Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:21 PM

237 posts, read 600,862 times

Advertisements

I like your spirit! Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 05:19 PM

893 posts, read 1,324,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexandCajun View Post
I like your spirit! Good luck to you.

Thank you!

Old 03-30-2012, 05:38 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
If the OP is from Pittsburgh ( not sure of the abbreviation) it is not like it is 70 degrees in August there and oh by the way they get humidity too.

The weather is nice here and sun year around is awesome, yet another reason many of us moved here. Moving to a new city is fun and exciting, I wouldn't be deterred if you up for the adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Thanks for all the compliments but we only get a couple of weeks of this weather in the spring and it's right back to 80's and 90's. In fact a week ago it was in the 80's. I could say that you're lucky to wake up in August to 70 degree weather.

It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation but do yourself a favor and don't decide to move to a new city simply because of the weather or because the service industry workers were courteous. That's their job. It's not an indication of what everyone will be like.

You need to do your due diligence before picking up and moving.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
It gets quite hot and humid in PGH, and to find central air conditioning you have to go to a shopping mall and a few other select places. Atlanta is much better equipped to handle

Old 03-31-2012, 09:10 AM

311 posts, read 843,805 times
Glad ya had a good time Rashan! You and your gf sound alot like me and my BF. We moved here with plenty of savings and both found jobs within 4 months. It's good to have a job lined up before you come but even if you can't get one be smart about the move and don't be afraid. Just work hard at finding something and don't be afraid of temp work since it can lead to a good full time job as in my bf's case ( Note: This message is for the one with really marketable skills like Rashan lol)

Old 03-31-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
Glad ya had a good time Rashan! You and your gf sound alot like me and my BF. We moved here with plenty of savings and both found jobs within 4 months. It's good to have a job lined up before you come but even if you can't get one be smart about the move and don't be afraid. Just work hard at finding something and don't be afraid of temp work since it can lead to a good full time job as in my bf's case ( Note: This message is for the one with really marketable skills like Rashan lol)

thanks for the words of encouragement.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
No waffle House or Varsity? That's just wrong.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
No waffle House or Varsity? That's just wrong.
I actually road pass the varsity it looked really cool, similar to a place called "orginials" we have here in Pgh.

Another question i have, I was driving through midtown Sat night and drove down this street where about 40-50 homeless people were just hanging out & sleeping on the pavement. Is this normal, are there a lot of homeless folk in Atlanta?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:25 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
Lets not kid ourselves. We get some pretty bad weather here if you don't like the heat. And we don't have a very good track record when it comes to tornados and I find those very frightening being not far from where some have recently hit.

I will refer anyone who's interested in comparing the heat from pgh to atl to the following non-commercial, non-advertising links

Pennsylvania Interactive Gardening Heat Zones Map

and

Georgia Interactive Gardening Heat Zones Map

If you're not accustomed to running an air conditioner, that's another thing you're going to have to factor in to your budget and cost of living. Many factors go into what that cost is going to be but it can easily run $200-300 a month at georgia power rates for a two story sub-d house in the sun.

And while our winters are very mild in comparison, they still cost money. Particularly if you're stuck with electric heat pumps.

We get about 2 weeks of really fantastic weather in the spring and about 4 weeks of really fantastic weather in the fall. Our most unpleasant month is August in my opinion. That's where it's just really humid and mid 90's and and it can remain in the 90's til late at night (like 11 o clock!) and only just cool down to the low 70s. It's also a very doughty time and we don't get many cloudy days to cool us down.

I'm not saying that kind of miserable heat is unique to atlanta. I actually think it's worse farther north around DC because their humidity is worse and they have such bad gnats and mosquitos. And of course, nobody has Texas beat in the miserable weather department.

My best advice I can give anyone thinking of moving to the area is to buy a home that's in the shade. Luckily such properties are not uncommon here. How do you know if it's shady enough? If there's a bermudagrass lawn growing, there's not enough shade.

I don't know if you've checked the weather lately but the 90's are due to make a comeback this week.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:07 PM

311 posts, read 843,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
I actually road pass the varsity it looked really cool, similar to a place called "orginials" we have here in Pgh.

Another question i have, I was driving through midtown Sat night and drove down this street where about 40-50 homeless people were just hanging out & sleeping on the pavement. Is this normal, are there a lot of homeless folk in Atlanta?
I suspect You drove around the area that houses the Peachtree Pine Homeless shelter. I live near there (but far enough away not to be affected, thank god) and it's a blight on the city that needs to be under new management. There are homeless people in ATL, as with any major city, but not like there are in that particular area.

Just google Peachtree Pine Shelter and you'll find alot of info about it and at least you know where NOT to rent lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta