Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:42 PM

16 posts, read 35,693 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We are recently married and currently living in the Toco Hills area in Dekalb. My wife is working in Alpharetta and has a manageable commute to work everyday while I work in Midtown.

I was wondering what would be the safest (lowest crime, best quality of life) places to live. We don't mind commuting about ~25-30 miles to work.

We are currently looking to rent and our maximum budget is 1400 per month.

We like to go on dates in midtown but we usually do that on the weekend and even if we lived 30miles away it would only be a 40 minute drive at the most on a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,076,746 times
Lowest crime would probably be to go to her work and live in Alpharetta. But then your commute would be fairly miserable.

Why don't you split the difference and live in Sandy Springs? If you choose wisely, you'll still have a low crime rate and you'll have roughly equal commutes to work.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:27 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,266,375 times
Why do you have to leave where you are now? Toco Hills is a nice safe area, with easy access to Midtown and the interstate. I'm confused.

Old 12-10-2011, 11:52 PM

We currently live in a non-gated apartment home community on Druid Hills Road (easy access to highway) and don't think its the safest and there have been incidents of crime. Prefer to live in a gated community, secure condo, homeowners association (rent a house), if we live on this side of town or live in a more quiet/quaint area.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 AM

I know that apartment complex. There are a lot of students who live there. You're not going to find too many gated communities with homeowner's associations in the city, except for newer condos. So, you've effectively ruled out a single family house. If you want a single family house with those characteristics then you'll have to go to the burbs. But if you want to stay intown I'd recommend looking in Decatur or Midtown for a condo.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:36 PM

In terms of renting are most of the options in our price range going to be the 'apartment homes' type communities (i.e. 3 floors in buildings that hold 10 units or less with no elevators.

All of the high rise condos are pretty expensive. A couple of the post properties (on Lavista and in midtown) are pretty nice. In terms of staying in this area and renting what would be our best options?

Would we get more bang for the buck in Alpharetta?

Old 12-11-2011, 01:41 PM

I have a friend that lives in The Marquis apartments on Briarcliff and it seems fine.

Old 12-11-2011, 02:50 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,076,746 times
Quote:
Would we get more bang for the buck in Alpharetta?
Almost definitely.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:27 AM

Thank you for the replies. Alpharetta is looking like a very viable option and would be a great commute for my wife (not the best for me but I would be getting off work after 7 so it wouldn't be bad).

Can anyone suggest any good apartment communities in Alpharetta?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 AM

32,033 posts, read 36,845,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1cktm View Post
We currently live in a non-gated apartment home community on Druid Hills Road (easy access to highway) and don't think its the safest and there have been incidents of crime. Prefer to live in a gated community, secure condo, homeowners association (rent a house), if we live on this side of town or live in a more quiet/quaint area.
I'm not challenging what you're saying in the least but would be curious as to where this is (if you are comfortable with anything more specific) and what types of crime y'all have had. We've got some family over that way and I just want to be sure they are safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta