, does not mean I'm racist towards an ethnic group that participates in them. I would not like people doing that regardless of race. Maybe that is what he was trying to say? (I'm not sure of course.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta