Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:37 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,229,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
I actually road pass the varsity it looked really cool, similar to a place called "orginials" we have here in Pgh.

Another question i have, I was driving through midtown Sat night and drove down this street where about 40-50 homeless people were just hanging out & sleeping on the pavement. Is this normal, are there a lot of homeless folk in Atlanta?
Yes, there are a lot of homeless folk here in Atlanta. I don't know if it's worse than any other major city but homelessness is a huge problem here, because a lot of people moved here thinking Atlanta is the promised land and could not find jobs. You also have people here that are homeless now because they can't find work after being laid off since the recession started. I'm one of those people facing homeless because I can't find a job that pays enough to pay rent since loosing my government job in 2009. The only job I could get was fast food--and I only got that job because I knew the manager. Hadn't been for him giving me a job at his restaurant, I'd be jobless AND homeless, as I have not gotten any other job offers in three years. Wait, I take that back. I was offered a job at Target for $7.75 an hour.

I knew a guy who worked in Atlanta in the hotel industry for 13 years. He was laid off and wasn't able to find work at another hotel in the Atlanta area. I'm not saying that to dissuade you from coming here as you are educated. Hopefully you will find a job in your field with no problems. However the job market is pretty bad and economic experts predict that Georgia's job market will not recover to pre-recession levels for another ten years at least.

Yeah sure Atlanta has nice areas to visit and live but you need to have a job. Hopefully you and your girlfriend will find some. You need to decide what you will do if you move here with savings, that savings runs out and you still haven't found work. Things are slowly turning around so maybe you and your girlfriend will have better luck than the thousands of us who already live here and can't find decent work.

Good luck!

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 04-03-2012 at 05:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 08:40 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,887,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
Yes, there are a lot of homeless folk here in Atlanta. I don't know if it's worse than any other major city but homelessness is a huge problem here, because a lot of people moved here thinking Atlanta is the promised land and could not find jobs. You also have people here that are homeless now because they can't find work after being laid off since the recession started. I'm one of those people facing homeless because I can't find a job that pays enough to pay rent since loosing my government job in 2009. The only job I could get was fast food--and I only got that job because I knew the manager. Hadn't been for him giving me a job at his restaurant, I'd be jobless AND homeless, as I have not gotten any other job offers in three years. Wait, I take that back. I was offered a job at Target for $7.75 an hour.

I knew a guy who worked in Atlanta in the hotel industry for 13 years. He was laid off and wasn't able to find work at another hotel in the Atlanta area. I'm not saying that to dissuade you from coming here as you are educated. Hopefully you will find a job in your field with no problems. However the job market is pretty bad and economic experts predict that Georgia's job market will not recover to pre-recession levels for another ten years at least.

Yeah sure Atlanta has nice areas to visit and live but you need to have a job. Hopefully you and your girlfriend will find some. You need to decide what you will do if you move here with savings, that savings runs out and you still haven't found work. Things are slowly turning around so maybe you and your girlfriend will have better luck than the thousands of us who already live here and can't find decent work.

Good luck!
That really depends on your field and experience. Some types of jobs are hard to get and some are much easier based on what your field, skill, degree and experience is.

For example, I get recuriters calling and e-mailing me everyday about IT jobs here. In essense the economy and job market is based on the individual more than anything here.

Old 04-03-2012, 08:53 AM

I agree. But the OP doesn't have an IT background, it's hospitality. Since the recession a couple of the bigger hotels have closed in Atlanta so I don't know how in demand hospitality workers are. Maybe he can find a recruiter who specialzes in his field or he can get an internship with a major chain here.

It's pretty hard to find work in Atlanta if you aren't in the medical or IT fields these days. What you say would be true if everyone on this forum who wants to move here works in IT. From what I've observed on this forum is that most of the people who want to flock here ARE NOT IT professionals or many don't have jobs at all but they come here thinking that "the ATL" is gonna roll out the red carpet for them when we have too many unemployed and under-employed people here as it is.

I don't get why people think this place is so great. It's really not all that and Im trying my best to leave lol.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:30 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,887,896 times
Quote:
I agree. But the OP doesn't have an IT background, it's hospitality. Since the recession a couple of the bigger hotels have closed in Atlanta so I don't know how in demand hospitality workers are. Maybe he can find a recruiter who specialzes in his field or he can get an internship with a major chain here.

It's pretty hard to find work in Atlanta if you aren't in the medical or IT fields these days. What you say would be true if everyone on this forum who wants to move here works in IT. From what I've observed on this forum is that most of the people who want to flock here ARE NOT IT professionals or many don't have jobs at all but they come here thinking that "the ATL" is gonna roll out the red carpet for them when we have too many unemployed and under-employed people here as it is.

I don't get why people think this place is so great. It's really not all that and Im trying my best to leave lol.
If you think I implied that all the people moving here were in IT then you missed the point. My point is certain industries like Medical and IT are doing just fine. I heard finance was also doing well. Basically, anything that requires a skill or degree that isn't based in the construction industry is doing average to great here.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
That really depends on your field and experience. Some types of jobs are hard to get and some are much easier based on what your field, skill, degree and experience is.

For example, I get recuriters calling and e-mailing me everyday about IT jobs here. In essense the economy and job market is based on the individual more than anything here.
Quote:
If you think I implied that all the people moving here were in IT then you missed the point. My point is certain industries like Medical and IT are doing just fine. I heard finance was also doing well. Basically, anything that requires a skill or degree that isn't based in the construction industry is doing average to great here.
I didn't miss your point at all. I said your point doesn't not apply to the OP who clearly stated that his background and education is hospitality. Your information doesnt benefit the OP unless he has IT experience that he'd rather use to pursue work here instead of hospitality.

This isn't a general thread. This is a thread posted by someone who visited here, liked it, is consdering relocation here with an education that is not in either of the fields you mentioned. While it's good info to know, it doesn't help him.

What does help him is the truth--and that truth is that there aren't many jobs here outside what you mentioned that pay well even with a degree.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I didn't miss your point at all. I said your point doesn't apply to the OP who clearly stated that his background and education is hospitality. Your information doesnt benefit the OP unless he has IT experience that he'd rather use to pursue work here instead of hospitality.

This isn't a general thread. This is a thread posted by someone who visited here, liked it, and is consdering relocation here with an education that is not in either of the fields you mentioned. While it's good info to know, it doesn't help him.

What does help him is the truth--and that truth is that there aren't many jobs here outside what you mentioned that pay well even with a degree and we'd be doing him a disservice by telling him that the job market here is great when it isn't.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:47 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,918,567 times
Quote:

You will never know why people think the place is great.. People arent supposed to like the same thing thats what make people and places different. Lesson for u : stop trying to put the world in your eyes and how u see things.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,031,064 times
Quote:

The airport is open daily. Leave. One less person in traffic I have to deal with

Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,387,113 times
Quote:
Since the recession a couple of the bigger hotels have closed in Atlanta so I don't know how in demand hospitality workers are. Maybe he can find a recruiter who specialzes in his field or he can get an internship with a major chain here.
Just exactly which major hotels have closed since the recession? Please name them.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
The airport is open daily. Leave. One less person in traffic I have to deal with
Oh I plan to. And looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta